MERCS Balance Council

• Now that TBS has moved on to their next game, the community now needs to take the task of improving the game upon itself. After discussion and consideration, some of us have decided to form a balance council that will discuss and implement changes to Crushed’s MERCS mod, a mod already heralded by the majority of the competitive players as being an improvement upon the current live patch.

Careful selection has gone into sending individual invites to the council. We did our best to ensure a well-rounded selection of players from multiple classes and clans. Multiple personality types, opinions, and a base level of maturity were all necessary considerations as well. The list of the Balance Council is:

Spook
    Omega
    Keyes
    Palaceer
    HeightofAbsurdity
    Chrisomatic
    Alice
    Firegiant
    Zombo
    Stan
    Rathion
    Dofoo
    Raw Boner
    Crushed
    Cervantes
    Waterboy
    KoN
    Infernal
    Flame

Our goal will be to balance MERCS and make it as good as it possibly can. FHF will save us from the current Caveman Meta to a large degree, but it will be more than that. For the first time in history the community can take complete charge of the game’s fate. We have a chance to break a stagnant meta game and un-break broken weapons. We have a chance to give players reasons to pick up those weapons they’ve wanted to play without saddling them with a huge disadvantage. There will be contention and different beliefs on how to best go about this, which is why it is imperative that the council members canvas the community as well as have the community contact these members with their input. While the council members themselves will be the ones voting on systems of changes, each of us can benefit from multiple perspectives.

This thread is an announcement and won’t be used to discuss individual balance changes, but it will be used to communicate to the community the mod’s progress and other updates that people might be interested in.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• crushed is on the balance council again gg

• I give it 4 months… Maybe.

• Zombo is on this list. I approve.

• with this balance council suggestions actually get added into the game, probably on the same day

• @Le:

I give it 4 months… Maybe.

Why? Maybe I give you 4 months to change your attitude ese. Don’t you know I’m loco?:playful:

• @parkrangerstan:

Why? Maybe I give you 4 months to change your attitude ese. Don’t you know I’m loco?:playful:

Why.

Because simply put, without official support from TBS the only direction this mod can go is that of promod and chiv+.
    Just to be clear, I find this mod to be a vast improvement over live. I can say I also thought the same of both the other efforts this community made to balance the game around the competitive player.

Now if you don’t remember, the general reaction around the release of those mods, was mostly the same. The active members of the comp scene tried out the changes, everyone got hyped, people posted about how amazing the changes were, how they would never go back to vanilla, and how they only wanted to scrim on the modded version. Yet here we are. Again.

Separate versions of the game only works to widen the divide between the “competitive” and “casual” player. And not in a good way.

For a new-ish player having to come into a version of the game where the mechanics are different, the weapon timings are different, the damage values are different. A situation where you now have to re-learn everything will definitely be a deterrent for people looking to make the transition between casual play and competitive. Considering how small the already dwindling the player base is (not to mention the comp scene) I think alienating the players that could keep the game alive doesn’t seem like the best idea.

Like I said, the only way to keep that from being an issue would be to get everyone playing the game onto the mod. And that comes with its own slew of issues. Mostly coming from the fact that no one is ever going to be happy no matter how good it might be. So going ahead and changing everything could very well drive even more people away from the game. Or it might bring people in, I don’t fucking know. I just know that there needs to be cohesion between “versions” or you just end up isolating yourselves and further starving what’s left of the comp scene.

another thing to keep in mind would be: the further you get from vanilla the less likely it is TB would be willing to adopt these changes.

I would write more, but it’s 4am and I’m out of goddamn scotch. I don’t even know why I’m doing this.

tldr; I like what you’re trying to do, but short some sort of miracle and TBS handing over control of the game, I honestly can’t see this going anywhere.

• Can I join the balance council I’m realy good with the flail and I train everyday to stay on top so I can become the best.

• Alright, I’ve got something I’ve been meaning to get off my chest for a while. I’m not sure what a person needs on these forums to be considered to have a valid opinion, so I’ll go ahead and say I primarily play as an Archer. With that said, I bet 3/4 of you don’t give two shits what I have to say. It’s easier that way rather than listing off things like playtime, rank, etc.

I like this mod. I’ve messed around with it since the early stages and the combat plays great. An improvement over vanilla for sure. The people working on this mod are doing good things and it shows that they really care about the well being of the game and it’s community.

Now here’s the part thats important to me personally. I dread the moment that TB decides to hand off game balance to some self entitled so-called “elite” players. I have nothing against these people in the slightest, but I don’t know any other way to express my point without sounding like an ass to a select few.

I’ve been lurking on these forums for a long time so don’t be fooled by my register date. Going by what I see posted on these forums on a regular basis…. Mercs to me is a potential precursor to Chivalry: Knights vs Vanguards.

Throw me in with everything Le Djentleman said too.

• Ey Djentleman do you live in a dreamworld or what? There will be no more support for this game from the official developers, nobody gives 2 shits about new players and I doubt there are enough new players to give 2 shits about competitive play HUE. BIG SCENE

This mod is for people who care enough to enjoy the game competitively. That group is realy realy small compared to the mainstream playerbase who never saw or will see this game as competetive but see it more as a fun to play game, cut some heads off, troll some people, shoot people, teamkill and go to bed and ever touch it again.

This notion of “HUEE SAVE PLAYERBASE” is naive. There is no playerbase to begin with first and foremost and secondly there will be no more official patches so do what ever the fuck you want and enjoy it untill the sequel gets announced…

Kleptis ofcourse they don’t give a shit about you have to say, infact nobody does because everyone has an opinion on something. Unless you play everyday for 8 hours and sit with some nerds in ts discussing game mechanics and nerdgasming at eachother through the mic you won’t be taken seriously. Super cerial comp game better start making a council (lmao) for Chivalry 2.

This is a mod for people who play the game competetively nothing more nothing less.

• Make flails viable

• @Vesanus:

Make flails viable

@HeightofAbsurdity:

This thread is an announcement and won’t be used to discuss individual balance changes

Pls no balance discussion here.

buff dubaxe

• @Rickvs:

Pls no balance discussion here

Yeah lets not clutter the thread. But I realy want to join the balance council. I got some good ideas for new weapons and classes.

• @Le:

Why.

Because simply put, without official support from TBS the only direction this mod can go is that of promod and chiv+.
    Just to be clear, I find this mod to be a vast improvement over live. I can say I also thought the same of both the other efforts this community made to balance the game around the competitive player.

Now if you don’t remember, the general reaction around the release of those mods, was mostly the same. The active members of the comp scene tried out the changes, everyone got hyped, people posted about how amazing the changes were, how they would never go back to vanilla, and how they only wanted to scrim on the modded version. Yet here we are. Again.

Separate versions of the game only works to widen the divide between the “competitive” and “casual” player. And not in a good way.

For a new-ish player having to come into a version of the game where the mechanics are different, the weapon timings are different, the damage values are different. A situation where you now have to re-learn everything will definitely be a deterrent for people looking to make the transition between casual play and competitive. Considering how small the already dwindling the player base is (not to mention the comp scene) I think alienating the players that could keep the game alive doesn’t seem like the best idea.

Like I said, the only way to keep that from being an issue would be to get everyone playing the game onto the mod. And that comes with its own slew of issues. Mostly coming from the fact that no one is ever going to be happy no matter how good it might be. So going ahead and changing everything could very well drive even more people away from the game. Or it might bring people in, I don’t fucking know. I just know that there needs to be cohesion between “versions” or you just end up isolating yourselves and further starving what’s left of the comp scene.

another thing to keep in mind would be: the further you get from vanilla the less likely it is TB would be willing to adopt these changes.

I would write more, but it’s 4am and I’m out of goddamn scotch. I don’t even know why I’m doing this.

tldr; I like what you’re trying to do, but short some sort of miracle and TBS handing over control of the game, I honestly can’t see this going anywhere.

Major clans such as Faucheur refused to scrim on Promod and Chiv+, in other words, the community was more divided. This mod seems to be universally accepted as an improvement. Furthermore, by giving even tiny clans a voice in the matter, (i.e. a spot on the balance council), you’re being inclusive, and encouraging people to not only play the mod, but to improve upon it. I know I said “why?” but I pretty much knew the answer to that question- and you pretty much laid out the basic concerns everyone had with the last mods that were similar to this. However, those mods were released at a time when TBS was still actively updating and “improving” upon their game- this mod comes at a time when TBS has publicly stated they will no longer be supporting this game as far as balance and mechanics. So user generated content is the only hope for a better Chivalry.

• 2 lazy to download a 50kb file to play mod

ez

• @Kleptis:

Alright, I’ve got something I’ve been meaning to get off my chest for a while. I’m not sure what a person needs on these forums to be considered to have a valid opinion, so I’ll go ahead and say I primarily play as an Archer. With that said, I bet 3/4 of you don’t give two shits what I have to say. It’s easier that way rather than listing off things like playtime, rank, etc.

I like this mod. I’ve messed around with it since the early stages and the combat plays great. An improvement over vanilla for sure. The people working on this mod are doing good things and it shows that they really care about the well being of the game and it’s community.

Now here’s the part thats important to me personally. I dread the moment that TB decides to hand off game balance to some self entitled so-called “elite” players. I have nothing against these people in the slightest, but I don’t know any other way to express my point without sounding like an ass to a select few.

I’ve been lurking on these forums for a long time so don’t be fooled by my register date. Going by what I see posted on these forums on a regular basis…. Mercs to me is a potential precursor to Chivalry: Knights vs Vanguards.

Throw me in with everything Le Djentleman said too.

Huh? All of these players are well known and respected in the competitive community. In order to make a balanced and competitive game you have to balance it based on competitive play. It all looks very well thought out. I don’t even understand what your argument is. Who else is going to balance the game other than some of the best players who play it competitively?

• Obviously UKN, we had many scrims against french baddies and have extensive knowledge of the game.

• I’d rather have TBS balance tbh.