Vangaurds are a little OP

• I am not claiming to be very good at this game, because I could use work, but as an MAA it seems to me that Vanguards have every advantage, they have 2-3 times the health we do, they have at least 2x the reach we do, and they seem to swing faster. I am almost positive they swing faster becuase I have blocked a Vanguard’s swing and immediatly mashed the attack button and have still gotten hit again with a second strike before I could even swing, and I can’t afford to trade hits becuase I die in one, maybe two hits. Not to mention I think there may be a bug that allows them to hit behind them, as several times I have been hit after dodging behind them completely, and I don’t mean by the backswing, becuase it is on the opposite side (Players always swing from right to left.) I don’t want a huge nerf, as I don’t think that would be fair to those that enjoy it, but they need to be toned down a little, as it is most of the games I go into have at least half the teams are vanguards.

• Im sorry but I dont have any problems with them, I actually love it if i meet one when playing Knight because I need less hits to kill him ;)
    I just want to say a class is overpowerd if you dont have a chance against a specific class in a one on one with all other classes. This is, in my opinion not the case :P
    Some Classes are weaker to others and some are stronger against others.

• Vanguard Polearms and Spears are the problem. Way too much damage for the reach.

Combine that with the stupid as hell interrupt system of attacks and the fact that wooden parts of weapons don’t seem to deal any less damage and you got yourself set for a class played more than any other, because they can easily top the leaderboards even if you are terrible.

Vanguards need a good hit with the Nerf bat.

• i have to disagree. A good MMA can easily get in on the spear vanguard with his dodge and fast weapon.

• I think MAA is the hardest class to play, but can be mastered with practice. The best strategy at combating a Vanguard is to close his guard. Get in as close as possible after his swing, this can be accomplished with the evade button. While he’s gearing up for a swing start spamming swings on him. Usually 2-3 quick hits to the head will take him down if he isn’t already injured. The key is making sure your hits connect. If you miss he will most likely get a swing off. The evade button is also helpful at dodging spear attacks. It just takes a lot of practice.

• Do you want a nerf? go to BF3.

The general balance in the game is great, and every class have chances to any other, you only need skills.

• IMO, this would be a good nerf while still not sacrificing any fun, and making the game more realistic aswell:

For the spear and pole-axe only:

Make it so at the END of his attack range he gets to deal the full dmg %%

Make it so once you’ve closed in on him close, getting hit within like 50% of his attack range should do 50% less damage.

This makes it so their still powerful, but NEED to keep enemies further away, as once you close in your damage drops. Close up weapons like those used by the MAA will be more effective against vanguards.

This would also be realistic, because moving in on a POLEAXE if you in close and got hit by the POLE and not the AXE part would do a helluva lot less damage.

• Last 10 Games

Top 3? Vanguards.

I think a nerf is really in order.

• @fwbo777:

IMO, this would be a good nerf while still not sacrificing any fun, and making the game more realistic aswell:

For the spear and pole-axe only:

Make it so at the END of his attack range he gets to deal the full dmg %%

Make it so once you’ve closed in on him close, getting hit within like 50% of his attack range should do 50% less damage.

This makes it so their still powerful, but NEED to keep enemies further away, as once you close in your damage drops. Close up weapons like those used by the MAA will be more effective against vanguards.

This would also be realistic, because moving in on a POLEAXE if you in close and got hit by the POLE and not the AXE part would do a helluva lot less damage.

I agree with this 100%. Both for the sake of realism and because it adds a bit more of a tactical consideration to long polearms.

• Hard countered by range. Try to approach an archer on ruins who can aim as a VG. Not an easy thing.

I think they are balanced nicely, adding in the thrust/overhead from sprint and having smoke actually cloud up an area makes them a pretty well rounded class imho.

I don’t think they offer anything up that would make you want to 100% take them over a knight or MAA.

• In my opinion, no class or weapon in this game needs a nerf. The great equalizer in Chivalry is skill and persistance, not what class you play with or what weapon you use. Any class in this game can be a beast if you know how to use them effectively. Timing is something that needs to be mastered and applied to every engagement. It doesn’t matter if the Vanguard has a long reach, MAA’s can dance around them and interrupt almost every one of their attacks. Archers can pick them off from a distance and I absolutely destroy them with my Maul as Knight, so there’s no reason they need to be touched or tweaked.

Remember guys, just because YOU can’t defeat a better player, DOES NOT mean what he’s using is OP. Try a different class, a different weapon or different tactics. Pick your battles, block and KNOW THE TIMINGS OF YOUR WEAPONS. Adapt and overcome, because this game is pretty spot on when it comes to balance.

I really hope Torn Banner doesn’t pull a DICE and just start nerfing things based on complaints and whining. It’s one of the many reasons BF3 is a game of lolz: it caters to the lowest common denominator.

• @HEXEN:

just because YOU can’t defeat a better player, DOES NOT mean what he’s using is OP.

Hahaha so true. Everyone that is complaining though will soon get over it once they learn how to play. The game is challenging at first. People really don’t like dying over and over again by the same player, so all of the classes are flamed for being OP in some way.

• The broad amount of complaints for different classes is actually a good thing, if there was overwhelming feedback in one direction then it would be a problem worth investigating. One other thing to look for in balance are choices, in an action game with skill you want to make sure players have choices to make, not always be limited to xyz weapon unless they feel like challenging themselves today.

• I’ve been waiting for this tread because I 100% agree with the OP. The Vanguard has the best advantages in the game especially when it comes to fighting MAAs. Being able to hit behind them in infuriating when you manage to dodge behind them and their massive swings. On top of that their charge attack makes them able to out pace the MAA which is supposed to be the fastest class. The majority of FFA games I’ve played have mostly been won by the vanguard with knights coming as minority winners. Never have I seen an MAA come closer than third, and that was myself. I’d much rather fight a knight than a vanguard anyday as MAA because I’m less likely to die instantly.

• I would like to say that I totally disagree that Vanguards are “overpowered”.
    Cause of the fact that any class can defeat one just as easy as the vanguard can defeat them, its just that it has become the new “Noob favoured” class. Just like back in AoC when the Crusader Two-handed sword class was highly favoured. In a public match filled with new starters, I would like to believe that they will most likely top the list, due to the fact that they have a unique fighting style that requires a little bit of techniques to defeat. But in a fact with two experienced, I’d would say that both have just as much chance to defeat each other.

Play the game a little bit more, get a better understanding for how to fight, and you’ll see what I mean :)

• There are ways to get through their defenses. It’s actually rather easy if you know what you’re doing. But I do agree, it’s rather frustrating losing to them, I’m usually a MAA, but even though I personally have no trouble dealing with them, they get way more kills than I can manage, therefore usually putting me in second or third place.

• @wildwulfy:

Play the game a little bit more, get a better understanding for how to fight, and you’ll see what I mean :)

I am very sure I understand how to fight very well thank you and I do know how to kill vanguards and can often kill them 1v1, but they are still without a doubt the most difficult class to kill even in unskilled players hands. That is the definition of being op, when they have an advantage inherent in their class.

Thanks for being patronizing.

• @Jake:

There are ways to get through their defenses. It’s actually rather easy if you know what you’re doing. But I do agree, it’s rather frustrating losing to them, I’m usually a MAA, but even though I personally have no trouble dealing with them, they get way more kills than I can manage, therefore usually putting me in second or third place.

Exactly how i feel about this. Frustrating to die by a stray slash as well when you have nearly finished them off D: .
    They are balanced nicely because if you know what you are doing you can kill a slashspamming vanguard solely by using a fast weapon such as a knife to repeatedly cause him to flinch. It is dangerous but sure is fun and rewarding :D.

• @faltion:

I’ve been waiting for this tread because I 100% agree with the OP. The Vanguard has the best advantages in the game especially when it comes to fighting MAAs. Being able to hit behind them in infuriating when you manage to dodge behind them and their massive swings. On top of that their charge attack makes them able to out pace the MAA which is supposed to be the fastest class. The majority of FFA games I’ve played have mostly been won by the vanguard with knights coming as minority winners. Never have I seen an MAA come closer than third, and that was myself. I’d much rather fight a knight than a vanguard anyday as MAA because I’m less likely to die instantly.

I one shot MAA’s as Knight with my warhammer. You’ll die more quickly to my setup than any Vanguard player.

Both games I played before work tonight had a MAA as the #1 player on the enemy team. MAA’s can often dash past a Vanguards attack and start cracking them from behind or the side. After that, it SHOULD be over, unless you give them the opportunity to recover. MAA’s can attack incredibly fast and can cancel any incoming attacks if they’re close enough.

I’d much rather go up against a Vanguard than an MMA. MMA’s are damn brutal in a talented players hands and can often just outpace me as the Knight. Vanguards, on the other hand, I can just overpower. I can tank more damage longer, so if we’re trading equal blows, I’ll always come out on top.

• @faltion:

@wildwulfy:

I am very sure I understand how to fight very well thank you and I do know how to kill vanguards and can often kill them 1v1, but they are still without a doubt the most difficult class to kill even in unskilled players hands. That is the definition of being op, when they have an advantage inherent in their class.

Thanks for being patronizing.

I wasn’t trying to patronize you, I’m sorry if it seemed like it. I assume you’re new to the game? Give it a few weeks, the game will even out after everyone learns how to play. And in that time you should improve a lot. Then you will agree they aren’t overpowered.