Chivalry is racist

• One thing i have noticed is that there are no darkskinned characters in this game. Is something wrong with having darkskinned characters? are lightskinned characters better then darkskinned? Why is it like this. This game needs dark skinned characters

• Maybe because knighthood and chivalry are very European, very white man thingies from times when Europe was very white.

• Yeah and they built whole cities on top of an active volcano.

• Disney villain realism is still realism.

• @Xylvion:

Yeah and they built whole cities on top of an active volcano.

Yeah, there are already enough inacurracies, right?

• Well historically I don’t think black people were invented yet

• It’s realism. Medieval Knights were rather racist. On so many more levels than modern racists including being racist towards anyone who didn’t have as much money as them, didn’t have as much land as them, didn’t have as much combat experiance as them things like that. They considered themselves their own race of noblemen and the common peasant a whole different species. That’s what chivalry actually was, the ones who followed the code of chivalry the closest being the French and the ones who loosly followed the code of chivalry being the English.

• It’s not racist, it’s just pseudo-accurately representing things as they were during the Medieval period within a fictional setting; and I only say pseudo because nevertheless, it’s fiction. It would be like putting a white person in a setting such as ancient China and justifying it by saying you didn’t want to be racist to white people by not including them, seriously, that’s cringe worthy political correctness right there. Apart from the Moors, colored people weren’t very prevalent in Europe at this time, it’s not a good thing, it’s not a bad thing- it just IS. Also, saying something is racist is quite a claim; what the title of your thread is actually saying is that you believe the reason Torn Banner didn’t include any “dark” skinned people in their game is because they believe white people are superior to certain races (or all races). If you read that last sentence out loud to yourself, you’ll probably realize that your accusation is pretty silly and highly unlikely.

This being said, I don’t see why they couldn’t include people from Middle Eastern cultures since notable groups such as the Saracens played a major role in shaping the Medieval world.

Race shouldn’t matter whatsoever, if you want to be historically accurate (if that’s your goal) then give authentic representations of settings, people, clothing, etc. as they were during that period of history- regardless of modern human feelings.

• I dunno. A conquest in Spain and getting invaded by a bunch of mad popes was the extent of their involvement.

• @Rob_Owner:

Well historically I don’t think black people were invented yet

yeah jesus is white

• Well, the Mason knight looks kind of Eastern European, and they were like medieval Europe’s version of black people for most of the period. Well, them and the Irish. And the Barbarian skins…well, they’re half naked, and the archers sometimes chuck spears. Clearly Irish, or black, or Spanish, or something.

Privilege, thou hast been checkedeth.

• In the Game of Thrones books there were some weird foreigny desert people that used slings with lead balls to shatter people’s knees and heads. So there’s your link to Archer, obviously. And also Archer has the hunting knife, which is pretty shank-like. Just saying. These can’t be coincidence.

• @Brutus:

Well, the Mason knight looks kind of Eastern European, and they were like medieval Europe’s version of black people for most of the period. Well, them and the Irish. And the Barbarian skins…well, they’re half naked, and the archers sometimes chuck spears. Clearly Irish, or black, or Spanish, or something.

Privilege, thou hast been checkedeth.

Byzantine Varangian Guard. Made up of Scandinavians and Englishmen. That’s what the Mason knight is.

• @zombojoe:

yeah jesus is white

He came from America.

• @lemonater47:

Byzantine Varangian Guard. Made up of Scandinavians and Englishmen. That’s what the Mason knight is.

Kinda, but Mason is more of a 10-12th-ish century knight, while Agatha knight is 14-15th century.

• @petergriffin:

Kinda, but Mason is more of a 10-12th-ish century knight, while Agatha knight is 14-15th century.

No the vanguard is a 10-12th century knight. Western and Eastern Europe.

The Mason team is rather Byzantine and Hungarian as a whole.

And even the agatha knight isn’t really 14th to 15th century. The only bits that are 15th century is the helmet and the shoulder plates. The rest of it is early. Chainmail, a coat of plates sewn to leather and plated arms and legs to an extent. Plates not covering the entire limb. Sort of a mid to late 13th century knight excluding the helmet and shoulders.

• well, the mason barbarians are 2BC-5AD or something similar so they’re not really accurate either. Besides having non-whites would make sense on maps such as Bazaar, King’s Garden and Ruins.

• No the vanguard is a 10-12th century knight. Western and Eastern Europe.

Yes, or a later non-knight soldier.

@lemonater47:

And even the agatha knight isn’t really 14th to 15th century. The only bits that are 15th century is the helmet and the shoulder plates. The rest of it is early. Chainmail, a coat of plates sewn to leather and plated arms and legs to an extent. Plates not covering the entire limb. Sort of a mid to late 13th century knight excluding the helmet and shoulders.

Mid 13th is way too early, he would look like this then:

http://www.forrester-roberts.co.uk/images/cathar_eclipse/peter_of_castelnau.jpg

to be as precise as possible I would put Agatha knight at circa 1350-1425, his armour is very close to full plate armour which become dominant couple decades into 15th century, way more advanced than what people wore in early 14th.

• The Vanguard, with the chainmail and limited plated limb defenses, and the great helm, is pretty typical for mid-thirteenth century Western Europe. The Agatha Knight is what Peter said, mid-to-late fourteenth century (always thought he wore a surcoat over a cuirass personally, not a coat of plate, which is more similar to what the Mason knight wears I think). The Dreadnought skin is a fantasy mish-mash of fifteenth century plate harness with fourteenth-century Teutonic-inspired great helm (the wings and such give it away), with an addition of spikes because Evil is Spiky. The Inquisitor skin is solid fifteenth century full plate harness, probably more Germanic than Milanese.

But yeah, fantasy game. If you don’t take your helm off, you could just imagine yourself as not-white. Hell, could imagine yourself as a woman if you don’t use voice commands, since women in armor are pretty identical to men in armor due to all the padding and bulk of the armor itself erasing any hint of typical feminine features.

• Bruce Lee was a man. I have dream he came in my room and touch me. Now I travelling the world and fight people. I sleep in parks now and looking for cans of beer. I didn’t ask for power, it was given. Mr. Lee show me can beat up 20 kids at once and hide from police. That is my story.