Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Patch 35 (Mac and Linux Integration)

• New

Chivalry is now officially released on Mac OS X and Linux!

Fixes

• Attempt at mitigating Stoneshill second objective crash
    • invite-accept crash fix; not sure whether reproducible on PC
    • don’t do anything with HUD markers etc. until level has finished loading. Fix for issue where icons may not appear on some levels when loading slowly (particularly, Stoneshill)
    • don’t let King try to Forward Spawn or switch to Observer (may unintentionally end objective early)
    • when a client loses connection to the host without warning (e.g., because the client’s LAN cable was pulled), could call DisableSprint() every frame until it crashed
    • fix issues with throwing fire pots into lava
    • Fix non-alt direction combo feint to parry to riposte to combo issue, wherein that last combo would play Release in non-combo direction despite the riposte coming from non-combo direction as well.
    • Fix flag not being put down correctly when it was just picked up and the previous weapon is still being put down
    • kill the pot if the FX is done. The FX is pooled and if we shutdown after this, we might shut down when someone else has taken that pooled object. The shutdown turns the FX off -> we might turn someone else’s FX off
    • stop client pawns from spawning weather emitters on listen server host
    • stop people from using items (E) if they’re throwing a throwable
    • If someone joins while a server is paused, unpause for 1 tick (unpause is necessary as part of the player joining process), immediately repause.
    • AdminTournamentMode fixed
    • Fix for server browser “Server Details” query crash
    • Fix buckler phys asset, added a sphere body to cover the boss (the player’s hand was slightly sticking through the existing collision body)
    • Slightly realigned shortbow and crossbow skins due to valid complaints lodged here: http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/22911-New-crossbow-skin-annoying-problem
    • Also temujin and hound swords were slightly misaligned
    • Corrected vertex paint on some spartan foliages (used in various UGC maps)
    • Fix buckler phys asset, added a sphere body to cover the boss (the player’s hand was slightly sticking through the existing collision body)
    • Stop player names getting set to “Player123” or such

Other changes

• Loadout change volume now has a 15 second cooldown

• Admin login events are now light red (#FF5555 ) in chat. The system PM color is now pale blue (#B2C4E1) instead of cyan (#33FFFF)

• Added phys asset for workhammer mesh

• Removed several instances of log spam

• Reduced amount of data replicated or considered for replication, reducing CPU and bandwidth use for servers

• Script optimization, reducing (game thread) CPU use for servers and clients

• Skeletal mesh / animation rendering optimizations

• DetailMode affects more Pawn effects. Decap distance repurposed as “high detail distance”; this distance is further on High Detail than Medium Detail, etc.

• don’t do blood masks at all in Low detail, or beyond high detail distance - 1 step
      • don’t do blood splatter effect unless on High or within high detail distance + 1 step
      • don’t do blood decal if MaxActiveDecals setting is 0, or DetailMode is DM_Low, or DetailMode is DM_Medium and we’re beyond high detail distance + 1 step
    • modified dummies (console command adddummies / admin adddummies) to constantly attack but not move. Good for parry/riposte testing.

• Pass over all levels’ sound sublevels to move as much into Client-side Kismet as possible. A few were playing ambient sounds continuously off the server, which is kind of expensive. Fixed now with no actual effect on the audible sounds.

• Animation framerate LODding added. New video config setting to modify this. Server always plays anims at 1/5 rate unless they include root motion

Linux server should be downloadable now!

• Yea! good job guys!

• Here’s to hoping for non-choppy animations this time.

• @Rickvs:

Here’s to hoping for non-choppy animations this time.

one can dream.

• Aww why’d you change the title. Btw could you guys explain this

Animation framerate LODding added. New video config setting to modify this. Server always plays anims at 1/5 rate unless they include root motion

• Good stuff, now the game is in basically every platform

kill the pot if the FX is done. The FX is pooled and if we shutdown after this, we might shut down when someone else has taken that pooled object. The shutdown turns the FX off -> we might turn someone else’s FX off

wat

• @swagfox:

Aww why’d you change the title. Btw could you guys explain this

Animation framerate LODding added. New video config setting to modify this. Server always plays anims at 1/5 rate unless they include root motion

does this mean the animations have less frames the farther away they are played from your player?

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Assuming theres no huge glitches, this is a great patch. Was not expecting anything so substantial. Good work!

• Ehm what exactly have u done to the FOV? I use to play on 130 fov and after the patch range seems different… Other than that it feels (if possible) even more inconsistent than before in many ways (parries not working, attacks going through without dmg, arrows dealing no dmg, weird random run-speedups etc etc). I think you rushed this patch alot… Havent been so frustrated by playing this game, as I got now, in a long time.

• @zombojoe:

does this mean the animations have less frames the farther away they are played from your player?

This is correct, you can control the level of Animation Bias in your configuration menu. “High” means animation remains fluid farther away and the opposite is true for the “Low” setting.

• Would “High” be no different than how it was before, or even smoother than before at a distance?

And would setting it “Low” somehow improve animation smoothness close-up since the game isnt trying to focus on ones that are happening across the map as much?

• @Psyfon:

Would “High” be no different than how it was before, or even smoother than before at a distance?

And would setting it “Low” somehow improve animation smoothness close-up since the game isnt trying to focus on ones that are happening across the map as much?

Good question, I’m idle ear for an answer.

• Half the servers seem to be down, including official ones. Additionally, I can no longer seem to launch the Chivalry Dedicated Server on Windows. I can launch UDK.exe with the appropriate parameters, but the console remains blank, as if I’ve specified something incorrectly.

• @Psyfon:

Would “High” be no different than how it was before, or even smoother than before at a distance?

Very good question. Looking forward to hearing the answer.

• @Sheepdude:

Half the servers seem to be down, including official ones. Additionally, I can no longer seem to launch the Chivalry Dedicated Server on Windows. I can launch UDK.exe with the appropriate parameters, but the console remains blank, as if I’ve specified something incorrectly.

Looks like it now requires .NET 4.0, so if you only have 3.5, you’ll need to install that. I can’t seem to find any documentation to that effect and required some pretty time-consuming troubleshooting.

• I still have the server browser crash

• Developer

@Psyfon:

High is the same as it used to be. Low may improve performance in general, so animations may look better in as much as they’d look better if anything else improved your frame rate.

@Sheepdude:

Half the servers seem to be down, including official ones. Additionally, I can no longer seem to launch the Chivalry Dedicated Server on Windows. I can launch UDK.exe with the appropriate parameters, but the console remains blank, as if I’ve specified something incorrectly.

Console remaining blank is normal, it’s been that way since around launch. “UDKLogging.exe” logs, “UDK.exe” does not log.

Servers looking to be down:
    A) Could it be that your client hasn’t updated, and you’re just seeing out-of-date servers? The main menu should say the game was built from Changelist 26619
    B) We did get some reports that Steam was acting up late yesterday and the server browser wasn’t working properly. Is it still happening?