Where should I start if I want to mod Chivalry?

• I’ve looked at a lot of the tutorials but with Chivalry being a small game there’s not enough of them for a person new to modding to just jump in. Since I haven’t done too much with programming I can’t just view the tutorials, play around, and know how to mod Chivalry. I was thinking that maybe I could start with a game like Skyrim. With such a huge game, there will be plenty of tutorials for people new to modding.

What I want to know is how much of my knowledge in modding Skyrim would help with Chivalry. Do you think that there’s a better game to start with that has almost as many resources for modding as Skryim? If you think there’s a completely different way I can approach modding in Chiv, then please give me an idea.

And by the way, I’m not looking for something as simple as using the map editor or changing the damage on the Messer. I would say that what I’m trying to do is not too hard, but I’m going to need experience before I can even begin to approach it.

• When you want to get familar with the tools, you are be better off with a game that is based on UE3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3

• tbh I wouldn’t bother, there is very little community interest in modded maps, even the best are barely used. If it is a work of art and gets to be included in the main game that is another matter of course. But TBS barely fix anything in the modded maps (spawn points are a nightmare, some glaring obvious wrong messages displayed at end of objectives, let alone poor balance) so make sure it is right first time.

• @Hordy:

When you want to get familar with the tools, you are be better off with a game that is based on UE3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3

I think that Borderlands 2 might be a good place to start. Thanks a lot!

• @gregcau:

tbh I wouldn’t bother, there is very little community interest in modded maps, even the best are barely used. If it is a work of art and gets to be included in the main game that is another matter of course. But TBS barely fix anything in the modded maps (spawn points are a nightmare, some glaring obvious wrong messages displayed at end of objectives, let alone poor balance) so make sure it is right first time.

I’m not making anything to share really. If I have the ability to mod Chivalry, then I might want to do that later on.

• Get something to edit and create your own unrealscript files. Notepad++ is alright for a simple mod but if you have something complicated then I’d recommend finding an IDE to use. I don’t know how well borderlands 2 supports modding. I reckon chivalry is fine for modding but it depends what exactly you’re doing. No reason to pick a game that would require you to increase the work you need to do (such as not wanting borderlands 2’s art-style). I’m personally waiting for Killing Floor 2 to come out to apply my new-found UDK skills.

Also don’t try to mod Chivalry: Deadliest warrior as when I tried that (start of Jan 2015) It would refuse to compile scripts due to a missing package, verifying game cache and a full re-install did nothing to fix that.

• The Chivalry SDK is a great place to start. Also, there’s a very accomplished modder Campones Imundo who released a template for Chivalry modding some time ago. That’s what I used to start my mod Warmod, I was in the same position as you not knowing where to start. That’s a pretty good position to begin from.

Chivalry uses Unreal 3, which is already being made obsolete by UE4. UnrealScript is also being phased out and replaced with C++, so bear that in mind.

If you have some kind of talent and you want to work on a mod, you could even think about joining mine :)