Respects to Leonard Nimoy, Mr Spock

• I couldn’t believe it when I heard today. One of the most well-know legends of the tv era dead just like that. Schwarzeneggar is getting old too, when he dies that’ll be crazy.

• well he did live long and prosper

• Not to undermine a writers death but the idea the hardly any of you even respected Mr spock is crass tbh.
    Its actors like these the bring Sci fi in to the light and publicise it, not to mention aid in getting writers known.
    In today’s world I am sure many of you would rather watch a great sci fi series of movies/boxsets then sit
    down and read the book made from some poor dead tree tbh.

• my SF/fantasy collection (mostly Science Fiction)

tbh did a tribble just crawl up your butt and multiply or something?

• ^ There’s no Stephen King in there. You should at least have Green Mile or IT or something.

• well I have a beat up copy of The Stand complete and uncut edition plus hardcovers of Desperation and The Regulators (as Richard Bachman). borrowed the other SK novels that I read from the library years ago. The Dark Half was probably my favourite of those.

• The Stand is a great book, and The Shining is pretty good too. The first 4 Dark Tower novels are pretty strong but the last 3 are a bit like reading just for the sake of finishing the story. Still not all that bad. Misery and Needful Things are two big standout favorites for me, and the Dark Half was also a good read. He’s very good at making believable characters and original stories.

• The Stand is my favourite. it’s great. guess I should re-read/buy some Stephen King novels. I was really into him in my teenage years. Clive Barker’s another good author from that period. I think there’s a few Stephen King quotes on his novels. the only one I kept was Imajica but Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show and its sequel Everville were cool. he lost me at Sacrament.

• Haven’t read Barker but I hear he’s good. I liked a few Dean Koontz books, but he reuses the Man, Woman and eerily intelligent child/dog structure more than King reuses the drunk writer from Maine archetype.

• Not to chip away at your large collection of dead trees turned into books and branded by some ink blotter but
    you could fit all those on a few dvd/blue rays nowdays and reach a much larger sci fi fan base to to mention
    its very rare to forget a good sci fi movie if well done tbh. Now star trek and spock evolved into films from
    books I’d suggest you consider that while climbing that top self for some forgot book.

• The Stand and IT are both getting multiple movie adaptations soon. SK’s masterworks will finally be done justice methinks, not like those horrid tv mini-series’ from the 90’s. It’s sad when a movie adaptation fails the source material, like how all the original Star Trek movies suck. They focused more on ‘action’ and stupid crap instead of what made the show so great, like the exploration and philosophical aspects and the campiness and b-movie feel. The Star Trek movies missed the point and were unmemorable for it.

• If not for these great actors bringing our favourite sci fi books to life
    many would not have even discovered the books.
    The younger generations were raised on movies/films not books tbh.
    Its doubtful books will even exist in the next 30 years as the world is running low on tree’s.
    I’d suggest the production of writers quavers on paper format tbh.
    If a picture is worth a 1000 words how many do you suppose a movie is worth
    to non book readers?

• @Oy:

The Stand and IT are both getting multiple movie adaptations soon. SK’s masterworks will finally be done justice methinks, not like those horrid tv mini-series’ from the 90’s. It’s sad when a movie adaptation fails the source material, like how all the original Star Trek movies suck. They focused more on ‘action’ and stupid crap instead of what made the show so great, like the exploration and philosophical aspects and the campiness and b-movie feel. The Star Trek movies missed the point and were unmemorable for it.

I like Kubrick’s The Shining but I haven’t read the book. Christine and Carrie were decent.

most adaptations of books turn out worse than the book, if you’ve read it prior to seeing the film. LOTR was pretty excruciating to sit thru. each film was like a really bad but glossy 4 hour tv-movie for me. never ended up seeing the last film. 1st was incredibly boring and the 2nd one pissed me off too much.

Star Trek TNG is my favourite Star Trek related thing.

• @loin:

If not for these great actors bringing our favourite sci fi books to life
    many would not have even discovered the books.
    The younger generations were raised on movies/films not books tbh.
    Its doubtful books will even exist in the next 30 years as the world is running low on tree’s.
    I’d suggest the production of writers quavers on paper format tbh.
    If a picture is worth a 1000 words how many do you suppose a movie is worth
    to non book readers?

You got a point but books still good imo. Movies and series are good to know things, but books usually go deeper

• @Vanguard:

You got a point but books still good imo. Movies and series are good to know things, but books usually go deeper

I personally prefer a book. If it came to a choice between being able to watch TV or reading books in my life, I would choose books every time. Might be that I’m biased as I own a second-hand bookshop, but it’s a shame that less people want to read these days.

• I don’t have any Stephen King books on my shelf, but I do have a lot of Terry Pratchett books…. WHO ALSO DIED JUST RECENTLY!!!

• @SavageBeatings:

I don’t have any Stephen King books on my shelf, but I do have a lot of Terry Pratchett books…. WHO ALSO DIED JUST RECENTLY!!!

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/23233-SORRY

• @LongSun:

my SF/fantasy collection (mostly Science Fiction)

tbh did a tribble just crawl up your butt and multiply or something?

love that bottom Gene Wolfe shelf. I guess The Book of The Long Sun is where your handle comes from?

• @Alphonse:

love that bottom Gene Wolfe shelf. I guess The Book of The Long Sun is where your handle comes from?

yup, and usually Severian in-game. the new, long and short sun books are pretty awesome.