Chivalry Steamy bug & crash, "four files failed to validate and will be reacquired."

• Bought the game through Steam, having a super good time.

Had been crashing every twenty or so minutes, complete PC lockup and forced hard reset. The nerds at Google say the game is crashing Steam but I couldn’t even minimize the window to check.

There is no problem with MY computer, lots of rams and things.

After some more reading I resolved to verify the integrity of the game cache by right clicking the title in my Steam library > properties > local files > verify integrity of game cache.

Lo and behold: “Four files failed to validate and will be reacquired,” and so they were. Less than 1kb of data and my crashes were gone.

Here’s where it gets interesting:

After every PC restart those four files mysteriously go missing and I start crashing again, until I re-verify the integrity of the game cache and re-download those files. The procedure takes about three minutes so it’s not that big of a deal until you forget to do it, crash in the middle of a murderfest, and are forced to take it out on the family dog.

Just thought you should know. :)

• Update: Am still crashing at ~1hr intervals as opposed to every twenty minutes.

• What is exactly happening when it crashes? Are there certain maps that it crashes on or more of a timed even? If it is more of a timed even, I would start looking into heat issues with your GPU or GPU. For starters, makes sure you blow out your computer with a can of compressed air and that all fans and vents are free of dust. I know that sounds ridiculous but it doesn’t take much to over heat the computer and have an intensive resource game, crash. If it is a timed thing than that makes sense as it takes about an hour for it to overheat slowly, crash, and the temps cool down.

• The screen freezes, ALT+TAB does not work, CTRL+ALT+DEL does not work either and I am forced to hard reset.

Didn’t even think about the heat and will try some compressed air tomorrow, however I doubt that’s the issue: I have a custom rig with plenty of room for airflow and an extra fan. I don’t overclock.

Based on Google and the Steam community forums a lot of other people seem to be experiencing a similar crash at regular intervals.

Out of some ~140 games I own on Steam, several being resource intensive; the only two producing an unexplained, repeated and predictable crash are “Chivalry” and “Mortal Online,” which is not a Steam title but does produce the screen freeze exactly like “Chivalry.”

I run “Microsoft FSX” and if you know anything about that game, you know it wants to crash.

From “Skyrim” to “EVE Online” I have no problems with this kind of repeated crashing and I run everything on high to maximum settings.

Will let you know how the compressed air goes, thanks for the tip.

• Cleaned the system, it was very dusty, however my BIOS isn’t reporting any difference in the average CPU/System idle temperatures, which are high, but that very well could be a sensor calibration issue.

• I have had the same issue^ every 30-45 min. usually enough for 2 games. then it slows down and jumps. and have to restart the game. I have had no other crashes in any other game. It says 4 files to validate, then dl missing files, but every hour I have to validate otherwise I get the crash every 25-30 minutes.

• Ignore the 4 file validation thing; It’s a common thing for all games to re-aqcuire files regardless if your files are good or not (I tested mine just now, 4 files). If it’s crashing at intervals and not map specific I’d look into a heat/RAM issue. Make sure you’re not experiencing some type of memory leak by checking task manager. Use a program like CPU-Z to check CPU temps while you play. Something else is at play other then the four files.

• I’ve had a similar problem on less occasion. A couple times I did manage to alt tab out after waiting for over ten minutes. The window couldn’t be removed, but I noticed it had an error message dealing with steamwebhelper.exe. With the latest patch its gone away, but I still get an annoying breakpoint popup and then the game will occasionally become unplayable (see my bug post).

• I “think” the 4 files that keep coming and going relate to the shaders or some other files that are built on the fly, so will often be reacquired.

Might be better if we could get a copy of the launch.log file and see what the game’s getting up to when it crashes