Chivalry Needs More Admins

• Hi,

I’m a player named Homeskillet and pretty much any time I have to be on Chiv I am on Chiv (east coast). Thing is, I’m starting to see a huge rise in the amount of people hogging public servers - automatically kicking players who aren’t part of their group. I know this is heavily against the rules, but there’s nobody enforcing it and the average player can’t do anything about it. I know you’re supposed to report it to an admin on the group chat, but more often then not they are “away” or just plain “offline.” On top of this, you have a lot of players who simply kick players they can’t kill (as a rank 49 this happens a lot to me).

I really think there has to be a better system than this, maybe have more torn banner members policing the east coast servers, cause it’s getting out of hand. If you see a free-for-all server with less than 5 people then it is most likely being hogged.

Anyway, that’s just my two cents.

Thanks,
    Homeskillet

P.S. I don’t know what Chiv’s policy on racism/profanity/general trolling is, but as Chiv becomes more and more popular it’s beginning to attract that young, immature kind of crowd as well as good members. I do feel like something should be done to keep the existing community as nice and friendly as I’ve seen it be in the past.

• Feel free to add me to your friends homeskillet.
    I play US East frequently, and admin those servers whenever available.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198004312397/

In general I will accept friend requests from anyone that plays Chiv. I find it’s easiest to admin when players who actively play on the official servers contact me directly instead of through the steam admin group.

Also I think I ran into the players you mentioned after reading this post. A bunch of 200 pingers on US East ffa tried to vote me after I killed a couple of them.

• ….or. You could stop playing on public servers and start playing on private and clan servers that are well administrated. I run the |ĶiĻă| Thunderdome server that runs mostly the best custom maps and try to admin it it most of the time. I run an adult server so if you are easily offended then mine isn’t for you. But there are other servers that cater to the needs of the hyper sensitive. SO seek them out and help populate servers that the fans host. Get to know them and the clans, you will learn a lot and make friends.

• As I’m often kicked by trolls, I’d very appreciate more admins on servers. But there’s one cringeworthy thing about them: some of them abuse their powers. I’ve seen an admin who maximally slowed down the game and left!

• @S0ldier:

As I’m often kicked by trolls, I’d very appreciate more admins on servers. But there’s one cringeworthy thing about them: some of them abuse their powers. I’ve seen an admin who maximally slowed down the game and left!

This definitely didn’t happen in an official server.

• @S0ldier:

As I’m often kicked by trolls, I’d very appreciate more admins on servers. But there’s one cringeworthy thing about them: some of them abuse their powers. I’ve seen an admin who maximally slowed down the game and left!

Your ping is usually 100-160 I don’t think trolls do it, I think people do it because you lag.

• @DaGGyzo:

This definitely didn’t happen in an official server.

To be fair how would you know this?

• This definitely didn’t happen in an official server.

Hell, it did happen on an official server. That’s why I’m feeling anxious about whimsical and cynical (yes, there are very mean admins too) people who can decide (ban me just like that for some stupid thing) about the game I bought and put many hours in it.

Your ping is usually 100-160 I don’t think trolls do it, I think people do it because you lag.

Bravo. For showing that you know me. But you also showed your lack of knowing me at the same time. I usually have 100ms on UK servers and 70 on DE servers. It’s not that bad.
    When I’m having such unearthly lags as 140 ms, I’m not mad at anyone, I think it’s not that wrong to kick me when I lag like hell.

I was talking about actual trolls. They kick (or just try to) me regardless of ping. Other bad groups are people who think that I hack (because they don’t know game mechanics) and bad apples who want to kick me just out of pure hatred (especially when my score is better than theirs).

I could mention there many nicks of people who insult me and constantly try to deter me from playing Chivalry.

• @S0ldier:

Hell, it did happen on an official server. That’s why I’m feeling anxious about whimsical and cynical (yes, there are very mean admins too) people who can decide (ban me just like that for some stupid thing) about the game I bought and put many hours in it.

Bravo. For showing that you know me. But you also showed your lack of knowing me at the same time. I usually have 100ms on UK servers and 70 on DE servers. It’s not that bad.
    When I’m having such unearthly lags as 140 ms, I’m not mad at anyone, I think it’s not that wrong to kick me when I lag like hell.

I was talking about actual trolls. They kick (or just try to) me regardless of ping. Other bad groups are people who think that I hack (because they don’t know game mechanics) and bad apples who want to kick me just out of pure hatred (especially when my score is better than theirs).

I could mention there many nicks of people who insult me and constantly try to deter me from playing Chivalry.

You sound like an entitled open wound just waiting to be salted or offended. Get over it and find a better server. Preferably a few clan servers where you actually become a regular player there and they get to “know” you. But I can promise you that if you go into a clan server crying and whining you will not last long there either.

Here is an idea! Pony up the cash and rent your own server. That way you can run it as you see fit and you will always have a place to play.

• @lemonater47:

To be fair how would you know this?

I’m sure there would be a larger out cry if things like this happened. It was probably done on one of those fake Official servers. You do all this posting, so I’m sure you of all people would have noticed the repeated complaints of actual admin abuse.

• @ChuckingIt:

I’m sure there would be a larger out cry if things like this happened. It was probably done on one of those fake Official servers. You do all this posting, so I’m sure you of all people would have noticed the repeated complaints of actual admin abuse.

Yeah I’ve only heard 1 valid complaint against the current admins and they have been admin for like a year. And that complaint was against an official moderator I’ve never even heard of.

Admins do make mistakes. I once bound slow motion and fast motion to a couple of keys when I was testing things in singleplayer. Completely forgot a few months later and bumped the key for 200% speed while I was logged in as admin. Much rage was had as the map was hillside and it resulted in about 4 people running off the cliffs. Half the server was angry while the other half wanted me to do it again that somehow resulted in a flame war while I wasn’t looking which I couldn’t resolve with words as I had just lost everyone’s respect with the 200% speed incident.

Also with the old kick UI on the scoreboard it was rather easy to accidentally kick/ban the wrong person or issue a ban when you wanted a kick. But with the new menu it’s a lot better.

They need to improve the adminchangeteam command. As with adminkick and adminban a list of players appears. You then pick a number next to the player and it will take action against them. Typing in a partial name narrows the lost down. But with the change team command you have to type the persons exact name. If they have any special characters you’re screwed. It’s a very useful command to resolve arguments of people on the same team which causes collateral damage and is essentially wasting two slots on one team. Move one player to the other team and the problem is usually solved. And since there’s no admin kill command the change team command can be used like that. As when you use it it kills that player and swaps them. If you do it twice they go back on the same team like an admin kill command. Means any map exploiters annoying everyone don’t have to be kicked/banned. It does work in FFA. It’ll be easier if the command worked like the others.

Honestly on the topic of official moderators they should get more powers. As apparently they don’t have power to perma ban someone.

• Use adminplayerlist command, then use the number after the name. So adminchangeteam ###.

• @Naleaus:

Use adminplayerlist command, then use the number after the name. So adminchangeteam ###.

Now that you say that I feel bloody stupid. As that’s exactly what I’ve been doing to admin RO2 on the exact same engine lol.

• I don’t want to upset the op but this is not the Movie serpico tbh. The idea our admins are corrupted doesn’t wash
    like the ufo that landed in my soup. Also from my exp accused hackers often turn out to be the case further down
    the line. The fact we have so few admins who are not paid should not be undermined by your short sighted post op.

Why don’ t you run around and come up with a credible viable list of potential admins to present to Tb ? To aid
    our existing admins imo.

• @loin:

Why don’ t you run around and come up with a credible viable list of potential admins to present to Tb ? To aid
    our existing admins imo.

Me of course.

@loin:

doesn’t wash like the ufo that landed in my soup.

Best of Loin 2015.

• There are plenty of people who’d make good admins; actually finding them and pointing them is out easier said than done, however.

Personally, I think i’d make a pretty good admin by merit of just how many vote-kick abusers I run into :^)

• “Stop whining, go play on unofficial servers.”

If someone’s having issues with a lack of admins or admins (supposedly) being irresponsible on official servers this is the wrong effing way to respond. The community and the people on this forums sometimes, dear lord.

• There’s been a lot of racism (again) lately on officials, and people blatantly trolling about 9-11 and Hitler and all your typical stuff. I reached out to admins before about it but they said it wasn’t admin kick worthy.

• OP here, wasn’t able to read responses sorry for just responding now.

When it comes to the solution: “Just play on better servers,” it doesn’t address the problem I stated in the first place. I was talking about OFFICIAL servers. To me, it doesn’t seem far fetched that we, as players of the game, should expect a certain standard held up by Torn Banner’s own servers, and the idea that the best solution to just NOT play on them is just not valid.

To back this up more, I’m a college student and since my classes don’t start till around mid-day, I play sometimes in the morning and at night. At night, yes, there are a lot of open servers to play on - both official and unofficial. However in the morning, the only servers with consistently good numbers of players ARE the official servers. As someone who doesn’t want to waste 20-40 minutes of my time sitting in a server waiting for people to populate it, joining an Unofficial Server is not a good option.

Now this next part, I’d like to preface with the fact that I play on the East Coast, United States servers.

1. When it comes to “Admin Abuse,” I can honestly say I’ve never seen any case of this. Good, right? However, this is only because I’ve only met one Official Admin: eq| Gauntlet. Again, with the amount of vote-kicks, racism, griefing, trolling and so on and so forth (which I read on the sticky-thread are ALL things NOT to be tolerated on Chiv’s public servers), this should be a sign of concern.

2. “Providing a list of potential admins to TB.” While yes, this could be a good idea, I feel as if it would be horribly presumptuous of me to deem what it takes to be a “good admin.” Instead, I think a better option would be for there actually to be TB members or official admins who are actively looking for members of the community with strong character, who would be good candidates for being admins. If I were to provide a list, I couldn’t help but feel like it would fall upon deaf ears (although that’s my own opinion).

To conclude:

I’ve been a player since Beta, and I’ve seen how great the Chivalry community is - in my opinion it’s the best gaming community out there. There’s something about the amount of skill it takes to play Chivalry that attracts a mature, patient, and generally positive group of people. However, with Chiv’s growing player-base and the inevitable influx of new, less mature, players, there really has to be something done with the amount of server-abuse propagating within the Official Servers.

Thanks if you read this all, I know it sounds like a 5 paragraph essay - I’m a PreLaw student :).

• As a pre law student, you should consider another line of work that better suits your lack of knowledge. Pilgore, sorry man but you are wrong, going and playing on another server IS the right response. 90% of games do not have “Official” servers or that many unless you pay a monthly fee, they use a master server like Steam is, or is it a freemium game and hosting servers to get people to pay for upgrades. All you whiners demanding more and more, you are lucky TBS even hosts servers specially as many as they do. In fact most of them are empty most of the day, most of the time.

It is not just “play on better servers” it is PLAY ON DIFFERENT SERVERS. There are currently hundreds of servers that are not official. Most of them are well administered. They play on them regularly. It is unreasonable to NOT seek out the best servers and become a regular player and support them. Hell if you become a regular player of a server, the owner, might offer you admin. I know I have give out admin to several of my regular players because I trust them and they play ON MY SERVER when I cannot. But in fact there is clearly an ignored, nice little feature in the server browser called “FAVORITES” where you can actually add those servers to your favorites list and jump on the right away. Crazy, I know right?

The other issue is: GET OVER YOURSELF. You are not entitled to Jack shit, and Jack just left the building. There are so many options when playing. Why limit yourself to just Official servers? Why not actually support the game and rent a server, create a clan it doesn’t have to be competitive but that way you can build friendships and play with your like minded FRIENDS and run your own damn servers the way you see fit? Again, Crazy I know right?

Or you can continue to whine about wanting more free shit and to have it “your way” (This ain’t Burger King) over an $8 game while doing nothing in return but being a squeeky wheel.