Should MERC changes be taken and moved into live.

• While I don’t normally agree with competitive players general motivations, such as raise the skill ceiling to the clouds etc.

However the MERC mod seems like a good mod that addresses all the core issues with the game play that once you have played long enough just becomes rather frustrating and make you think TBS are just a bunch of sadists.

Anyway, question is - should MERC become the new patch?

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/22420-Mercs

• why even add the poll

• The mod has potential, but it’s done quite sloppy. I don’t want half-assed mechanics (as in mechanics with good ideas and poor implementation) that “works”, we’ve had far too many of those in chivalry already.

• @Xylvion:

The mod has potential, but it’s done quite sloppy. I don’t want half-assed mechanics (as in mechanics with good ideas and poor implementation) that “works”, we’ve had far too many of those in chivalry already.

well I can agree on sloppy. Handlehits back on gmace? Great! Same amount of that handle added to billhook? Ehh, it’s made an already good weapon kinda retarded.

• I’m sure whoever is managing the mod will tell you that it’s not ready to be pushed to live anyway. Give them feedback until they come to that decision.

• I dont mind handle hits, never did and keeping your distance is always preferable to a mechanic change in the game. That said, until the vanguard charge and archer issue are ironed out, all it will do is what it is doing now and confusing players.

• @swagfox:

well I can agree on sloppy. Handlehits back on gmace? Great! Same amount of that handle added to billhook? Ehh, it’s made an already good weapon kinda retarded.

I think it was a wise decision to use different size tracers for different weapons, I don’t really know the detail of all tracer changes, but I really think his sword tracer changes are interesting. The only weapons they could be completely removed from are the flails, they need all the help they can get.

• I vote no for now. I disagree with some balancing decisions that are currently being processed, but highly appreciate first hit flinch. Removing VG charge is not preferable to me. I’d rather see swords get a vertical strike and not the wide sweep charge, and would never want it just removed.

I also voted no because not everyone who plays Chivalry does so competitively. The mod removes some of the casual fun flavor of chiv in favor of a competitive environment, and with an already small community I do not think this would be appreciated by those who do not want to compete.

As a mod it’s great, it can be utilized for scrims and duel yards. For public play, I see it only discouraging our already small player population.

• Mercs isn’t finished yet and is far better than the live game already in my opinion.

• Why would this be asked at 1.6 stage? It’s not even close to being finished.

• When it’s complete - Yes

In its current state - Yes

• No, not in my opinion. Let the competitive community do its own thing. Similar competitive mods and setups exist in other games without changing the game for casual non-competitive players (e.g., Insurgency’s official competitive 5v5 & TheDGL custom competitive theater vs live Insurgency) and the changes are usually far less radical compared to what mercs offers.

FWIW, I’m not against the mod, I just don’t think it should be dumped into the main game for similar reasons stated in Gauntlet’s post.

• I vote no for now. I disagree with some balancing decisions that are currently being processed, but highly appreciate first hit flinch. Removing VG charge is not preferable to me. I’d rather see swords get a vertical strike and not the wide sweep charge, and would never want it just removed.

Vanguard charge will be added back in if it means getting the mod added to live. It’s undeniably broken though, and the animations are unfixable so it’s all or nothing.

I also voted no because not everyone who plays Chivalry does so competitively. The mod removes some of the casual fun flavor of chiv in favor of a competitive environment, and with an already small community I do not think this would be appreciated by those who do not want to compete.

Most casual players who join mercs servers don’t notice any difference to the live game, and either leave because they find the mod boring (expecting a black knight/giant slayers experience) or stay to figure out the changes. I don’t see how it removes casual fun factor either - I’d say the opposite is true in that it enhances the fun by rebalancing overpowered/underpowered weapons. It really sucks to see so many weapons kept unviable and overshadowed by objectively better weapons, and it will never change other than with a mod.

As a mod it’s great, it can be utilized for scrims and duel yards. For public play, I see it only discouraging our already small player population.

See above. Also splitting the community between a mod and live will only make it harder for new players to join the competitive scene, whereas if it were added to live there would be no change. This mod is necessary as TBS are not supporting the game anymore with balance updates and left it in a rather poor spot.

Again, remember that it isn’t finished yet and none of the proposed/included changes are permanent (save for FHF) and are subject to change & criticisms; if you have something to say about a change then say it! Our final goal is to get the balance into a spot where it won’t need to be touched (at least for a good while - metas change and with that new issues may arise), even some map balancing/tweaking is possible and could again enhance casual play as the more fun/balanced maps there are, the better (look at how often Coldfront or Citadel get voted away from in favour of a map such as Darkforest or Stoneshill). Visual and gameplay tweaks are all possible thanks to our talented level designers.

• i would say no currently until it’s completed. I’d hate for the small community to get even smaller. Hell today all i could find was damn 32 man servers populated, because in general people like to just run around like idiots and swing around and shit. Casuals would get completely destroyed.

I want a lot of the changes in the game, but it’s kind of too stringent for average or noob players. Them all of a sudden getting flinched at the end of their release would cause a lot of WTF moments.

I do want a lot of the changes, as a whole it may be too comp for casuals but I’d rather just make that decision later instead of now.

Spook, you know how i feel about the live game already so, yeah. It’s pretty shit. My excitement lies in the return of some form of flinch because hit trades are garbagely broken bullshit, and I’m VERY excited for a much needed and awaited archery nerf (ruiners of all fun and enjoyment for me, and those fuckers think it’s balanced somehow)

• i think we should make a casual mod

bring back panic parry, reduce stam loss from missing attacks, faster hp regen

• Even if this mod did go live, I don’t think it would have anywhere near an effect on player population as banning 3rd person does. A lot of people like to play in 3rd person, and not for competitive edge, but merely for preference and fun.

• No for now. It’s not even finished. I’m interested to see it in action, and I’m liking a lot of the fixes I’m seeing (Especially flail being un-fucked) I want to test it, but I can’t seem to see any Australian servers, and people very rarely enter modded servers for some reason.

• @Gauntlet:

The mod removes some of the casual fun flavor of chiv in favor of a competitive environment

How?

I voted yes, of course. FHF saves this game.

@50ShadesofClay:

I want a lot of the changes in the game, but it’s kind of too stringent for average or noob players. Them all of a sudden getting flinched at the end of their release would cause a lot of WTF moments.

They thing the same when get rekt by a zweihander drag, or when someone with a dagger parries his maul, should we take this in consideration and balance thinking on them too?

• “It’s not even finished yet, don’t judge it!”

Neither was the chivalry balance until recently, yet I remember people judging it before.

Sure I want the game to be like before when I easily could get 87-6 scores as a vanguard in TO, why? Because it’s fun to pummel through casuals and racking up kills while feeling like a god. But I somehow understand some, not all, of TBS changes and how they cater towards the general public. I remember rank 6 people going 0-31 K/D, now imagine you were casually playing a game, how fun would it be to not even get a kill and die over and over again? The difference now is that two opponents lmbing through eachother can kill me, because I either have to trade them with a riposte or I run out of stamina before they even manage to kill one another.

• @Xylvion:

“It’s not even finished yet, don’t judge it!”

Neither was the chivalry balance until recently, yet I remember people judging it before.

Sure I want the game to be like before when I easily could get 87-6 scores as a vanguard in TO, why? Because it’s fun to pummel through casuals and racking up kills while feeling like a god. But I somehow understand some, not all, of TBS changes and how they cater towards the general public. I remember rank 6 people going 0-31 K/D, now imagine you were casually playing a game, how fun would it be to not even get a kill and die over and over again? The difference now is that two opponents lmbing through eachother can kill me, because I either have to trade them with a riposte or I run out of stamina before they even manage to kill one another.

ya in pubs i remember i would go knight and literally never die unless i got bursted down by archers