Screen Tearing and Vsync…

• I recently upgraded my GPU from a 650 ti boost to a 970 and while I didn’t expect much of a performance increase in Chivalry because of obvious optimization issues I’d like to atleast be able to work out this screen tearing issue.
    I’ve always used Vsync in Chivalry to avoid screen tearing because I could barely get 120 fps with my previous card but I was hoping to be able to kick Vsync off with the 970.

So far I can’t seem to get rid of the screen tearing with Vsync off even at low settings which is what I play at to maintain 120fps on most maps. Any help would be appreciated?

For the record I have an i5 3350p, 8 gigs of ram and I’m playing on a 144hz Asus monitor.

• I’m on a 60hz monitor but I’ve always found screen tearing worse with the smoothframerate set to true (120 fps vs 90 fps).

• I never even notice screen tearing in Chivalry to be honest with you. I’m running a GTX 980 with no Vsync on. Maybe I just don’t look properly :/

• So far with my GTX 980 I have noticed that the in game settings/optimizations are horrid VS Nvidia settings. Try turning off Vsync in game but on in Nvidia. If you dont have a 144hz monitor, no point in going for 120fps as online is capped @90 so set your smoothframerate to 90 and make sure you have triple buffering on. Turn down all your AA and anisotropic down and them up in Nvidia for better AA and adjust to your liking. The only ill effect to this is some micro stuttering during heavy combat and large open areas.

I will also tell you that the 970s have had issues in manufacturing so that is why they are fairly cheap because so many are getting rid of them. So keep that in mind before your 30 days are up if you cannot get past those issues. And clearly make sure you try several of the older drivers if the new ones are giving you problems.

Many players are so used to shitty graphic issues that they dont even know what they are looking at till you point them out. Once you do and they see it. that is all they will see.

• Nvidia control panel>
    manage 3D settings>
    lower maximum pre-rendered frames
    single display performance mode
    maximum performance
    Verticle sync off

ingame>
    configuration>
    vysnc off

Also based off your CPU make sure you have ragdolls on low.

• @AmishInsurgent:

Nvidia control panel>
    manage 3D settings>
    lower maximum pre-rendered frames
    single display performance mode
    maximum performance
    Verticle sync off

ingame>
    configuration>
    vysnc off

Also based off your CPU make sure you have ragdolls on low.

yeah, forgot about a few of those

• Okay thanks, yeah I have ragdolls set to 3 at the moment.

• Some of my Settings may make it worse. Is your fps stable at 120?

• I run 120 pretty stable on most maps on those settings with Gsync on but I do get terrible micro-studdering.

• Yeah my fps is pretty stable at 120 on most maps. I’m a little confused at what retsnom said though. I’m pretty sure you can get 120 fps online with smoothframes set to true. I know set to false it caps at 90 but stat fps reads 120 with it set to true and it makes a pretty big visible difference to me. Are you sure it caps at 90 online? An yes I have an Asus 144hz monitor.

Edit: For the record I’m thrilled with the 970 it makes a huge difference in all of my other games….

I also had a question about input lag in general, will it effect my ability to que a parry? I know it can slow down mouse movement but can it actually make the mouse buttons respond slower?

• How can you play with Vsync? The input lag is mortifying.

At any rate, screen tearing is a serious problem. If you can afford it, I’d buy a Gsync monitor. All the buttersmooth play of vsync without input lag.

• I’ve always played this game with Vsync on…. But back to my previous question will input lag cause my parries or attacks to respond slower or only my mouse movement?

• Input lag is the lag between when you do something and when you see the visual representation. So yes, it will affect a mouse click but it’s far more noticeable and annoying if it’s lagging your mouse movement because that gives you a floaty, weird delayed effect to your character movement/aiming (not to mention moving the cursor in a menu).

However, vsync with a high refresh rate and an FPS capped underneath it, you’ll be seeing far less input lag than you would if you were using vsync on a 60hz monitor. Best is to just try it out for yourself and see if you can cope with the potential 7ms lag that you would get with 120fps + 144hz.

• @Dire:

Yeah my fps is pretty stable at 120 on most maps. I’m a little confused at what retsnom said though. I’m pretty sure you can get 120 fps online with smoothframes set to true. I know set to false it caps at 90 but stat fps reads 120 with it set to true and it makes a pretty big visible difference to me. Are you sure it caps at 90 online? An yes I have an Asus 144hz monitor.

Edit: For the record I’m thrilled with the 970 it makes a huge difference in all of my other games….

I also had a question about input lag in general, will it effect my ability to que a parry? I know it can slow down mouse movement but can it actually make the mouse buttons respond slower?

Technically speaking UDK online frame rate is capped at 90 but you can get 120 fps with that set to true and the it will read 120 specially with a 144Hz monitor as I have the same one. It is kind of a bypass if you have Vsync on.

If you are playing with Vsync on, the lower the Render Frames Ahead to 1. Adding in the Frame cap flags to 120 manually is also a good idea so that the GPU is not going to produce more FPS than the BsmoothFramerate is set at. Both of these will lower stuttering and mouse input lag.

To be honest though I started playing with vsync off both in game and Nvidia and really haven’t noticed screen tearing but still there is some micro stuttering. I am wondering if it is the DPI setting on the mouse and or mouse pad. I have a G501 and am considering playing with mouse smoothing or reducing my DPI since I have removed all mouse smoothing from in game, the computer and Logitech software.