The "Random" Dungeon Project. [MAP/MODE] - Help needed!

• For the last two-three months I’ve been slowly designing a new kind of a map for Chivalry. It is not a Team-Objective map, nor any of the known modes. Look at it, as a special kind of map, like Crypt or Horde Town, but lets call it “an Individual-Objective map!”

**Lore:
    In this scenario You play a role of a lone Adventurer, that risks his life and explores “The random Dungeon” in order to get the treasures that lie within - Sounds simple and boring right?; It’ll get more interesting though.

Gameplay concept/intro:

Once spawned in-game, You’ll find yourself in some sort of a room with a random theme, like a: prison, sewer or even something weird like an Ice dungeon. The first thing you’ll probably notice is being alone with just bare fists. You’ll have to navigate through the tunnels, halls and rooms to find yourself some kind of a weapon. Grab loot and special items such as potions, which will increase your speed/health/stamina or any other possible stat. However, the most important thing You’ll notice are buttons, levers, pressure plates and other weird objects you can use. Those interactable objects (if used) will cause a random event on the map.

TL;DR - Explore dungeons, kill people, collect gold, pick up weapons and buffs.

Overall design, gameplay and info:

List of example events which might happen if you use any of previously mentioned objects:

• Geting set on fire.
    • Summoning a monster/guardian which will try to kill you.
    • Getting teleported to a special or random place.
    • Floor collapsing beneath your feet - Fall might kill you or place You in some sort of a different themed dungeon.
    • Getting access to a new room which was previously closed.
    • Causing random Visual effect (like a camera shake, being drunk, blindness or any other playercamera effect).
    • Getting random loot/item/buff.

These are just few simple examples. One of the goals is to make the map as much random and surprising as possible. Even just by simply walking through a random tunnel or room might trigger an event which will happen in another, distant room affecting another player, scary huh?

**Which door will you choose?

Next item of interest are doors. Doors (if used) will play an animation of opening and closing, always teleporting the player to another random dungeon, with a nice, camera-fade effect. Some doors will be locked. Some doors will be barriaced, even if you just came out of them…

Now about the loot… Any “Treasure” you find and pick up (mostly chests and bags filled with coins), will add up to your score. Loot will spawn randomly across the map, so players need to check every shelf, chest and corner to actually find some.

Winning conditions:

The player with most score will win the game.

**Map goals:

• Create an immersive dungeon crawling experience for at least 16-24 player server.
    • Design very detailed playable space.
    • Make Interesting, scary random events, traps and AI battles.
    • Player confusion, hue.

Additional info:

Map and mode was inspired by many RPGs, dungeon crawlers and horror games.

Few screenshots:

MAP WAS BUILT WITH POOR LOW-QUALITY PREVIEW LIGHTNING, IT WILL LOOK MUCH BETTER.

Community - I need your help:

I recently got hired as a level designer and don’t have much time to work on this. That is why I’m looking for other mappers that are willing to help me work and finish this project.

To put it simple: I need more dungeons. Currently the map is in early stage and consists of 8 different-themed dungeons. Goal is 24 dungeons for early release on workshop and 32 for final build.

If you are somewhat experienced within the UDKengine/Chivalry SDK and IS willing to work on a non-profit project to expand your abbilites, then you are a perfect candidate. HOWEVER, if Torn Banner Studios decides at any point in the future to incorporate “Random Dungeon” into the game and reward me for the map; Then I shall distribute the prize money to all the mappers, based on how much work they have contributed into the project.

This is a big project - If You are actually willing to help me, then You must meet some of the overall basic requirements;

You must know how to:

• Use/edit/place BSP and meshes.
    • Place immersive lightning that fits the themed dungeon.
    • Use Post-process and/or effects.
    • Work with volumes and Lanscape/foliage tool.

Pluses:

• Knowledge of basic kismet and matinee.
    • Making own materials and/or models.
    • Attention to detail.
    • Creative trap design.

If interested, then please contact me on.:

STEAM - Vesanus

SKYPE - andyp.pl

GMAIL - vesanus234@gmail.com

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS, AS I FEEL I FORGOT TO EXPLAIN SOME STUFF. SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS ON HOW TO EXPAND/IMPROVE THE MAP ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!

My English is not perfect so sorry to any grammar nazi out there

• Looks cool.

I sort of tried the same concept a while ago but with a party system, yet I only got around to making reliable bot follower AI. Then I said “fuck it” and gave up on the rest.

• This is awesome! Can’t wait till it’s finished.

• If we sign up, are we in fact making a full sized map or just a few rooms that you will do whatever with? This is a really cool idea and it looks great.

• I made a modular dungeon model pack not too long ago, havent had the time to work on it though, maybe the project could use it?

its certainly far less laggy than BSPs

• This piqued my interest so I made a lil start. http://imgur.com/a/Vi23v

• Once spawned in-game, You’ll find yourself in some sort of a room with a random theme, like a: prison, sewer or even something weird like an Ice dungeon. The first thing you’ll probably notice is being alone with just bare fists. You’ll have to navigate through the tunnels, halls and rooms to find yourself some kind of a weapon. Grab loot and special items such as potions, which will increase your speed/health/stamina or any other possible stat. However, the most important thing You’ll notice are buttons, levers, pressure plates and other weird objects you can use. Those interactable objects (if used) will cause a random event on the map.

Sounds exectly like TES Oblivion to me.
    Wonder how far this is going.

• @Pebble:

If we sign up, are we in fact making a full sized map or just a few rooms that you will do whatever with? This is a really cool idea and it looks great.

Minimum is one single dungeon - It doesn’t have to be big; More like a 1-2 Rooms with passages/tunnels is fine. If finished, then just simply send me the file and I’ll incorporate it into the main map.

For more information just add me on Steam and I’ll answer every question.

@zombojoe:

I made a modular dungeon model pack not too long ago, havent had the time to work on it though, maybe the project could use it?

I’m doing fine for now with models, but I’ll think about it. You can always share with someone that wants to help with the project.

@Hordy:

Sounds exectly like TES Oblivion to me.
    Wonder how far this is going.

Yeah it kinda does, huh. Hopefully with help of others this project will see the light of day.

Bear in mind that this project is quite big and very kismet-heavy, so IT will take a while to finish it.

• Mind explaining what you need for a dungeon? Like some rooms with different sizes and layouts or a large multiroom dungeon. If you want individual rooms, do you want the rooms to have some kind of set layout? E.g. 4 way room, 3 way room, corridor, dead end? A few rooms to join onto other sets? E.g. Ice caves to Sewer, Dungeon to Sewer. Is the player going to be teleported to these rooms or are you going to use them as a modular set (so do we have to have doors and whatnot line up)

Maybe consider making a template map like the SDK template ones. Tell me what you want and I am happy to help.

• I’m almost done with my room or maybe rooms rather? http://imgur.com/a/TuxK6

I hope it is going in the right direction for your vision of the project

• @Phisi:

Mind explaining what you need for a dungeon? Like some rooms with different sizes and layouts or a large multiroom dungeon. If you want individual rooms, do you want the rooms to have some kind of set layout? E.g. 4 way room, 3 way room, corridor, dead end? A few rooms to join onto other sets? E.g. Ice caves to Sewer, Dungeon to Sewer. Is the player going to be teleported to these rooms or are you going to use them as a modular set (so do we have to have doors and whatnot line up)

Maybe consider making a template map like the SDK template ones. Tell me what you want and I am happy to help.

One theme per dungeon, so if you choose the ice theme, then the whole dungeon is made of ice.

Make the dungeon as you like - It might be just one big room, several rooms connected with tunnels and dead ends, It’s really up to you. Just make room for fighting, loot, player spawn, at least 3 doors, traps or other interactable objects. Please don’t make too big dungeons, as there will be 32 dungeons in the final build.

I’ll give more precise info soon when I’ll get on my normal working schedule. Stay tuned.

–-

Nice work Pebble, this is what I have in mind!