Drags & Feints

• Can someone explain why the hell alot of people still complain about drags and feints?
    I mean if you dont use them fights would be very boring and just stamina warfare (well it is even with drags). And please dont come with “you can’t do that irl” because it is not real live.

And something else that bothered me for a long time:
    Why can’t you do damage with a projectile after you died?

• Drags are fun, feints are irritating. I think that’s why to be honest. Feints are just really hard to read and sometimes impossible due to poor server quality and at times broken netcode.

As for the projectile thing, I wish that existed. Frustrates me to tears when I have a leadball hurling at a bleeding player and I die right before it hits them.

• Im pretty sure that you were able to do that with projectiles pre content update 2 iirc.

• If you damaged with a projectile after you died it would make duels, LTS etc pretty weird - well you won but you are also dead.

Feints are only really annoying when it is a short fast weapon like an archer dagger or MAA broadsword when there is no way you could possibly wait until the feint window has passed. Of course one tries not to get into that situation in the first place by feinting them first…

• @Tyoson:

As for the projectile thing, I wish that existed. Frustrates me to tears when I have a leadball hurling at a bleeding player and I die right before it hits them.

You use lead ball? That’s pathetic!

• This post is deleted!

• @Tyoson:

Drags are fun, feints are irritating. I think that’s why to be honest. Feints are just really hard to read and sometimes impossible due to poor server quality and at times broken netcode.

This and the fact that you don’t get punished for overfeinting like in CDW since running out of stamina and getting stunned on your next parry doesn’t last very long so you can usually get another parry in after getting stunned. Also, a lot of weapons in cdw are really fast compared to CMW which makes the parry window so tiny which makes feints a pain in the ass to deal with like Gregcau mentioned. The only weapon I can think of that would maybe be fair to feint with is poleaxe since it’s shit but other than that the game is so unbalanced that feints are just downright broken. You won’t see anyone in the higher level plays use feints (atleast not the high rank guys who are part of the “high rank community” in CDW EU).

Drags shouldn’t be a problem. I haven’t seen many whine about it atleast… I drag very often - it isn’t broken like feints.

• I wasnt talking about cdw. I never liked it but its interesting to know. Ive seen some people complain about draging in cmw and that just makes no sense to me.

• Feints are not broken some of the faster weapons are harder to read and simply annoying when you dont predict one or react to one correctly. Some weapons drag animations are wonky as well and hard to predict to and react to which is also annoying when they phase through what looks like a good parry. Again, lets just beat this dead horse some more.

• Feints are fine except for some 2h stabs, not sure what the rest are you are talking about.

• Imo what makes feints kinda bullshit are instant attacks, caused by lag. How the fuck can you read anything when there are instant attacks in the game? I bet in lan feints are no problemo, even with fast as fuck weapons. Also when people feint backswings in your face, I mean wtf… Its pure gamble and I really, REALLY doubt anyone here can read this kind of shit.

Maybe in lan, who knows.

• @Vanguard:

Imo what makes feints kinda bullshit are instant attacks, caused by lag. How the fuck can you read anything when there are instant attacks in the game? I bet in lan feints are no problemo, even with fast as fuck weapons. Also when people feint backswings in your face, I mean wtf… Its pure gamble and I really, REALLY doubt anyone here can read this kind of shit.

Maybe in lan, who knows.

I can sort of relate.

I can read (most) feints, even the ones completely out of nowhere.
    I can read drags, even from someone I never knew used them.
    I can read backswings, even the most ridiculous ones like Greatsword and Polearms.

But then you encounter this random thug who uses all 3 of them and bam! - fuck it, I’m done for today.
    People can tell me whatever they like but I won’t be buying it. You simply can’t both read feints AND react to backswings in time.

• @Vanguard
    I kept reading some dudes backswing claymore feints the other day, but I had like 48 ping then and not my usual 64-68. Apparantly that made a huge difference.

If the feint window was 50ms shorter (aka end feint window 50ms longer) I guess it’d be a lot easier for everyone to read feints, the people with below 30 ping would probably not fall for a single feint. The comp scene in EU is basically dead, NA uses mercs mod to scrim, AUS players don’t use feints at all, would a longer end feint window hurt vanilla that much? 200ms or 225ms as the end feint window instead of 150ms, what do you guys think?

• stab feints in general are pretty lulzy cuz they start inside you, same with overheads and b0ckswings

melee weapons really need some sort of world collision before they reach release, kinda how like your gun reacts to how close it is to the environment in crysis

• Ugh I hate this ignorant argument. There is nothing wrong with feints. They are nor fully mean to be read as the nature of a feint is to fool you in to parrying. Some weapons do have faster feints and can be very annoying but this is where experience and prediction comes in to play. That is right you should also anticipate times when someone is going to to feint. If you play against often it is more easier to predict when they will pull one and react appropriately. Range is the final factor. Keeping proper distance also plays an important roll as well. Short fast weapons are always going to try and face hug you so the feint is much fast and harder to predict.

There will always be occasions when ping/lag will give you the super fast feint but that is with any mechanic.

Who keeps deleting my post with picks of beating a dead horse?

• @Retsnom:

Again, lets just beat this dead horse some more.

Feints are a dead horse I am willing to beat some more, and then light on fire.

Feints would be OK if we always played in a fast LAN environment with 1ms latency. However with internet latency and some fast weapons feints are cheap and annoying. Because with internet latency the time to react is slim-to-none. You have to predict whether your opponent is going to feint or riposte. It makes Chiv a predictive dice roll game, instead of a reaction based game.

IMO fights where you trade like 6 ripostes in a row are fun as hell! OP has a good point that without feints fights could be won simply because of stamina drain. However, this is how it is with shields right now. You can 100% win-out a stamina battle against a shield every time, no one seems to care about stam battles there.

Furthermore, without feints I doubt most fights would turn into stamina battles. Someone would win before that by another means, e.g.: a player doesn’t block a riposte or two, one player slips up the other by waiting a second to attack instead of riposting, win by outmaneuvering your opponent, dodge his attack and land yours. Increasing stamina capacity across the board would make it even less likely that a battle would be won by stamina drain.

• stamina fights happen all the time vs maul

you can feint the maul user a few times but if you dont kill him immediately he will stam you out and kill you with the 1 shot

• @gref:

Feints are a dead horse I am willing to beat some more, and then light on fire.

Feints would be OK if we always played in a fast LAN environment with 1ms latency. However with internet latency and some fast weapons feints are cheap and annoying. Because with internet latency the time to react is slim-to-none. You have to predict whether your opponent is going to feint or riposte. It makes Chiv a predictive dice roll game, instead of a reaction based game.

IMO fights where you trade like 6 ripostes in a row are fun as hell! OP has a good point that without feints fights could be won simply because of stamina drain. However, this is how it is with shields right now. You can 100% win-out a stamina battle against a shield every time, no one seems to care about stam battles there.

Furthermore, without feints I doubt most fights would turn into stamina battles. Someone would win before that by another means, e.g.: a player doesn’t block a riposte or two, one player slips up the other by waiting a second to attack instead of riposting, win by outmaneuvering your opponent, dodge his attack and land yours. Increasing stamina capacity across the board would make it even less likely that a battle would be won by stamina drain.

You realize that your assumption that you should be able to react to a feint as a mechanic is based on a false premise? Please review the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feint

So by nature it is designed to FOOL YOU into parrying or reaction. This is very much the case as it fools even the best players if they do not ANTICIPATE one or maintain the right distance. I fake feint all the time and it gets people to parry. Fake Feint you ask? Yes and how you do this? Much like the feint mechanic should be used sparingly to avoid predictability. So when face hugging, I will occasionally do a simple timed look up while doing nothing else, which gets them to parry, then I crush them. So would you cap looking up?

Feints are fine, they do what they are intended to do. Some are more cheesy than others and some so so damn slow and predictable and super easy to read. We all know which 1 handers have fast feints and which slow pole weapons have longer feints. Defense, distance and foot work are your best allies. Yeah I get mad at myself when I fall for one, even more so if it happens more than once from the same player. I also find that those who rely on feints fall victim of them themselves because they are more aggressive than defensive. It is all about the player and time in the game. The more you play, the easier it is to predict when a player will throw one. Feints are not some magic instant free hit or kill. If you die from them a lot then that is on you.

Thus a very dead horse.

• @Retsnom:

You realize that your assumption that you should be able to react to a feint as a mechanic is based on a false premise? Please review the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feint

So by nature it is designed to FOOL YOU into parrying or reaction. This is very much the case as it fools even the best players if they do not ANTICIPATE one or maintain the right distance. I fake feint all the time and it gets people to parry. Fake Feint you ask? Yes and how you do this? Much like the feint mechanic should be used sparingly to avoid predictability. So when face hugging, I will occasionally do a simple timed look up while doing nothing else, which gets them to parry, then I crush them. So would you cap looking up?

Feints are fine, they do what they are intended to do. Some are more cheesy than others and some so so damn slow and predictable and super easy to read. We all know which 1 handers have fast feints and which slow pole weapons have longer feints. Defense, distance and foot work are your best allies. Yeah I get mad at myself when I fall for one, even more so if it happens more than once from the same player. I also find that those who rely on feints fall victim of them themselves because they are more aggressive than defensive. It is all about the player and time in the game. The more you play, the easier it is to predict when a player will throw one. Feints are not some magic instant free hit or kill. If you die from them a lot then that is on you.

Thus a very dead horse.

stop relating this to real life. its supposed to be a balanced video game

• Remove feints?

What did I miss.