Drags & Feints

• @Xylvion:

I think rainbows are ROH’s and waterfalls are drags to the opposite side. Stupid names are stupid. Opposite side drag and Reverse Overhead sounds far more logical and can be shortened to ROH and OSD. :L

Ok, I’m glad that’s settled.

I dislike opposite side drags. They’ve never animated properly for me. The sword just kind of appears on my right shoulder instead of gracefully arcing over and back in like it appears in my perspective when I use them. Biggest example of end game techniques that show the combat engine being pushed past its limit, imo. I don’t know if they animate better at 120fps :/

• That’s why you don’t look at the weapon all the time when parrying. It’s important to aim at your opponent’s weapon while focusing on your opponent’s shoulders and feet so you can see the hidden intention behind his attacks.

For example, when an OSD is performed properly, if you only focus on the weapon you can see it gracefully bypasses your parry. But if you look at his shoulder you can see that he started to twist and move to your side even before you see the effect of that movement on his weapon. If you tutn to the direction where he intends to hit you as a reaction, even if he fails the OSD and it still hits like a regular overhead you’d parry. Looking up and crouching helps a lot with this.

(looking up and crouching nullifies OSD almost completely but following your opponent is the better practice)

Same goes for “faked accelerates into delays” and vice versa

• Yeah, it’s possible to defend against them with experience and the generally good policy of crouching and looking up, but I still dislike that the animation doesn’t match what’s actually happening. It’s janky, like extreme brandistock drags, slash backswings with greatswords (and most other swords, I guess) and horizontal OSD (HOSD?) with the maul. It’s these shenanigans that make the game impossible to take seriously, imo. Still good for a laugh though.

• @Xylvion:

I went one round of feinting yesterday, just to see how people would react, I got votekicked

I think you were votekicked for being an asshole in chat, not related to your feinting.

• @gndo:

Rainbow overhead is where you swing your sword in such a masculine way that proves you are finally out of the closet and proud.

These forums need a like button.

• @Xylvion:

I think rainbows are ROH’s and waterfalls are drags to the opposite side. Stupid names are stupid. Opposite side drag and Reverse Overhead sounds far more logical and can be shortened to ROH and OSD. :L

On the SEA servers “drags” often refer to a slowed down swing (of any kind) where as the opposite is called an “acceleration”. Reverse overheads are reverse overheads. Not entirely logical but not completely idiotic like the rainbow/waterfall crap.

• @gregcau:

I think you were votekicked for being an asshole in chat, not related to your feinting.

Your post history isn’t looking too great for you to be throwing out accusations such as this.

• @dudeface:

On the SEA servers “drags” often refer to a slowed down swing (of any kind) where as the opposite is called an “acceleration”. Reverse overheads are reverse overheads. Not entirely logical but not completely idiotic like the rainbow/waterfall crap.

Yes it’s the same here, but every acceleration/reverse is a drag of some kind even if drag is usually refered to as proloning your release.

• imo there’s a simple and obvious answer (unless you’re a whining n0000b) - both drags and feints are completely fine

but, (1) drags and speeded up attacks should do a bit less damage, maybe 85%, however it’s not that important because good players can block most drags easily, and they make the game a lot more fun

(2) feinting is fine, but NOT when someone fights normal then feints on the last strike just to get the win, that’s the only not cool thing

• @King:

(2) feinting is fine, but NOT when someone fights normal then feints on the last strike just to get the win, that’s the only not cool thing

wat if you have no health and its a pub and you’re about to git shanked by an archer

• @King:

imo there’s a simple and obvious answer (unless you’re a whining n0000b) - both drags and feints are completely fine

but, (1) drags and speeded up attacks should do a bit less damage, maybe 85%, however it’s not that important because good players can block most drags easily, and they make the game a lot more fun

The last hit is the most critical one.
    You become overly defensive and thus more susceptible to feints.
    For the person attacking you, these extra few seconds that you survive for being more defensive, can be very dangerous. Especially in TO, in terms of your teammates closing in on him.

• @MrGrumps:

The last hit is the most critical one.
    You become overly defensive and thus more susceptible to feints.
    For the person attacking you, these extra few seconds that you survive for being more defensive, can be very dangerous. Especially in TO, in terms of your teammates closing in on him.

Agreed. Not always but many times that is the best time to feint. It is the same reason douche nozzels try that 360 bokswing bullshit.

22 pages and that horse is not being resurrected no matter how many times you dip your wick into it.

• @Mobintime:

Just played some duels on mercs mod and feints seem pretty well balanced imo. It does feel like it raised the skill ceiling because I get rekt by great duelists a higher percentage of the time now. Normal chivalry doesn’t look like it’s going to change much from now on though so those feint windows are probably there to stay.

That makes less than no sense.

You will beat better players than yourself more often when feints are involved than without them. Even those who entertain the notion of reading feints (by using all the aforementioned hardware and settings/ping) still won’t be doing so as reliably as against drags and reverses. You should barely ever beat someone superior to you in a no-feint duel.

@Fart:

You can’t compare a simple color change reaction time test to reading feints. I think I have a more accurate reaction time test to determine your feint reading abilities. It would be a square on the screen. There is a countdown from 5 to 0. On 0, the square will either rotate to the right or to the left. If it rotates to the right, then you click. If it rotates to the left, then you don’t. The program would average up your scores from when you click and penalize you for when you clicked when you shouldn’t have.

There would be problems with this program. For one, when you read a feint you’re looking at more complex movement than a square rotating. Another problem is that it assumes that you’ve perfected the animations. You know exactly when the feint window passes.

I wonder what kind of results a reaction time test like this would give us. Timing, reading the animation and reaction all play a role in reading feints, but maybe we shouldn’t think of the reaction time in the terms that we’ve been thinking about it. I have about a 180 ms reaction time towards color change and I can read feints okay. The best feint reader I’ve ever seen had a reaction time of 280 ms though, which seems crazy to me.

No, A test that is similar to feints would be a square that moves and after a specific amount of time blows up on your screen unless you click on it.

However, you can only click on it below 180 ms (200 ms cutoff + ping time). If you click before this, you lose. So you have to wait and see it approach, and if you click it at the last 0.18 sec and below, you defend against it. But only if it was genuine. It will randomly not progress further beyond that cutoff point. If you still click it even though it didn’t transition into the final part, you lose. This would be an appropriate test.

One that I doubt anyone would get a consistently higher than 50% result on.

• Yesterday I played since a long time, went to a duel server, there was someone feinting with brandistock, and even though I had had a 6 month break, I read 2 out of 3 feints he threw at me in round 2. Stop being such a fagget pls.

• Mod

Man at arms who spam dodge and randomly throw stab feints. With 100 ping. It makes me want to fly kick the mother fucker. But kicks in this game are broken. So fuck.

• This post is deleted!

• @Tyoson:

Man at arms who spam dodge and randomly throw stab feints. With 100 ping. It makes me want to fly kick the mother fucker. But kicks in this game are broken. So fuck.

Gamble with zweihander overhead! They love zweihander man

Also, how about this here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7j0Ydk6Ps

33 mins of duels in Slasher without feints, looks boring even with the smaller parry box and all imo, and this game has clashing and a shitload of amazing mechanics… Picture no feint fights in Chivalry now.

Imo they are kind of OP at the moment, as Radiant put it, but they are a necessity as well

• People are still saying it’s impossible to read feints?

Look, i’m not good. I just hit rank 46, have never played the Mercs mod, never been in any competitive scene for Chivalry and have never gone out of my way to truly get good. With all of that in mind, even I can read feints pretty reliably if I know that my opponent is going to be using them. The only time feints are difficult to read is if your opponent is using something faster than a Dane Axe, or they’re very close to you and are stab feinting. If you’ve got range from them, and they’re using ANY two-hander or slow weapons in general, then you should be able to read the feint the majority of the time.

• @Tyoson:

Yes this kick doesn’t always perform within normal parameters, when being stabbed by the weak charactered archers tbh.
    Its a year today since I invited Mr Tyoson to join QualityStreet with the Beast of Bodmin who was swiftly
    removed for being such a fan boi and trolling steam forums as he still does today.
    Btw op feints were quite ok back then also.

• Mod

@loin:

Yes this kick doesn’t always perform within normal parameters, when being stabbed by the weak charactered archers tbh.
    Its a year today since I invited Mr Tyoson to join QualityStreet with the Beast of Bodmin who was swiftly
    removed for being such a fan boi and trolling steam forums as he still does today.
    Btw op feints were quite ok back then also.

Ah yes. QualityStreet. Such a lovely street tbh with you loin. I still try to do 360 spinning kicks, they fail most the time, but I don’t get feinted much so it’s ok.