Rampant Critical Bug - Mac Chivalry Fails To Launch - Is Torn Banner Delinquent?

• Greetings, my fellow iron clad warriors of honor and dignity. It is my deepest regret and a terrible burden to bestow upon fellow Mac-bearing hopefuls of this heart-wrenching news: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare fails to launch on Mac.

Worse yet, this is an issue that has obviously been rampant across the community since late January. Most disappointingly, Torn Banner has refused to acknowledge this fundamental problem with their recently released product. Are they working on a fix? Will they ever fix it? Will they offer any form of apology or refund? Nobody knows.

This isn’t an issue for all Mac users, but it’s definitely an issue for a lot of us.

The following is a chronologically sorted listing of threads full of people experiencing this issue:

It’s obviously surprising to see such a longstanding, common, and fundamental error untouched by the follow-up support that any new release requires. It’s especially disheartening that Torn Banner is ignoring these outcries from their new user base, without even offering a temporary workaround for the more tech-savvy users.

THE ISSUE ITSELF
    The game launches, displays the Unreal logo, then the Torn Banner logo, and then displays the initial loading screen. A loading screen that never ends. The animations in the loading screen play fine, and the bottom-right spinning sword indicator spins fine. The fans ramp up, the loading screen continues, but the main menu never loads. The game starts up in a windowed mode, and without focus. Command-tabbing to the Chivalry application does not succeed, and the OS appears to see the application as unresponsive (despite the loading indicator spinning smoothly). I wonder if this is an issue primarily for Yosemite users.

I have tried my best to troubleshoot this for as long as I could stand, to no avail. Trashing configs, steam verifying the game cache, opting into the [patch33] beta, launching the executable file with the command-line argument to open directly to a map (aocffa-arena3_p) – I’ve been able to make any progress on this issue. It doesn’t appear other users have had much success with their troubleshooting efforts, either.

If any Mac users have reached any success, progress, or clues in their troubleshooting efforts, I’m sure we’d all be appreciative to hear it.

• It’s been acknowledged numerous times that the problems were being worked on. I put a Mac/Linux sticky thread on the steam forum ages ago. It’s remarkable that you can go to all this effort and not notice any of that.

• @dudeface:

It’s been acknowledged numerous times that the problems were being worked on. I put a Mac/Linux sticky thread on the steam forum ages ago. It’s remarkable that you can go to all this effort and not notice any of that.

Why would anyone go to the steam forum

• Dudeface, you should probably link to the thread you’re talking about. In all of the threads that I chronologically listed, and all of the other searching I’ve done on this issue, I have found no response from Torn Banner. Maybe TB has made a statement about the issue, but I don’t think they’ve made it easy enough to find. If anyone can find a word from Torn Banner on this issue, I’m sure many of us would love to see a link to it in this thread.

This bug, having persisted since January, has been around long enough to suspect it’s going either unnoticed or ignored.

I’m hoping to gather more attention around this bug. As it stands, I can’t recommend Chivalry to some friends because I don’t think it will launch on their machine, and I am skeptical that TB will resolve the issue any time soon. I hope Torn Banner realizes that this is a problem that’s worth fixing. They shouldn’t have launched a new product if they weren’t prepared to provide the most fundamental maintenance that is necessary to keep it successfully launching.

Even if it’s hard for Torn Banner to fix this in a timely fashion, I’m hoping they will at least publicly identify and illuminate the source of the problem such that those who are tech savvy and determined enough can change their system configuration or enact a workaround that will allow them to play Chivalry.