The things this game needs most

• Hey guys i’ve been waiting for this game for a while like alot of people and after finally playing it i must say this game is kickass, I havent played a game this fun in a long time. However i reckon since the games still new it will change quite a bit. Here are some things I noticed that I think could really using some fixing. So far most players ive asked in game have supported these ideas, their easy to implement, and would really fix almost every issue with this game currently.:

1. Optimization:

Games no fun if you can’t play it. Not just me but seems alot of people I have asked say this game runs kind of slow (regardless of settings Low-High) and is hard on my FPS even though I have the recommended specs and can play other games alot more 3D without a problem. I think this game could be better optimized to be easier on players computers. It’s a big deal because medieval games should have as little trimming as possible considering how fast paced it is (blocking and slashing isn’t possible with FPS dropping). With that said the games still playable, but it seems either on smaller maps, or when you have a large gathering of players together in 1 area, FPS drops significantly.

2. Thrusts need to do more damage. Period. To me it seems obvious that this is how game should be played:

-Horizontal swings do damage to multiple opponents, for the lowest damage of the 3 attacks. Chances it will kill team-mates. They have a 2 strike combo.

-Overhead swings are more for precision and have more chances of missing but don’t hurt as many team-mates and do more damage. They have a 2 strike combo.

-Thrusting should go be a precision attack that offers more reach like currently, but also adds more damage (even more then Overhead attacks?) With the lack of a 2 strike combo.

With the amount of missing I and others already do, the thrust needs to be buffed. It has no combo, if you miss, your dead, and by the time you wind up dudes already in your face. It has a slow wind up, and is easy to miss. A little reach bonus is nothing. I have NO REASON to use thrust, reach bonus is a stupid reason because most people im attacking are COMING AT ME anyway. So thrust should do +damage. You have no combo, if you miss, you die. The bonus reach is nice but really not all that important when people are coming at you, it really needs a damage buff if you ask me.

It would also be cool to make it more realistic by maybe giving pointed weapons a +dmg bonus on thrust, and blunt weapons a -dmg and “knockback” effect on thrust instead.Would be QUITE good.

3. You should be able to hold the shield button down while shield bashing without putting your shield down after. Nuff said. It’s stupid i shield bash someone only to drop my shield and get murked by somebody. If im bashing with my shield, it means im using my shield, why should i have to put it down after? It’s a shield situation, yo. Stupid to have to try to block again, leaving a second for someone to murk me. I dunno if this was done purposely to nerf the shield at some point but i dont think shield needs nerfing. Theres enough ways to get around the shield. Shield is needed badly alot of times, and i just feel its not as good as it should be, and the shield bash gets me killed more then it helps me. I think this could make up for it.

4. Fix the pole-arms: Max damage at the end of its range (because your getting hit with the axehead/spearhead) and less dmg once someone closes in on you (because your hitting them with the pole). This would make it more Rock Paper Scissors vs the vanguard. His weakness would truly be that you need to close in on him.

5. Give maces +dmg vs Knight: Because maces were invented to be used against heavy armour. Fixes the MAA issue vs Knights.

6. Crossbows do more dmg to heavy armour.

I think MAA are kinda underpowered. They cant mess with the Vanguard or night. Make the pole-arms more realistic (refer to #4) and give maces + vs knights and you have a realistic fix that only makes game funner, and is not hard to implement.

• A blanket ‘Thrusts need to do more damage’ does not help whatsoever. Some weapons are just completely designed to not thrust. Some weapons do superb thrusting damage. Some weapons are designed to pretty much thrust only. You’d have to be more weapon specific.

• 1. It would be nice being able to make it lower settings, but instead of making it really low resolution which makes the game blurry, keep the game the same resolution but make the graphics pathetic like the good old days in runescape 2. and you could remove the outer walls that add detail to the map. That would reduce the lag immensely.

2. Thrusting needs to do more damage? What are you talking about. if you swung something as hard as you can downwards, it would do a ton of damage, you cant put as much force behind a stab. and if you buffed thrusting in general, it would be way OP for Vanguards.

3. You can hold the shield button down, you only lower it when you run out of stamina.

4. That is very true, but I’m not sure how they could implement that. Maybe they could add three points on the pole-arms, one near the base, one near the middle, and one at the tip, with the tip doing the most damage, and near the handle the least.

5. That would help with the OP defense on knights, that’s one sure way to do the damage you should.

6. I think crossbows are fine how they already are.

• Stabbing is the fastest attack you can perform with any class or weapon, that’s the advantage of the attack, the tradoff being, it does less damage. The Norse Sword, the one meant for stabbing, can stab faster than almost any other weapon can attack. You can essentially keep your opponent stuck in limbo for the entire fight. His attacks will be interrupted and he’ll be forced to block or take damage.

I was playing against a player named BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY and he used this technique with the MAA class and just cleaned house. He’d dance around everyone and just poke, poke, poke, poke. If he got in close to you, there was really nothing you could do.

Stabbing is fine and works as intended. Most medieval armor is designed to stop thrusts and stabs anyway and is why you see chain mail on almost every class.

• @HEXEN:

I was playing against a player named BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY and he used this technique with the MAA class and just cleaned house. He’d dance around everyone and just poke, poke, poke, poke. If he got in close to you, there was really nothing you could do.

He goes by Xeekik on the forums. My star pupil ;)

I find it hard to agree with most of what you’ve said, OP. I think you’ll change your mind about a lot of this once you’ve played the game some more. Thrust is the best attack for most weapons currently, except weapons clearly not designed to thrust. Your idea for shield bashing would give shields even fewer downsides than currently - shields are extremely strong right now. Vanguards are already at a serious disadvantage if a Knight/MaA gets in close. Blunt weapons already do the most damage against Knights. Crossbows I can agree with, they don’t seem to be as armor piercing as one would expect.

Finally, as for MaA being underpowered - I disagree entirely. I think he has a serious edge on the Vanguard if he’s using his good weapons (unfortunately most of the MaA’s weapons aren’t fantastic right now - I’d suggest using the Norse Sword or Dane Axe) and only a minor disadvantage against Knights using swords/warhammer/MaA’s own weapons, but a gigantic advantage if they’re using a slow twohander.

• @SlyGoat:

only a minor disadvantage against Knights using swords/warhammer/MaA’s own weapons, but a gigantic advantage if they’re using a slow twohander.

I’d say they have a pretty sizeable disadvantage against a Knight with a Maul. (I’ve been confusing the Maul with the Warhammer… I blame Skyrim). The Maul can one shot an MAA, not something to take lightly when engaging a Knight wielding one.

I think the factors would make them pretty even as far as academic comparison, and also in game as well if even skill was applied to either side.

• I find the maul very easy to fight against with its long windup. You just wait for them to attack and flinch them. Or if they wait for you to attack, feint and follow up with a free hit since it’s so hard to predict a feint with a weapon as fast as the norse sword.

• @SlyGoat:

I find the maul very easy to fight against with its long windup. You just wait for them to attack and flinch them. Or if they wait for you to attack, feint and follow up with a free hit since it’s so hard to predict a feint with a weapon as fast as the norse sword.

We’ve been thinking about the maul for competitive play and we’ve placed it in the ‘support’ category. Totally not designed for engaging opponents in 1v1 or getting into combat first. We’d stick the Maul guy in ‘center field’, designed to hit already engaged targets whilst they are fighting our actual combat guys so they can take them down them easily. We’d probably have at most, 1 maul and no more really. Aaaand I’m not going to say anything else about any other weapon ;)

• Blaine keeping his competitive strats close to the vest.

• @Martin:

@SlyGoat:

I find the maul very easy to fight against with its long windup. You just wait for them to attack and flinch them. Or if they wait for you to attack, feint and follow up with a free hit since it’s so hard to predict a feint with a weapon as fast as the norse sword.

We’ve been thinking about the maul for competitive play and we’ve placed it in the ‘support’ category. Totally not designed for engaging opponents in 1v1 or getting into combat first. We’d stick the Maul guy in ‘center field’, designed to hit already engaged targets whilst they are fighting our actual combat guys so they can take them down them easily. We’d probably have at most, 1 maul and no more really. Aaaand I’m not going to say anything else about any other weapon ;)

I’ve been playing the maul wrong this entire time :?

• Definitely see what you mean about the support role, Martin. The Maul is sort of a niche playstyle, generally not a setup you’d see a lot of in competitive play, but I just can’t overlook the devestating power. Overhead blows are just too damn brutal. :D

@SlyGoat:

Indeed, 1vs1 engagements are tricky, especially when up against a MAA player. I’m still trying to master that magic dueling distance. Even still, if the Knight is given half his charge up time, he still follows through with the attack. I’ve had lots of MAA’s try to trade blows with me, probably thinking they would interrupt my swing until they got crushed. I find if I maintain distance longer, they get impatient, and backing up while attacking is something I find a lot of MAA’s have a problem with. Their short range weapons miss, but the Maul can still come down on their head. You can also create fantastic killzones with this tactic, allowing you to maintain distance even longer.

Still, a straight up dueling match against a talented MAA player is definitely a battle I dodge whenever possible, Zeekik learned me that. He was on a role. I was laughing just watching him dance around everyone. He got me more than a few times, that dirty MAA. :P

• The Maul is sort of a niche playstyle, generally not a setup you’d see a lot of in competitive play, but I just can’t overlook the devestating power. Overhead blows are just too damn brutal.

This is what I absolutely love about the Maul in Chivalry - it’s nothing like AoC anymore, previously a class that could go around completely by themselves and deliver one hit killing blows without even breaking a sweat and just pressured everything it went against due to actual damage through parries. If anyone tells me the Maul is overpowered in Chivalry I will personally strangle them with barbed wire.

A Maul user + MAA with a fast weapon has the capability to take on an entire stream of opponents if coordinated correctly. The MAA can do two things, force the defender to play cautiously thanks to the ability to dodge in at any point and deliver a super fast strike with a 1h weapon, or a good blocker can keep the defender on their toes by simply constantly attacking and parrying (the defender will be more pressured due to the speed of the 1h weapon, even if said defender had a 1h weapon himself), either style will give way for the Maul to charge in from the side or rear delivering that completely fatal blow when it matters the most. One attack from both classes will down any class in the game (the maul can take out 3 classes by itself, leaving the MAA to use his dodging talents to stay alive), thanks to the massive 94 damage from the Maul to a Knight, heck even if only the Maul hit, if both attackers then performed a kick which is impossible to block, the Knight will die. That just makes for some sexy teamwork.

• @Martin:

The Maul is sort of a niche playstyle, generally not a setup you’d see a lot of in competitive play, but I just can’t overlook the devestating power. Overhead blows are just too damn brutal.

This is what I absolutely love about the Maul in Chivalry - it’s nothing like AoC anymore, previously a class that could go around completely by themselves and deliver one hit killing blows without even breaking a sweat and just pressured everything it went against due to actual damage through parries. If anyone tells me the Maul is overpowered in Chivalry I will personally strangle them with barbed wire.

A Maul user + MAA with a fast weapon has the capability to take on an entire stream of opponents if coordinated correctly. The MAA can do two things, force the defender to play cautiously thanks to the ability to dodge in at any point and deliver a super fast strike with a 1h weapon, or a good blocker can keep the defender on their toes by simply constantly attacking and parrying (the defender will be more pressured due to the speed of the 1h weapon, even if said defender had a 1h weapon himself), either style will give way for the Maul to charge in from the side or rear delivering that completely fatal blow when it matters the most. One attack from both classes will down any class in the game (the maul can take out 3 classes by itself, leaving the MAA to use his dodging talents to stay alive), thanks to the massive 94 damage from the Maul to a Knight, heck even if only the Maul hit, if both attackers then performed a kick which is impossible to block, the Knight will die. That just makes for some sexy teamwork.

Speaking of kicks - if we’re talking about teamwork, pretty much any combination of two players coordinating together are guaranteed to kill a lone fighter if they can just get close enough for one of them to spam kick on him. I really dislike how easy it is to pull this off.

• Thrusts seem to have a better range, and as a noob this morning I skewered several vets by backing up when they attacked an thrusting into their guts. Don’t think it needs any more power, tbh.

• Heh, but that’d be 10 kicks from each player (assuming 2). I don’t think there’s even enough Stamina to do that (can’t check the files right now), and if you’re being kicked around for ~10-12 seconds, then well, where is the backup!? I do agree though, that’d be flipping annoying.

• @Martin:

Heh, but that’d be 10 kicks from each player (assuming 2). I don’t think there’s even enough Stamina to do that (can’t check the files right now), and if you’re being kicked around for ~10-12 seconds, then well, where is the backup!? I do agree though, that’d be flipping annoying.

Sorry, what I meant was since kicks basically stun you, one player can spam kick on you to break your block while the other gets free attacks in, with minimal timing required.

• Oh got ya, yeah hell, that’d be even easier for the Maul friend to land a hit.