Mods for sale.

• So Bethesda the creators of skyrim have decided to have it so modders on the workshop can sell their mods.

Not donate or anything. But actually have their “mods” for sale. You have to buy them to use them. Essentially people making their own DLCs.

Bethasda seems to want in on that $57 million earned by the workshop alone in just 4 years. The FAQ for it also reveals that the modder themselves only gets 25% of the income. And that could be split between many others who worked on the same mod. If we assume valves 30% take that means that Bethesda gets a whopping 35% of the income.

They haven’t really understood what modding actually is.

It’s very different to how games like chivalry, Dota 2, TF2 and CS:GO works. There isn’t a selection process. You can sell literally anything and with these games the items weren’t mods to begin with.

Not it to mention their refund policy lol. They actually have one. You can get a refund within 24 hours of purchase. Once traded it can not be refunded. Worse thing is the money doesn’t get refunded back to your credit card, paypal account or whatever. It goes to your steam wallet. Meaning valve gets your money in the end anyway.

• I think it’s cool that they have a pay what you want feature. Interested in seeing how it turns out and what other games decide to use the model. I’d like to see the creator profit percentage nudged up a bit though.

• A donation system would be far better. Even if Valve and Bethsda get a cut of the donation.

• I like it.

• I thought it was a good idea until I saw early access paid mods and just noped the hell out of there.

• Global Moderator

Bad system at the moment, will become better with some changes. Only real issue is that Valve takes a far too big of a % out of it. Always good that people can make a living out of something they like to do.

• 1:44 PM - crush (2): mercs 10$
    1:44 PM - crush (2): confirmed

• I would guess the funds the mods get are from the games developers after they take a good percentage.
    Rightly so.

• Won’t everyone just use the nexus though?

• @gndo:

Won’t everyone just use the nexus though?

Oh yeah right steam also hosts mods totally forgot about that.

• Look on the nexus. Some modders are actually going as far as to remove their mods from the nexus to sell them.

• @lemonater47:

The FAQ for it also reveals that the modder themselves only gets 25% of the income. And that could be split between many others who worked on the same mod. If we assume valves 30% take that means that Bethesda gets a whopping 35% of the income.

Silly Lemon, 35% + 30% + 25% =/= 100%. Or am I just just being stupid right now by missing something?

But yeah, agreed with the rest you said. The refund policy? Obvious lead-back to giving Steam your money one way or the other anyway.
    I’ve never been much of a fan of DLC and for one am deeply, deeply frustrated by the path recently taken in gaming development.
    I don’t believe in paying people up front for a project that’s 10% finished. Nor do I believe in grabbing a huge steak knife, cutting up your already finished project and then selling all that DLC seperately.

But that’s just me, I guess.

Now as to this paid workshop nonsense, I hope Valve gets their head out their ass QUICKLY and revert this bullshit.
    Because you want to know my concern with this paid workshop?

My deepest fear is that it’s gonna work.

(Most) modders will turn away from this like and are hopefully as disgusted by this as I am, but there will be some greedy hobbyists who are willing to charge for their mods and ruin the market for everyone else. A few dedicated modders who overcharge for their content is literally all that’ll take for Valve to keep this paid workshop nonsense up and running.

I also fear it’s some sort of huge step into the wrong direction. Every single game out there. It’s pay for this, pay for that. You want that cool area unlocked? Pay for it. That sword looks cool to you? Pay for it. You want to use the crucial save button? Pay for it.
    Pay for it. Pay for it. Pay for bloody all of it. Sickening to me. Because all this DLC doesn’t mean the main core game isn’t reduced in price.
    Oh no.
    You gotta pay full jackpot for the base game that offers like 10% of the full game’s content and THEN either pay even more for the rest or be left with an empty shell of a game.

There are numerous games on Steam (or have been on Steam) that thankfully prove just how unsuccesful this practice can be.
    Evolve had so much day-one cosmetic DLC yet so little content in the $60 main game that its playerbase has sunken from avg. 27,000 players to avg. 1,000 in less than 3 months.
    Primal Carnage: Extinction never had much of a playerbase from the start. All the developers have to offer is more paid skins.
    Destiny, Titanfall, etc.
    But none of it matters. Because enough players will have already paid for the game + some DLC to have the dying community be worth it in $$$.

A paid workshop on Steam will have its community hating Valve even more, will ruin the idea of modding for people who do it just for fun, and jeopardizes the gaming industry for players while the developers don’t even care about their product, just about the cash.

Here’s a video about today’s gaming industry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz3OSSpopzY
    I like how it’s meant comically yet is frightfully close to the truth.

@gndo:

Won’t everyone just use the nexus though?

Damn straight.

• how dare people get money for their work

• @CRUSHED:

how dare people get money for their work

If you want to receive money for your Chivalry items then good for you.
    But do you understand most members of the modding community don’t give the slightest fuck about the money?

Do you understand greedy sons of bitches who only care about $ will eventually make up for nearly all the modders?

I like how in 2001 I would buy a game CD, insert it into my computer, possibly run an installer and done, let’s play.

Now it’s 2015, I have to spend over 300% of the “main game’s” price to get the amount of content I’d actually properly be able to call “main game” and then after all that money is spent I still have to surpass a 50% gamble on whether “my particular hardware will work”.
    Then of course come all the bugs I gotta fix manually myself by editing a ton of .ini files. Then come the patches that break even more and shouldn’t even be necessary in the first place.

Shameless credit to Ori and the Blind Forest for being the only game I’ve played in a long time that’s actually enjoyable AND DLC-free. Sadly though, even that game has some bugs in need of patching.

• @Rickvs:

Shameless credit to Ori and the Blind Forest for being the only game I’ve played in a long time that’s actually enjoyable AND DLC-free. Sadly though, even that game has some bugs in need of patching.

Thanks for the recommendation, looks interesting.

• @Rickvs:

If you want to receive money for your Chivalry items then good for you.
    But do you understand most members of the modding community don’t give the slightest fuck about the money?

Do you understand greedy sons of bitches who only care about $ will eventually make up for nearly all the modders?

I like how in 2001 I would buy a game CD, insert it into my computer, possibly run an installer and done, let’s play.

Now it’s 2015, I have to spend over 300% of the “main game’s” price to get the amount of content I’d actually properly be able to call “main game” and then after all that money is spent I still have to surpass a 50% gamble on whether “my particular hardware will work”.
    Then of course come all the bugs I gotta fix manually myself by editing a ton of .ini files. Then come the patches that break even more and shouldn’t even be necessary in the first place.

Dont like it? Dont buy it, simple. There will still be free mods and im sure aton of mods will have the pay what you want method. Not to mention this will bring up much more quality mods then there are now.

I for one am looking forward to Fallout 4

• Valve knew that there would be lots of backlash, and since they’re getting 75% of each mod sale I think that they’re implementing this for a few weeks to get some easy money then remove it, making everyone happy in the end.

• @CRUSHED:

Dont like it? Dont buy it, simple. There will still be free mods and im sure aton of mods will have the pay what you want method. Not to mention this will bring up much more quality mods then there are now.

I for one am looking forward to Fallout 4

But what if you make free mod, and some capitalist scum take it and sell it? How will copyright work?
    People will be afraid to make free stuff! Isn’t sharing things crucial for modding community? I bet some mod makes will not want to share fuck all because fear of some scum use his/her free work for profit

• Creators get only 25%… kinda lame IMHO.