How can TBS…

• @Nomadicstorm:

I’m not entirely sure what you’re correcting. The “restricted dragging” or whatever it’s called isn’t due to an engine limitation, but rather a design choice, as you say. I personally don’t agree with that design choice, since I feel it makes the game feel clunky to me. I get that it restricts the 360 degree strikes and whatnot, but I see two problems with that.

One is that restricting your viewpoint movement isn’t the only, or necessarily the best, way to deal with the issue. Look at M&B, for instance, where it’s regulated by weapon speed instead. Now, M&B feels clunky to me for a whole different set of reasons - but this isn’t one of them.

The other problem is that I personally don’t necessarily think the possibility to make 360 degree strikes is a “plague”. If you want to disorient yourself in order to make a panic-move, then go ahead. Odds are it’ll just get you killed anyway. I’ve seen it work well in games before - Rune, that I mentioned earlier, is an example of that. 360 degree swings were entirely possible (and an accepted game mechanic) there, but it didn’t harm the gameplay. Here is a player-perspective video showcasing Rune combat. There are a couple of random 360 degree swings made every now and then, but it’s hardly the norm, and the random panic-swings often tend to get you killed.

What the unrestricted viewpoint does is that it allows players to adjust their direction in relation to their weapon swings, so that you always have the edge pointed at the enemy (and therefore also always have your range maximized). If you’re looking for a mechanic that supports the “easy to learn, hard to master” ideal, then that’s a great one. You can quickly become passable by roughly learning when your weapon is at its apex and managing your range with your timing, but you can keep on working forever on perfecting your direction adjustments without ever getting all the way there, but rather a little better each time.

That, and your game won’t feel like quicksand.

I get that not everyone will agree with me, and that’s fine - it is entirely legitimate to dislike the twitchy gameplay that “unrestricted dragging” generates, but I don’t. And since I dislike the quicksand-view so much, but also like the rest of Chivalry, the current state just makes me personally a little disappointed.

HA! Now I understand what you are referring too. It is not a restricted view really. What I think you are having problems with is how the game view is designed. In most FPS games, you can move your head independently from your torso or the direction in which you run. So you can run straight but look to your left, right, up or down. Chiv really doesnt work this way on purpose because of the real time swing control which most melee games do no have. Most have preprogramed strikes and really cannot control the strikes like you can in Chiv. You have to use foot work instead of actual real swing control. AOC/Chiv was the first to come up with their swing strike method and many others have copied it.

The view inst restricted cause it is tied in with the torso so that you have no neck so to speak. What is restricted is the turn speed of the torso when attacking. So not having a neck and the ability to turn your head independently of your torso is really your problem and why it feels clunky too you. I too used to feel the same way when Chiv came out. If you watch the enemy heads, the will follow you BUT that person is only looking the direction of the torso.

Sadly you didnt play AOC and see the evolution of this game. If you did then you would clearly understand why the mechanics are the way they are. The 360 attack that plagued the AOC and part of Chiv was the not just a 360 but a spinning helicopter attack that would go as fast as you could turn your mouse. You can see this if you just spin as fast as you can then imagine attacking at the same time. Yeah that would be retarded.

Most of the swing attacks already have 300 degree attack radius so learn to use the swing trace from the beginning till the end. You can see this swing trace by typing: aoc_drawtracer 1 in console and you will see your swing traces. this will allow you to get an idea of how far behind you your attack really starts and finishes. The trick it to learn to use the entire swing to your advantage. I think this new perspective will assist you in understanding the mechanics better.

• In most FPS games? Most FPS games don’t allow you to turn your head independantly from your body lol. Only two I know of are Arma and operation flashpoint.

Can’t in call of duty, battlefield, counter strike, Team fortress 2, red orchestra, insurgency…

• @lemonater47:

In most FPS games? Most FPS games don’t allow you to turn your head independantly from your body lol. Only two I know of are Arma and operation flashpoint.

Can’t in call of duty, battlefield, counter strike, Team fortress 2, red orchestra, insurgency…

Do you even read? It is not just head but to be able to look one direction while moving or doing something in another different direction. Chivalry’s can is set to the torso period and while you can move in all directions, looking and acting in another direction is greatly limited. I think he was confusing what is typical for many game and not finding the same response in Chiv. I find M&B horrific in the fight mechanics and camera views compared to chiv

• The June patch made the game a lot worse. My brother was an avid Chivalry player. He plays for 10 minutes after the patch, says “I’m done” in disgust, and hasn’t played it since.

If they had fixed it he might have started playing again, but lets face it, TBS will neeeeever ever ever fix the game that we paid for. Their apathy combined with Multiplay’s absolutely atrocious servers have driven off most of the player base, and turned the remaining players sour.

1/2 the time now I can’t find a team objective server with less than 100 ping that isn’t empty. When I do find one, the gameplay is riddled with bugs, poor framerate, severe lag spikes, and desychs. Every multiplay server I join seems to crash once or twice a day, just shutting down and disappearing from the list. I really want to play Chivalry, there is no other game like it. But apparently, TBS does not want people playing Chivalry.

• @Retsnom:

Do you even read? It is not just head but to be able to look one direction while moving or doing something in another different direction. Chivalry’s can is set to the torso period and while you can move in all directions, looking and acting in another direction is greatly limited. I think he was confusing what is typical for many game and not finding the same response in Chiv. I find M&B horrific in the fight mechanics and camera views compared to chiv

You can’t do that in any of those other games either. You are locked to your torso. You can’t look one way and act in another direction in nearly all first person shooters. Got any examples? Definitely can’t do it in the games I mentioned. Common first person shooters. M@B is horribly floating, clunky and feels like cardboard boxes hitting each other. Still locked ito your torso unless you are on a horse. But then you are essentially sitting on a moving platform.

• @quackquackquack:

1/2 the time now I can’t find a team objective server with less than 100 ping that isn’t empty.

I cant see why you wouldn’t want to play if your internet or location is that atrocious.

• @gregcau:

I cant see why you wouldn’t want to play if your internet or location is that atrocious.

That’s just the thing though, I have decently fast internet, and I live outside of DC. Even a few months ago, I’d have no trouble finding a TO server with less than 70 ping that wasn’t empty or completely full. Now though, there’s only ever 1 or 2 east coast/ central servers that have players, and they usually have no spots open. Also, some of the other non-official servers that I used to play have inexplicably high pings now. For example, on the Fight Club server I used to get less than 50 ping always. Now, I’m lucky to get less than 90.

Some fuckery is afoot. If the game had been in this state when I started playing (the day it was released) I would have kicked myself for buying a half-finished product, then asked for a refund. TBS has taken a very fun game, released a bunch of patches that turned it into a pile of crap, and now refuse to try and fix it or even roll back to a previous version. But hey, at least we have new helmets, and new maps that no-one really likes!

• True the population has dropped - so usually there is only 1 (or 2) east/central servers. But if you start a new one people (like you) will join eventually. Takes more patience - but has nothing to do with servers not being available - just population not available.

• @gregcau:

True the population has dropped - so usually there is only 1 (or 2) east/central servers. But if you start a new one people (like you) will join eventually. Takes more patience - but has nothing to do with servers not being available - just population not available.

I did this a few days ago, with an official 24-player east coast TO. It took a long time to get even a few people. An hour in, after about 10 people had joined, the server had a seizure, froze and dumped most of the players out. 3 players were left including me, and the other 2 soon quit, so I said “fuck this” and played Project Zomboid instead.

How can new servers get populated if this happens with any frequency? Jeezus, Torn Banner. Pick another server host than Multiplay, their servers used to be OK but now they are a joke.

• every now and again i’m reminded this game exists, so what do i do?

i check this shit.

and what do i find?

the same crap over and over again. it’s like you guys never learn. this game isn’t dying. it just bleeds players until it hits a consistent daily average of ~1500. it’s been this way since release and only varies before, during, and after a sale.

but it always comes back to the sweet spot because reasons.

which is weird because i swear - with some of the shit i read on here it REALLY sounds like you guys hate the game. and if you guys grow to hate the game, i can only imagine what newbies feel like.

• we r just bitter the game is like it is atm

• I’m not bitter at all tbh. Having watched SG1 1 to 10 seasons and SG atlantis and currently starting Battlestar Galactica again
    I have always said if gamers choose to play this 24/7 every week then bitterness will set in or elitism on its full bloated
    setting. My advise is to gain a Rank and head off for a Sci fi marathon of boxsets or movies. This game is always
    refreshing again on the return to the arena tbh. Due back in about 6 weeks now ttfn

• how is sg1, galactica was pretty good tbh

• @omg87:

the same crap over and over again. it’s like you guys never learn. this game isn’t dying. it just bleeds players until it hits a consistent daily average of ~1500. it’s been this way since release and only varies before, during, and after a sale.

This is why I say that the number of official servers needs to be pruned in half, at least. It is super hard to get my server populated. once it is then it is a blast to play on because i have some of the best custom maps in rotation and players love it and tell me that that is the most fun they have had in a while, except everyone wants to play on a full sever and players are fickle as shit sometimes and will leave for stupid reasons.

• @Retsnom:

This is why I say that the number of official servers needs to be pruned in half, at least. It is super hard to get my server populated. once it is then it is a blast to play on because i have some of the best custom maps in rotation and players love it and tell me that that is the most fun they have had in a while, except everyone wants to play on a full sever and players are fickle as shit sometimes and will leave for stupid reasons.

yeah, people dont give custom maps a chance because there are so many official servers

• @zombojoe:

yeah, people dont give custom maps a chance because there are so many official servers

That and it is just sad at how many people have simply quit playing chiv. Most noobs fail to get beyond level 20 just as they are learning advanced skills. Most dont even understand the strategies in playing most of the TO maps let alone get tired of playing the same maps over and over yet are not willing to learn or download some of the great custom maps. There are even veterans that hate drunken bazaar and for the life of me I cannot understand why. That map is the greatest flanking map there is yet it still has some great choke points. So many players think lineally and fail to see the beauty in three dimensionally flanking they have no skill for military thinking I guess.

Point is that the game is dying, too many empty servers and far too many archers.

• @Retsnom:

There are even veterans that hate drunken bazaar and for the life of me I cannot understand why.

The first objective up until the wooden lifts objective doesn’t add objective completion bonuses to the round length, making it evident that the attackers might as well give up when there’s still a few minutes left.

That, and compared to the old maps this one looks like Quake yet runs as smoothly as Crysis 3 on maximum settings played on a VAIO notebook would.

• its an archer fest because its full of places archers can stand above and camp, not that great tbh

• Throwing axes one hit on archers?

• @zombojoe:

its an archer fest because its full of places archers can stand above and camp, not that great tbh

That is funny cause that map, I rarely have archer problems cause there is so many ways to flank and cover, regardless of archers. Like I said if you are not flanking and going around, then you are not playing DrunkenBazaar correctly.