A Tale of Honorable Men and Spontaneous Duels

• So, I was playing on a Team Elimination server just a few minutes ago… and the most wondrous thing occurred.

We were all raging about archers and whatnot, talking the talk about chivalry, honor and such… so, I suggested that we meet in the middle of the map, form a circle and have some duels.

Surprisingly enough, everyone agreed and we decided to give it a shot. Typically when this sort of thing happens in other games, there are always a few people who try to troll or simply don’t understand… and rush in, interrupting duels and causing all sorts of mayhem.

NOT IN THE LAND OF CHIVALRY, MY FRIENDS.

Everyone participated. We paired off, dueled for at least an hour or so. Honestly, they’re probably still going even though I had to log to take a break and catch up on some work. It was fantastic, though! It was really one of the most fun times I’ve ever had spontaneously on a video game… and it leaves me with the impression that this game was MADE for dueling. I made a few friends in this brief exchange and I’m sure we’ll meet up again to try and do the same. The community was really impressive in this instance and I’ll carry that impression with me for as long as I play.

The gameplay in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare BEGS for a dueling mode. I’m sure this has been said before, but I really wanted to bring it back into the realm of discussion. I have a feeling that a 1 vs 1 game mode, or even a single-elimination tournament game mode would be greatly favored by the players in this community. Honestly, it’s just as much fun watching a duel as participating in one.

I’ve heard that there’s something like this in the works, though I’m relatively new to this community and I can’t be sure that it isn’t just hearsay but regardless, I just felt the need to impart my tale to you guys. Moments like this are what make this game a truly unique blast to play.

LET THERE BE BLOOD AND SPORT.

-[Brogaard] Beard-

• This game really does need dueling. They’ll probably implement it into the game in the future, but right now they’re working on too many other things.

• @Jake:

This game really does need dueling. They’ll probably implement it into the game in the future, but right now they’re working on too many other things.

I think it’s a worthwhile effort. I could see 1v1 being a large part of this game’s appeal… and something that would give it a unique edge over similar titles.

• @Hearst:

I think it’s a worthwhile effort. I could see 1v1 being a large part of this game’s appeal… and something that would give it a unique edge over similar titles.

I agree fully, I’m fairly certain they’ll add it eventually. I’ve been doing a lot of 1v1 dialing on LTS servers, the only problems are that the overall game doesn’t last long enough (first to 7), it should be first to 15 or something. Another problem is that when another person joins, they usually stab you in the back just to get a kill. Even if they agree on 1v1ing and waiting their turn.

• I’ve had a couple matches like this, and they are awesome indeed. 1v1 is the best way to play as far as I’m concerned. People don’t rage because they aren’t overwhelmed or stabbed in the back, so people are cool and friendly, and just have fun. I really hope they implement a duel mode soon (pretty sure I’ve heard it mentioned that this will happen). I’ve tried to get some honorable games going, but usually people aren’t having any of it.

• Indeed. I usually Taunt with C since with my Zweihander it reminds me of the Dark Souls etiquette. “Bow for Duel” sort of thing.

• It is confirmed that they’re working on implementing this into the game. I’m really looking forward to it :)

• Official duel mode is on its way.

• It would be cool if some DM duel servers popped up where people could go and duel till the duel mode is implemented, just like it was in warband before there was a official duel mode.

• Well according to your post time I’m assuming this is the same server I was on. We all stopped the team deathmatch and started doing 1v1’s only and right when it started it went as smooth as a babies bottom. I’ve been playing most of the day and I’ve seen server’s empty after the same team lost repeatedly to either team stack or just a better team. But when the dueling started the server was full for 3 maps and people only quit if they had to leave, chat turned into compliments which was a big change from the getting swarmed or shot or team wounded banter from earlier. The majority of the people who started stuck around for a good 6-7 hours in the server dueling and new people joined attacked some duelers got raped by everyone and then were told that we were dueling and most joined in.

It was great fun and good practice and someone said they were frapsing it so I would love to see the footage.

PS: One handed Warhammer’s downward swing animation is broken.

• 100% Agree!

This game begs to have a 1 v 1 duel option. Some place were two warriors can make use of the cool sword salute animation and duke it out without have to worry about getting an arrow in the anus.
    Plus it would be great to polish skills like this.

Official duel mode is on its way.

Na-ice!

Torn Banner is quickly earning my respect as a dev that aims to please and produce the best content they can. By far the most impressive dev and game in recent memory.

• @Prox:

Well according to your post time I’m assuming this is the same server I was on. We all stopped the team deathmatch and started doing 1v1’s only and right when it started it went as smooth as a babies bottom. I’ve been playing most of the day and I’ve seen server’s empty after the same team lost repeatedly to either team stack or just a better team. But when the dueling started the server was full for 3 maps and people only quit if they had to leave, chat turned into compliments which was a big change from the getting swarmed or shot or team wounded banter from earlier. The majority of the people who started stuck around for a good 6-7 hours in the server dueling and new people joined attacked some duelers got raped by everyone and then were told that we were dueling and most joined in.

It was great fun and good practice and someone said they were frapsing it so I would love to see the footage.

PS: One handed Warhammer’s downward swing animation is broken.

Yeah, that was the one. It was a blast.

Glad to see duel mode is on the way, because 1v1 is where this game really shines.

• Had this happen to me today too and I really enjoyed it. Not only was it more fun and engaging, but it really helped me to focus on gaining skill which has really helped me when playing a regular game as well. I’m really looking forward to an official implementation of this!

• @majorjazzman:

helped me to focus on gaining skill

That’s what nice about 1v1 battles. You can always improve your skill without the chance of getting stabbed in the back.