When Chivalry was first released, was it better/worse than it is now?

• More than 2 years ago, Chivalry was released on Steam. In your opinion, was it better or worse then?

• Title should say WHEN Chivalry was 1st released -facepalm-

• A million times better because you could 1vs5+ noobs and win consistently due to better stamina values, dancing, no sprint lockout, hit enemies backs without bubble, forward chase, perfect balanced longsword, ftp and cftp way better, and non-buffed archers/MaAs. The “skill increase” has nothing to do with it. Now 2 noobs can beat 1 good player pretty easily because of most of what I just mentioned. And it’s not like dancing/ect. was OP, any decent player could beat it np.

Competitive play only got better because mercs. I’d gladly take all the bugs on closed beta/release Chivalry for the better balance it had. I don’t miss the hatchet/falchion/cudgel days but I’d definitely take them over today’s Chivalry.

• Yeah I remember being able to swing up, around enemies blocks and hit their back. swings now make you feel handicapped.

• You could 1 vs 5 with the halberd.

• It was sorta better and worse at the same time.

These polls are kinda useless as well. Humans are naturally biased towards the past. Part of a survival instinct surprisingly.

• @lemonater47:

These polls are kinda useless as well. Humans are naturally biased towards the past. Part of a survival instinct surprisingly.

The same humans that make leaps of joy when they hear about new patches?

Anyways yes, this poll is useless. Seems like some sort of attention-bait because it’s hardly a mystery most people on these forums prefer the ol’ ways.

• @Rickvs:

The same humans that make leaps of joy when they hear about new patches?

Anyways yes, this poll is useless. Seems like some sort of attention-bait because it’s hardly a mystery most people on these forums prefer the ol’ ways.

Then bitches and complains about said patches after they are actually released. The present is shit. The past was better and the future looks nice. That’s how people have lived for thousands of years. People strive to make their lives better. If we didn’t think that way we’ll all still be living in caves.

• @gregcau:

You could 1 vs 5 with the halberd.

^^^ This, I so miss this….

I can barely take out a single shield whoring knight most of the time with it since the first over nerf. Then the sprint lockout ranks up there with one of the dumbest choices as well as the kneeling/stopping to initiate, regen and the bubble that I fought so hard against everyone to get it removed but at least I got it reduced and the handle hits removal in favor of the broken increase speed boost mechanic of fail? yeah no thanks on much of it.

• There were a lot of bugs, but the game/fights were way more fun.

• more stamina / less stamina penalty
    • could 1vX much easier
    • old 1st person animations
    • super short out-of-stamina stun.
    • weaker archers
    • crouch stamina regen.

Now chivalry feels like AOC Toe2Toe patch, which was terrible.

Pls tb, implement mercs as an official balance patch for chiv.

• Performance was definatly better, I had constant 120 fps even on 32 player TO. Things like handle hits (because bubble and no handle tracers), no time to react to proper executed feints were horrible. I enjoyed being able to engage in 1v5’s and come out victorious every time, now the enemies can just slash through eachother a couple of times and I’m dead. I however don’t miss superdodge, OP shields, falchion/cudgel/hatchet facehug meta, superfast alt attacks, bardouche shoe inspector master race instahit always flinch, and more. I miss treb 3 on hillside and actually being able to win as defense without being slightly stacked. I miss a time where people didn’t crutch on backswings.
    I liked the game more in November last year than I do right now, sudden 1 frame riposte animations and other wonky stuff started happening a lot after the x-mas patch got reverted.

• i miss sprinting with bow drawn and warhammer

• Its on a need to know op. You don’t need to know tbh, Another crass dev undercover account I suspect.

• Was much more fun, but that’s probably partly because it was so new and exciting. There were some bad things.

• Feints were super-op.
    • A different set of op weapons: Warhammer, falchion, cudgel, etc….remember how op the halberd was? And you could do this weird accel -> decel, virtually unblockable dane axe overhead drag that didn’t animate probably.
    • Face hugging to hit people in the back.

Everything was much smoother back then, but the current chiv is largely a result of trying to fix the above issues and more. It’d be interesting to get that old version back on a server somewhere so people could evaluate it now, years later and after thousands of hour of experience.

• I said old. However. I like the sling and flail. So keep those. Get rid of skins. Skins are cancer. Keep the new maps that people like. Fix up 1 v numbers. Fix inconsistent flinches. Fix kicks. Keeps fists. Give archers stam drain from firing weapons and reduce their footspeed while secondary weapon is drawn. Revert vanguard charge attack. Chicken wings.

• MAA dodging while comboing, fun times.

Oh, and Dane axe was super OP with weird tracers that made it very hard to parry.

• I like the old better because it had flinch on release, so we had WAY less caveman tactics.

• Come hither! :frown-new:

• @Harry:

Was much more fun, but that’s probably partly because it was so new and exciting. There were some bad things.

• Feints were super-op.
    • A different set of op weapons: Warhammer, falchion, cudgel, etc….remember how op the halberd was? And you could do this weird accel -> decel, virtually unblockable dane axe overhead drag that didn’t animate probably.
    • Face hugging to hit people in the back.

Everything was much smoother back then, but the current chiv is largely a result of trying to fix the above issues and more. It’d be interesting to get that old version back on a server somewhere so people could evaluate it now, years later and after thousands of hour of experience.

I agree, especially about the feints being OP. Aside from these issues, the game used to be a lot more stable and fun to play. Even a year ago it was in pretty good shape, but now? And yes, I too would like to be able to play an earlier version, to see the difference. Start a server running last year’s Chivalry, and see how people like it.

• My shitty laptop could run it at stable 50fps when it was released, nowadays even my proper gaming rig can’t get good fps.