Can someone explain a few things to me.

• Been playing a bit recently,especially against higher level characters and there are some attacks they use I wish could be explained,at least how to do these same attacks because christ they leave me frustrated and bewildered.

1. First are the animationless attacks. I swing,they block and without missing a beat they quickly follow up with a speed that does not seem to even match the weapon they wield. Im talking a maul or a Zweihander stabbing so so fast at times I dont even see the animation. I know of doing a riposte, but I never can get the sort of instant attack like some high level players do.

2. How does one block an incoming attack from behind, thats a new one too, run up behind someone,i swing and clang! they block.

• 1. That probably depends on FPS drops/ping, it happens to me sometimes that the enemies ripsotes got no animations and it’s slightly annoying.

2. That’s because the parry box is too large + that the weapons got a “block tracer” that reaches through the enemy before the weapon itself gets close to the enemy, that way parries sometimes work from behind.

• @Xylvion:

1. That probably depends on FPS drops/ping, it happens to me sometimes that the enemies ripsotes got no animations and it’s slightly annoying.

2. That’s because the parry box is too large + that the weapons got a “block tracer” that reaches through the enemy before the weapon itself gets close to the enemy, that way parries sometimes work from behind.

How does one counter it? I mean from what I have seen the community is vicious when it comes to kicking anyone with a ping of 100 and above, so how is it their riposte are almost instant? I play at an average of 45-78 ping and it does not seem like its a FPS issue.

3. Another issue i have is people who crouch and are damn well bloody impossible to hit. They always seems to favor fast weapons and when they get swinging it becomes too much to defend against.

• For the first issue play the game with your ears. After the clang of the parry you have minimum 0.6 seconds to do something against those weapons. Your reaction time is 0.2-0.25 seconds. Not to mention you generally expect what’s going to happen and can act faster than your reaction time.

With the zwei and maul its somethings a gamble as to whether or not they will delay or accelerate. Hell with those weapons they can do really nasty things such as make it look like they are doing an accelerated riposte, look away at the last possible moment then drag the weapon back into you after your parry is gone.

• Hey OP, if you get the zwei and riposte the stab at close range aiming at your opponent’s belly, it is going to hit him REALLY fucking fast because when the weapon leaves the windup, the weapon model will be inside your enemy and the tracers will hit as soon as they start being drawn.

The trick to make this kind of thing more readable is to backpedal. One must backpedal a lot, and strafe to. Improving your footwork skills will improve your parrying skills (and even your drags) a lot in this game.

• @Oilystool:

How does one counter it? I mean from what I have seen the community is vicious when it comes to kicking anyone with a ping of 100 and above, so how is it their riposte are almost instant? I play at an average of 45-78 ping and it does not seem like its a FPS issue.

3. Another issue i have is people who crouch and are damn well bloody impossible to hit. They always seems to favor fast weapons and when they get swinging it becomes too much to defend against.

I get random fps drops from 120->30 on Duelyard and other custom maps, sometimes I get huge drops on other maps as well and I have no clue as to why it happens. Other than that when my ping is above 70 things get a bit wonky and people start hitting way too early, especially if their ping is below 30 or above 70. For me it’s been happening a lot more since the optimization patch, sadly I don’t think there’s a way to counter the 5 frame animations.

3. Crouching gives you a little more time to parry. Some weapons such as zwei are crucial to lean back and crouch against if it’s an overhead, otherwise chances are that you will get hit as soon as release starts by the handle. Either way people who crouch move slower so it’s easy to get into facehug range and feint them, although getting too close can be bad for you as you get less time to react to the faster weapons.

• Butt parries are the biggest bullshit ever.

• @Xylvion:

3. Crouching gives you a little more time to parry. Some weapons such as zwei are crucial to lean back and crouch against if it’s an overhead, otherwise chances are that you will get hit as soon as release starts by the handle. Either way people who crouch move slower so it’s easy to get into facehug range and feint them, although getting too close can be bad for you as you get less time to react to the faster weapons.

When I’m with zwei and people crouch to defend, I delay the overhead going a bit around them. If they crouch, they are most likely expecting something fast, its not a rule of course, but its fucking effective in my experience.

• Thanks for all the advice,ill try it next time i play.

• @KingWillie:

Butt parries are the biggest bullshit ever.

I think both them and look up crouch 360 forcefield ones are ridicolous. Ever since they changed the parrybox you barely even have to look in the right direction to parry.