Any Flail rework maybe? :(

• I know that nobody cares about flails anymore but myself, but they’re still bugged (shield bash misses like 80% of the time, slashes sometimes go through enemies and the reach of that thing is waaay too short for that long recovery time), bad to use and just…well…underpowered imo.

You can have some funny moments but most of the time, they’re just not a viable option, which is a shame. Age of Chivalry’s flails rocked.

So are there any plans to maybe take a look at them? :)

What would YOU do to make flails viable? Discuss here!

• I think flails need a better stab, maybe make the range a little longer. Not quite sure what else to change regarding damage, range, and speed.

They need to hurry up and buff them so I can dominate with my rat flail.

• Better range, both flails get faster wind ups, no weird “recovery on successful block” that also seems to happen to quarterstaff, and more reliable blocking and damage tracers. Their stats are pretty solid outside the slow wind ups, their double overhead combo is insanely fast with good damage values. They have really cool animations, but they just don’t feel reliable enough.

I use the normal flail a lot, and I used the heavy flail before the flail changes. I can’t stand the heavy flail now because of its terrible range, wind ups, tracers and shield being unreliable. I honestly think heavy flail is harder than fists, heavy flail is the hardest/worst weapon in the game.

• I think the flail, light one, is absolutely okay. Its got a nice speed to it, and I do very very well with it. The only thing i hate about the flails is the mentioned “phasing” through people at close range. Why doesn’t it have a handle hit tracer? The flail is sooooo short!

Something to start with balancing the flail, is to remove the jittery nature of it. The thing zigzags in release when it should just be a straight line. Due to the jitter, the damn thing catches on everything and makes it easy to parry.

• I posted some balance changes earlier that would make them somewhat viable, also the handle tracer is ridicolous.

• Mod

Biggest issue for me is the handle tracers. Not being able to hit someone when I’m toe to toe with one of the shortest weapons is just stupid. Needs looking into.

• I will repost this video on every flail thread until it’s fixed.
    The flail with some reworkings could be a completely acceptable weapon with it’s own distinct niche of fast combo timings and hard hits (like a quarterstaff for knights). However the balance of the flail cannot be measured currently due to two major problems: the tracers are physics based (only tracers in the game that are using this system). If you play in single player you’ll see the tracers behave normally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Oz53KNFxU

However, when you play the multiplayer game, the tracers wind up looking like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5pufQlg6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2EN4bwXgvE
    Randomly deviating tracers ruin any consistency in swings. sometimes you’ll be in reach, other times you’ll miss completely from the exact same range. You have no control over how the tracer behaves from swing to swing.

Finally, there are no handle tracers on the flail which allows the following to happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6of3n-tuC8
    Do note that at 0:54 seconds in that video, I go into third person and look down at the tracers. Look at the arc in that tracer, it bends inwards making an M shape. Imagine I’m trying to hit someone in front of me, and it just randomly bent inwards where they are and missed my target.

I made all these videos because I love the flail as a weapon. When first introduced to Chiv, it had fast stabs that did 5 damage, and moderate wind up with moderate damage. TBS buffed the stab attack to deal 35 blunt, while maintaining its explosive speed, which was great for the weapon. Somewhere along the line, they experimented with new tracers, completely breaking them, and then the handle hits nerf across all weapons that don’t effect swords as greatly as it did other weapons, went under the radar for the flail until players noticed the consistent missed attacks in facehug range. Now we have a weapon whose reach is unreliable, attacks ghost in facehug range, and tracers that randomly deviate from the animation path (leads to outright misses of well performed attacks).

• Thanks for the info on Flail Gauntlet, that’s pretty sad to see at the end it takes 3 attacks to land the same exact strike. Good to know it isn’t just me sucking with flail after all.

• Heavy Flail has a good timing imo, fast as hell stab that fucks with hit traders when you are at close range, you can drag the overhead (especially the alternated) and the slash is gud for b0ckswings

Big problem is range

• I want the flail shield-punch, but with other weapons. Can we have that please? And yeah, what Gauntlet said about the flail itself, but mostly I just want to punch people with a shield and not use the flail.

• I find flails to be useful if you want to select a Heater Shield and use it with one of the secondary weapons. That’s about it for now. Especially after watching Gauntlet’s video.

• Mod

@Gauntlet:

I will repost this video on every flail thread until it’s fixed.
    The flail with some reworkings could be a completely acceptable weapon with it’s own distinct niche of fast combo timings and hard hits (like a quarterstaff for knights). However the balance of the flail cannot be measured currently due to two major problems: the tracers are physics based (only tracers in the game that are using this system). If you play in single player you’ll see the tracers behave normally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Oz53KNFxU

However, when you play the multiplayer game, the tracers wind up looking like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5pufQlg6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2EN4bwXgvE
    Randomly deviating tracers ruin any consistency in swings. sometimes you’ll be in reach, other times you’ll miss completely from the exact same range. You have no control over how the tracer behaves from swing to swing.

Finally, there are no handle tracers on the flail which allows the following to happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6of3n-tuC8
    Do note that at 0:54 seconds in that video, I go into third person and look down at the tracers. Look at the arc in that tracer, it bends inwards making an M shape. Imagine I’m trying to hit someone in front of me, and it just randomly bent inwards where they are and missed my target.

I made all these videos because I love the flail as a weapon. When first introduced to Chiv, it had fast stabs that did 5 damage, and moderate wind up with moderate damage. TBS buffed the stab attack to deal 35 blunt, while maintaining its explosive speed, which was great for the weapon. Somewhere along the line, they experimented with new tracers, completely breaking them, and then the handle hits nerf across all weapons that don’t effect swords as greatly as it did other weapons, went under the radar for the flail until players noticed the consistent missed attacks in facehug range. Now we have a weapon whose reach is unreliable, attacks ghost in facehug range, and tracers that randomly deviate from the animation path (leads to outright misses of well performed attacks).

Good to see these videos in action. I’ve always felt this is the case since the handle hit tracers. Now I know it’s a fact and not just me missing. I’ve spent weeks using the flail and I find it far worse than it ever used to be. The fact that the weapon has the reach of an armless baby and can’t even hit in facehug range is just absurd. This NEEDS fixing. Enough skins, let’s fix some broken mechanics.

• @Tyoson:

Good to see these videos in action. I’ve always felt this is the case since the handle hit tracers. Now I know it’s a fact and not just me missing. I’ve spent weeks using the flail and I find it far worse than it ever used to be. The fact that the weapon has the reach of an armless baby and can’t even hit in facehug range is just absurd. This NEEDS fixing. Enough skins, let’s fix some broken mechanics.

Good to see someone posts actual videos of broken mechanics as opposed to just yelling its broke! Fix it! +1 to fixing the flail,its a cool weapons but works so horrendously there is no point using it unless you are playing drunk and don’t give a toss.

@Tyoson:

This NEEDS fixing. Enough skins, let’s fix some broken mechanics.

Skins don’t take away from the sort of resources you need to fix this issue. This is a programming/design issue and that is not related to what it takes to implement the skins for the most part. Maybe the part where its added to the store is coded,but for the rest I imagine its an artist,or someone knowledgeable in UDK to implement these. Skins are an aesthetic change,nor a programming change.

• Just keep dreaming, TBS will never fix flail.

• adding skins in chivalry is a matter of adding a few lines of text

its so easy even i can do it

• @zombojoe:

adding skins in chivalry is a matter of adding a few lines of text

Yeah, but you gotta get through all that “taking money for other people’s work” shit which is a big drain on the ole’ energy bar.

• @zombojoe:

adding skins in chivalry is a matter of adding a few lines of text

Balancing weapon values is even earier, you just replace one integer/float with another.

• I say remove the current flails and make two new weapons from scratch. They have been unsatisfying for almost 2 years and half.
    So why not call patch 40 the Flail Patch or something like that and bring two new actual weapons to the game…? Not just dead hedgehogs attached to pieces of wood (what they are currently). No absurd ‘recovery’ or funny timings, maybe? All the Chiv armory should be decent in some way

• @Xylvion:

Balancing weapon values is even earier, you just replace one integer/float with another.

yeah you dont even have to boot up the game once to check if the animations work fine with the new values!

• @zombojoe:

yeah you dont even have to boot up the game once to check if the animations work fine with the new values!

I actually tried it with really high values once, like 1 second windup and 2 second release, it looked slo-mo. I also tried them with lower values such as 0.1 and 0.1 same thing then, no difference really, except for the speed.