Question about high-level play.

• Howdy all. Having a very hard time becoming competent enough at this game for it to be enjoyable.

I can win 50/50 against a guy that’s attacking, parrying, blocking, etc. in a way that looks normal. However, there is some sort of fighting style that all the rank 40+ guys seem to be using that I just get wasted by. It looks like someone is having a seizure while attempting to play limbo, just crouching and looking at the ground and the sky and spinning around. It looks completely absurd. Their attacks SEEM (I know this probably isn’t the case) to be unblockable.

Is this how you have to play to have a high level of skill at this game? If I don’t want to look like a retard, can I ever compete against these guys? What exactly is going on here and how do you counter it?

• Thanks!

• Spend about 300+ hours in a classic duel sever with good players, ask questions there as you play and they’ll give you better advice. Expect hundreds of hours before you start truly understanding what you’re doing wrong and how to improve.

The best advice to give you is to only parry right before you take damage. Keep the enemy on the defensive. Manage your stamina wisely. And play on at least 120 FoV.

• First of all, I wanna say kudos for actually ASKING instead of just assuming the game is broken or something stupid like alot of people in your situation would.

They are doing what is referred to as dragging. It is, in essence, manipulating the time at which your strike impacts your target. In its most basic form, you can accelerate a strike by moving your mouse in the direction of the strike, or delay it by moving it away from the strike. So, for example, if you look down and do an overhand, the strike will be faster than normal, and if you look up and do an overhand, it’ll be slower than normal.

Feel free to add me on Steam if you want an actual in-game demonstration and such. I’m always happy to help out a new player. My Steam ID is the same as my one here.

• @Beltaime427:

etc etc

Don’t try to emulate or become one of those weak players relying on such supported crutch gaming.
    Some knights have used fov 90 since game release, no tricks of combat or gimmicky glichey toon breaking
    moves, while only playing knight ever since release. Apart from players such as my self , those mentioned
    are in fact weak people who detest the idea of a level playing field within the parameters of not game
    breaking or animation destroying with some stupidly high fov aided by edited ini files to boot.

Although I don’t train squires you will find your way by playing normally. I am just 4 ranks away from my rank 50
    as knight only from day of release.

• Wow guys, thanks for the quick and informative responses. I checked out videos from Moe Pork and a couple of tutorials on dragging, etc. I had already been using a straight side-to-side form of it in a clumsy way.

@ToLazy4Name

I will most likely take you up on your offer, maybe tonight. Thanks!

• One of the best ways to avoid those attacks is to stay out of range then punish them when the pull that bullshit. The only time I really ever get caught by them is when I am backed up against something and cannot move. Then it is just a matter of being bubble stuck and not able to move. If you can do a jump backwards and parry, this increases your distance and timing of the parry, also look down when you parry as the swing typically comes from below. Remember to punish them with and over head when they miss as they are very vulnerable.

• @Beltaime427:

Their attacks SEEM (I know this probably isn’t the case) to be unblockable.

Is this how you have to play to have a high level of skill at this game? If I don’t want to look like a retard, can I ever compete against these guys? What exactly is going on here and how do you counter it?

Again, kudos for asking about this playstyle and how to counter it. There has been some good advice so far which is mainly to work on fundamentals like timing parries, managing stamina, practicing dragging, keeping correct range, etc. Focusing on these will grant you the most gains.

As for your other questions: the attacks you are seeing aren’t unblockable, and you can parry the attacks all day without looking like a retard. But when it comes to attacking them back, you’ll find that people have pushed game mechanics to the extremes and you may need to use some wonky techniques or else you’ll never get a hit on the good players.

Some of the things you may be seeing are reverse overheads where they turn 180 degrees look up and do an overhead attack, which is a very fast attack. Another could be a stab drag where they’ll stab to your side and drag it in around your parry. When crouching and looking at the ground, that will be the fastest non-reverse overhead you can do, so that’s why you’re seeing that.

Even past this are the minor combat enhancements like animation hiding. A couple examples of this would acceleration of a polearm riposte. Since you are turning with the animation, it is hard to tell whether an attack is happening or they are merely turning toward their left. Another example would starting a two-handed sword stab while turned slightly to your right. In this way, your body hides some of your sword making it harder for your opponent to see your actions.

Practice, practice, practice. Also the 120+ FoV suggestion lets you see more of the opponent’s body, giving you more information and better chances of correctly responding to them.

• Set your fov to 140 and parry all day

• It depends what your standards are as far as what you think looks retarded and what doesn’t. Some dragging is necessary to play at a high level but spinning and doing reverse overheads is not. That play-style is also a lot less effective in team objective as opposed to duels, because parrying multiple opponents and target switching is so important.

And yeah the attacks are blockable as long as your ping is good and you’re getting around 60fps or more, they just take practice.

• spinning in team fights is an essential skill, just look at any of the top messer knights play

• Hey all -

Tried to post yesterday, don’t know if perhaps there is some moderator delay while they check the posts of new members. If so this one will probably get removed as a duplicate.

Anyway, thank you all for the information and advice. I’ve been educating myself further.

ToLazy4Name, I will probably take you up on your offer this weekend.

• Howdy all. Addendum to previous post.

I would really like to get better at this game but I’m just not. I’m already rank 20 (been putting in a lot of time). I’ve watched the videos, tried to emulate the moves. Watched the bots for hours but still couldn’t get the timing down to interrupt their attacks.

When I watch the videos it seems so easy, they’re just running around killing people. But in an actual fight all of my attacks get parried, the guy runs around me staring at the ground and stabbing me in the feet and I can’t parry any of it.

I’m not complaining, just admitting that I have no natural talent at this game and in fact I am starting to think that I am abnormally bad at it.

If there is anyone who would like to mentor me, or someone else who is struggling with the game and wants to practice dueling against a similarly terrible opponent, add me on steam. I have a mic.

I play sporadically throughout the day, sometimes more, sometimes just a couple of thirty minute sessions. After about 8:30 PM EST I can devote my full attention to the game.

I am a 31 year old male.

Steam ID: postwins42

• @Beltaime427:

Howdy all. Addendum to previous post.

I would really like to get better at this game but I’m just not. I’m already rank 20 (been putting in a lot of time). I’ve watched the videos, tried to emulate the moves. Watched the bots for hours but still couldn’t get the timing down to interrupt their attacks.

When I watch the videos it seems so easy, they’re just running around killing people. But in an actual fight all of my attacks get parried, the guy runs around me staring at the ground and stabbing me in the feet and I can’t parry any of it.

I’m not complaining, just admitting that I have no natural talent at this game and in fact I am starting to think that I am abnormally bad at it.

If there is anyone who would like to mentor me, or someone else who is struggling with the game and wants to practice dueling against a similarly terrible opponent, add me on steam. I have a mic.

I play sporadically throughout the day, sometimes more, sometimes just a couple of thirty minute sessions. After about 8:30 PM EST I can devote my full attention to the game.

I am a 31 year old male.

Steam ID: postwins42

Friend me up on Steam,
    |ĶأĻă| Ʀε†snøm
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197980089505/
    http://twitch.tv/sirretsnom
    Server: |Kila|THUNDERDOME Custom/Mix-Chicago

I can school you up pretty quick

• @ToLazy4Name:

Feel free to add me on Steam if you want an actual in-game demonstration and such. I’m always happy to help out a new player. My Steam ID is the same as my one here.

I’d like you to teach me if at all possible, see where i fuck up. I sometimes seem to be able to do it, sometimes I don’t higher level players do it better. Having a thousand hours helps, I reckon :P

• Again, hit me with a request and i’ll accept.

• Doesn’t sound too abnormal, it’s very rare for a rank 20 to be good at dragging and blocking drags. Keep in mind people over rank 40 often have 500+ hours in game and people over rank 50 often have over 1000. Just fighting the people who always kill you while focusing on what mistakes you made that allowed them to win will get you better.

• This post is deleted!

• @Mobintime:

Doesn’t sound too abnormal, it’s very rare for a rank 20 to be good at dragging and blocking drags. Keep in mind people over rank 40 often have 500+ hours in game and people over rank 50 often have over 1000. Just fighting the people who always kill you while focusing on what mistakes you made that allowed them to win will get you better.

^This.

It can be frustrating at times to try and see what you’re doing wrong, but once you figure it out you’ll get it right every time. It’s a difficult process, but if you really enjoy the game then it’s worth the challenge.

Also, one thing no ones mentioned yet is if you’re up against someone relying on backswings and reverse overheads etc, the best thing you can do is simply keep your distance, force them to miss, then punish them when they’re out of stamina. Chiv is as much about that little yellow bar as it is the red one.