Just picked the game up on summer sale, here's my initial thoughts

• I really like the combat in general I think there’s a good amount of potential, which is really the only reason I’m bothering to make this post. I really like the fact that actually being good at the game seems to scale your success even against multiple opponents. I tried out deadliest warrior as well, though its kinda silly, and it doesnt suit me very well. Personally I think the game shines in particular on duel servers.

All that said I think much of the potential is wasted with silly maps and settings, the unreal engine is a great engine, but it very much feels like unreal with swords. More structured team fights, with a fixed distribution of each class, on an open field with horses, would be amazing with a combat system like this.

While the combat system has a lot of potential, it also seems very incomplete. A shield on your back protects against arrows, but does nothing against a sword hit for example. While there’s certainly a lot of legitimate skill and experience involved in being good at the game (I certainly am not), a significant part of it just seems to involve knowing how to glitch out the collision mechanics: https://youtu.be/3ebaVAPUP_w?t=88

Lastly, a note from my own personal experience over the last couple days I’ve been playing. The first day I got to rank 8, the next day I was rank 2… ???. Worked my way back up to 14 and had unlocked all but one of the weapons on the knight, and then the game decides I had not unlocked any 3rd versions of the main weapons. So I went looking for a fix, and found I could just modify a local file and unlock everything, which I did gladly, screw grinding. And as far as I can tell, the stats shown in the dueling servers is created via a random number generator, how can the game be out for 3 years, go through an expansion, and have such basic features completely broken?

All in all it’s another game who’s idea and potential drew me in, but ultimately seems fall short of what it could be.

• @Zisi:

blah blah blah more noob whining……

No one cares what you think. The game has been out for almost 3 years, you are commenting on a game with less than 100 hours in. Everything you mentioned is either your lack of knowledge, been beaten to death and explained over those years. This game is highly skill based with a very high learning curve that takes time in the scale of months to get gud let alone fully understand the mechanics. There are occasional glitches in the game when it comes to early ranks and unlocks. It happens but it will usually correct itself even if you unlock through an INI edit.

Sadly you are not qualified to really comment as you have no understanding of the concept of balance, the history of the game or enough hours of experience.

So thanks for playing, uninstall and move on noob.

• Welcome to the forums, noob!!! ;p

For someone whose played the game for only a short while, you have a pretty good understanding of where things sit as of now. Let’s just say, a long time ago, TB dropped the clay pot of Chivalry and had spent 2 years trying to superglue it all back together They finally gave up and now they’re moulding a new pot, out of better clay. Hopefully they put some handles on this time and don’t break it again .

• I see the welcome commitee is already here….

• Welcome to the game.

• @Retsnom:

No one cares what you think. The game has been out for almost 3 years, you are commenting on a game with less than 100 hours in. Everything you mentioned is either your lack of knowledge, been beaten to death and explained over those years. This game is highly skill based with a very high learning curve that takes time in the scale of months to get gud let alone fully understand the mechanics. There are occasional glitches in the game when it comes to early ranks and unlocks. It happens but it will usually correct itself even if you unlock through an INI edit.

Sadly you are not qualified to really comment as you have no understanding of the concept of balance, the history of the game or enough hours of experience.

So thanks for playing, uninstall and move on noob.

Lol why so rude man?

He is rude but he is also right mate, those spins and shit are indeed bullshit, but it is how you make better use of the swing manipulations. There are many other maneuvers as unrealistic as spins, like decelerated attacks, but they only add layers of complexity to the gameplay, make the skill ceiling high. Even spins not being realistic and obviously bullshit, its fun and you can get used to it and parry all that shit every day no problemo and win fights even if your opponent spam this shit.

The shield thing is the same, its a b0lonce question. If you could parry with your ass without problems, shields would be OP beyond belief man. This game favors fun and b0lonce over realism.

Also think about it: no other game to this day have presented such a good (complexity + fun) first person melee mechanic. Its an idea that could be applied to many other games, revolutionary tier shit imo. I never even cared about fighting games until I met this game, its a whole new level of game design imo.

• I am also amazed at how they have yet to fix the duel stats, they did work for a while, did they not?

• @Vanguard:

Lol why so rude man?

Sorry I have been spending way too much time on the Chiv Steam forums reading/responding to all the noobs and their stupid and ignorant rants hating on something they are so clueless about.

On the steam forums some noob douche wanted to know how to vote kick. I told him that it is currently being abused by ignorant noobs and sure enough a few posts later he wants of vote kick players with DLC…… Thinking they have better weapons and armor not realizing they are just cosmetic… FN NOOBS

• @Retsnom:

Sorry I have been spending way too much time on the Chiv Steam forums reading/responding to all the noobs and their stupid and ignorant rants hating on something they are so clueless about.

On the steam forums some noob douche wanted to know how to vote kick. I told him that it is currently being abused by ignorant noobs and sure enough a few posts later he wants of vote kick players with DLC…… Thinking they have better weapons and armor not realizing they are just cosmetic… FN NOOBS

AHAHHAH I understand your anger mate, its indeed sad sometimes. For instance I can’t play on brasillian servers at the moment because they are all full (literally) with noobs slashing like there is no tomorrow, have to play with americans with 130, 150 ping… At least they use mercs mod, so even with lag its gud

Avoid steam forums man, such a troll infested place! Its never gud to be mad

• I’m reasonably certain that the OP is a-smurfing. Ya’ll got troled

• Yesterday I coined a new term to describe all the noobs who recently started. “Steam sale team” Which is a team composed mostly of noobs. Bit I can’t complain, all the new blood had made things fun again,sure there are still,rainbow spinning ballerinas but the variance of quality means you can do well and have some cracking matches. I ran behind two archers awhile back ,totally unaware of me and with a swing of my scimitar messer,earned my double decapitation achievement . It was a thing of beauty.

• @Retsnom:

That dude meant votekicking on Deadliest Warrior as it’s done in a different way there, but as usual you don’t read what other people post, kek.

• This ain’t Mario Bros, soldier. Takes awhile to become more than a meat shield. Put in the hours and you’ll get better.
    Learn to accelerate and drag weapon swings, run away and heal when you need to, and die like a hero.

• @Xylvion:

That dude meant votekicking on Deadliest Warrior as it’s done in a different way there, but as usual you don’t read what other people post, kek.

LOLS, there was no mention of Deadliest Warrior in his original post and not confirmed till pages later…… It was all timing actually if you read my posts VS the time I posted here, then it was stated Deadliest Warrior. Still is vote kicking players for DLC legit?

• Get 1,000 hours of playtime hten maybe someone will give a shit about what you think.

For me personally the staggering majority of you fucking steam salers can go jump off a bridge and nobody with an IQ higher than room temperature should shed a tear. Filling up every server with cancerous slashspammers & teamkillers. It’s like when this game released all over again. Best part is the classic duel servers being bombarded with you fucks. Just put your 15 minutes in and quit already, good riddance move onto the next sale.

Hopefully 1% of you is intelligent enough to get good at this game and stay. That’s all I care about.

• @DahDakilven:

Get 1,000 hours of playtime hten maybe someone will give a shit about what you think.

For me personally the staggering majority of you fucking steam salers can go jump off a bridge and nobody with an IQ higher than room temperature should shed a tear. Filling up every server with cancerous slashspammers & teamkillers. It’s like when this game released all over again. Best part is the classic duel servers being bombarded with you fucks. Just put your 15 minutes in and quit already, good riddance move onto the next sale.

Hopefully 1% of you is intelligent enough to get good at this game and stay. That’s all I care about.

You should play red orchestra 2 in a steam sale. The last sale for that game I killed half my team with an MG42 for being utterly useless. Might’ve been slightly logged in as admin so I didn’t get autokicked.

• @DahDakilven:

Get 1,000 hours of playtime hten maybe someone will give a shit about what you think.

Utter rubbish tbh. I prefer the new players with spam then the old guard with its agenda of exploited moves,
    animation breaking , plus intentional warping. Let alone the slight hacked ini files, plus scripted fovs with
    macro combat sequence of moves binded, plus 140 to 300 fov dancing to boot.
    Lets try to be kind to the new plebbypeonpeasants of the sales as they bring in cash
    plus maintain a healthy player base atm. Its been at a steady 6,000 per day for weeks now. Best you simply
    acknowledge the opinion and give a friendly shrug with head nod to the new players. Eye rolls are allowed out
    of sight also tbh.

• Mod

I agree with Loin. If you can’t move out of the way of low ranks swings, maybe you better learn to adapt to your environment tbh. Quit complaining and see each team hit as a challenge. You should always strive to better yourself. Which is what half you chivalry players don’t do because all you do is exploit broken mechanics, use dodgey ini settings, use the ages 3 and up weapons and then complain because you go for easy kills and get lmb’d by someone who’s just started playing. How about teaching them instead of just instakicking and abusing them. Tbh, if anyone should be quitting it’s you crass negative nancies.

• @Tyoson:

I agree with Loin. If you can’t move out of the way of low ranks swings, maybe you better learn to adapt to your environment tbh. Quit complaining and see each team hit as a challenge. You should always strive to better yourself. Which is what half you chivalry players don’t do because all you do is exploit broken mechanics, use dodgey ini settings, use the ages 3 and up weapons and then complain because you go for easy kills and get lmb’d by someone who’s just started playing. How about teaching them instead of just instakicking and abusing them. Tbh, if anyone should be quitting it’s you crass negative nancies.

PLease expose those dodgey INI settings, inquiring minds want to know…. The only one that I know of is the archer load/zoom/fov40/and back out after firing. I have no problem with macros as that has more to do with programing hardware like mouse and gaming pads. FOV settings beyond 120 is retarded and fugly but not totally an exploit. What broken mechanic is being exploited and how on earth is there intentional warping unless you purposely join high ping servers?

See that is the problem with making blanket statements as facts without any evidence, you are just not believable. You sound more like the ignorant crying noob that doesn’t understand a riposte and how you hit him so fast after a parry… HACKER!

• Were is the op anyway, he has us all fighting each other hehe. Op come out and explain yourself. Even today I noted
    some of the usual extreme ploiters 33 to 1 frag on ffa’s official server 2. They tend to avoid me but the point is even
    reported ones direct to TB or admins are left alone it seems. If experienced players witness such plebs I suggest try
    a vote kick. Or suffer the entire server who doesn’t like it , puts up with it, even though they complain
    in chat. I always vocally call them out on server (by text) so that is why they leave me. Lets not forget I see quite
    a lot of very good players who can kdr by 20 to 1, who one would even call fighting as fair as possible.