Game Crashing on startup all of a sudden.

• So I go to start chivalry today and it doesn’t want to launch. The splash screen will appear and after about 20 or so seconds it’ll say “CMW.exe has stopped working lols fuck you”. For no good reason.

Looking through the launch log it runs into a Critical and fatal error!

“Address = 0x3ff16dad (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win64\CMW.exe]”

Says that about 18 billion times with a different hex code thing at the start each time.

Now it is there. Launching it from the exe gives the same issue. Launching the 32 bit version gives the same issue just with win32 in the address instead.

https://www.mediafire.com/?tfbyzm9noewxrw3 The Launch log and the dmp file are here.

• I had that a while back, I tried reinstalling twice, it still didn’t work. Then I reinstalled it on another partition and it worked like a charm, really weird though.

• Well I turned my computer on today and it wanted to run a chkdsk.

So it might be my hard drive lol.

• note I said drives need to be defrag checked a while ago. I noted 3% upwards on very frequent Chivalry gaming, did
    you not dismiss this. One of the best backups is to simply upload the mygames folder with its chivalry folder into a
    draft email or mydrive etc cloud. Its one of many backups I keep off my computers so when purchasing new
    drives or building pc’s I can reinstall steam and Chivalry fast, then repaste my games folder back on that
    system, always fires up first time nicely, with my rank and stuff perfectly intact.

• Well unlike you I don’t have money to spend on a bunch of things like more drives.

Why is chivalry the only thing affect by this. By whatever affected my hard drive in the first place. Reinstalling the game doesn’t work.

• A trick I employed before to get over a rogue bad spot on a drive that simply clicked or crashed on a certain program
    was to firstly rename the old folder say zsteam then copy paste it into a completely different location on drive.
    Remember to leave the old zfolder in place it covers up the spot/bad sector eg. Or after copying create a vhdx drive
    I think its called in windows. Then initialise it in disk management , give it a drive letter the paste the old steam folder
    into that. Add shortcut most likely no bad sectors in that vhdx drive

• Found out why it may be behaving like this.

My friend sometimes uses my computer to run 3ds Max. As his computer is too crap to do so. He somehow managed to open both 3ds Max 2014 and 3ds max 2015 at the same time. The computer was having none of that and froze on both. He could quit them. Even going to processes and ending the process didn’t work. First time I’ve heard of it not working. His next solution was to try and start other programs such as Gimp. That’ll work. They didn’t even come close to launching. So he restarted the computer. Only it hung on the logging off screen for “absolutely ages” (I bet about 5 minutes). So he held the button down to turn it off. Starts it up again no problem and carries on. I come along to use it and chivalry won’t boot. Hasnt been shutdown between me and him using it.

• By the way Loin your fix worked. Except I didn’t rename the entire steam folder that would be silly its 700GB. Renamed the chivarly folder, Verified the game which redownloaded everything all the while keeping the stuff in my documents intact. Game works fine now. Issue with my hard drive.

• @lemonater47:

By the way Loin your fix worked. Except I didn’t rename the entire steam folder that would be silly its 700GB. Renamed the chivarly folder, Verified the game which redownloaded everything all the while keeping the stuff in my documents intact. Game works fine now. Issue with my hard drive.

what do you rename and what do you do

• It was a while ago, I think it was simply to rename your old Steam folder to Zsteam or oldsteam.
    make a new Steam folder and copy your stuff in to that from the zsteam or oldsteam folder.
    sometimes constant use on a certain drive sector can reduce is effectiveness, this way you
    simply move the area to a hopefully unused area of the hard drive. good for another year at least.

Number Two is to buy a 1TB my passport drive , I have found simply renaming that drive steam
    while placing my steam folder on to that is fantastic as it lets me simply plug my steam folder
    into any pc I am on. Also it runs faster then any usb stick as the system treats it as another drive.
    Bear in my it was certified to run Wintogo for windows 8.