Since when is it common practice to kick HPBs?

• I am regularly being vote-kicked from public FFA servers for having a 200ms ping.

Maybe you all don’t have any sympathy because you didn’t grow up gaming back when everyone used dial-up modems but, even today, some of us don’t live in Europe, America, or Asia – and we have little choice but to play on overseas servers that are a minimum of 200ms away.

If you’re angry that you missed a swing because I lagged, how do you think I feel having to account for a 200-300ms timing variance for every single action?

Grow up, newbies.

• It’s common practice in many games, but especially in Chivalry. The game is particularly sensitive to ping and HPB’s are dreadful to play with.

I live in Asia. When there are games I can’t play because there aren’t servers near me (and it’s happened with many games) I just suck it up. Not going to ruin other people’s experience out of some sense of entitlement. I always try and scope out the situation before purchasing a game though.

• Where do you live?

• @spectre:

I am regularly being vote-kicked from public FFA servers for having a 200ms ping.

Maybe you all don’t have any sympathy because you didn’t grow up gaming back when everyone used dial-up modems but, even today, some of us don’t live in Europe, America, or Asia – and we have little choice but to play on overseas servers that are a minimum of 200ms away.

If you’re angry that you missed a swing because I lagged, how do you think I feel having to account for a 200-300ms timing variance for every single action?

Grow up, newbies.

As someone who grew up in BFE and played online shooters with a 280 ping for years while other gamers’ pings steadily decreased as DSL and cable connections became widespread, I can definitely empathize with your situation. However, at present it is common practice to kick people with a ping over 150 or so. If you are on the receiving end of unblockable attacks by someone with a high ping, it can be very frustrating.

On the flipside, like Dudeface I also live in Asia and regularly see servers fill up with Russians with 300ms pings and nobody kicks them so — much to my annoyance.

Another option is to open your own dedicated server. If your computer and connection are good, you could host a small (4 to 8 players) server with people in your region.

• I’d kick anyone 100+ ping if people actually voted yes, even my self when I have to play 100 ping servers. But 200 is absolutely unacceptable. It’s not fun for me. It’s not fun for you. Go play somewhere or something else.

• Hey wait weren’t you laggin’ up our server the other day with your girlfriend.

• @spectre:

I am regularly being vote-kicked from public FFA servers for having a 200ms ping.

Grow up, newbies.

UM no… Sorry you live in a shitty location with shitty internet but that is not my problem. It is yours. You should not infect servers with your lag. You ruin the game for everyone on that server. PERIOD. This game is very ping dependent because of how the hit/bullet tracer/swing tracer works unlike other FPS that have a better high ping tolerance.

If you want to play on a low ping server, then rent one in your area as I am sure there are other players in your area. A 10 player server is not that expensive and you can run it as you see fit. But it is totally arrogant, entitled and self centered of you to assume that just because you bought a game that you should be allowed to play on any server with your shitty internet while ruining the game for everyone else.

So how about you grow up, man up and create/rent your own server and quit leaching off of others. Now do you know why I can say this? IT is because I practice what I preach. I have rented and managed a server since release spending $100s of dollars hosting servers with great ping. I only play on other servers with great ping. There is no reason for ma to play on an EURO server with 200+ ping lagging my euro friends unless they asked me to hop over for a bit.

• Yep, If you want to fix the problem, rent a server in your area and the problem is fixed.
    If you are strapped for cash, you can easily add a donate button on the server, so appreciative players can help mitigate some of the cost.

Don’t blame us when we kick for high ping. I myself will hide in a corner as soon as my ping rises above 100 and if it seems constant, I will quit until my shitty Australian internet settles down.

• @jrmftw:

Yep, If you want to fix the problem, rent a server in your area and the problem is fixed.
    If you are strapped for cash, you can easily add a donate button on the server, so appreciative players can help mitigate some of the cost.

Don’t blame us when we kick for high ping. I myself will hide in a corner as soon as my ping rises above 100 and if it seems constant, I will quit until my shitty Australian internet settles down.

Move countries to a place where they are actually rolling out fibre to everyone a year ahead of schedule. (Hint hint it’s across the ditch).

Also I still haven’t worked out what HPBs is. High Ping Bitches?

• I thought it was High Ping Bastards.

• @dudeface:

Hey wait weren’t you laggin’ up our server the other day with your girlfriend.

Yeah, and if anyone’s in the same situation I was in then I’d absolutely vote no so they could play casually with their girlfriend. But how many people get to play this game with their girlfriend like me? lol

• @SOC:

Yeah, and if anyone’s in the same situation I was in then I’d absolutely vote no so they could play casually with their girlfriend. But how many people get to play this game with their girlfriend like me? lol

I’ve let mine play once on my account. Everyone told me/her to start playing serious and stop being useless. lol

• @SOC:

I frankly wouldn’t give a shit and would kick the person either way, high ping is high ping, stop being such a hypocrite.

• Private servers are quite right to keep the regular players happy plus those those also donate. They have a right to
    play and expect Quality of a private , well like server. As for the public servers TB should have ping limits in place.
    After all why go to all that trouble to show what region and country the server is in if any tom , dick and harry can
    simply join to purposely lag players up and be disruptive. They might as well do away with displaying what country
    the servers in located in. Might as well have a big fat lobby were gamers are transported to the first open server slot.

• @lemonater47:

Also I still haven’t worked out what HPBs is. High Ping Bitches?

Close.

Back in the day, very few people played online PC games. Those who did all used dial-up connections with pings in the 200 to 300 range. Since this was the baseline, it wasn’t much of a big deal. Everyone “lagged”.

Then came along broadband connections (DSL and cable). Suddenly, in a server of 16 people with an average ping of 250, you had one or two guys with sub-100 pings that could shoot you before you could even seen them turn the corner. They were called “Low Ping Bastards” because everyone was jealous of their competitive edge.

Fast forward 10 years and the tables have turned. “LPB” is a useless term now since everyone has broadband. This only leaves behind “HPBs”: High ping bastards. :miserable:

Edit: I suddenly realize that “high ping bitches” actually makes more sense nowadays since nobody is jealous of their shitty connection. I’m going to update my lexicon accordingly. LPB: low ping bastard HPB: high ping bitch

• @Xylvion:

I frankly wouldn’t give a shit and would kick the person either way, high ping is high ping, stop being such a hypocrite.

It isn’t hypocrisy when it isn’t for selfish intentions. She was kicked from NA servers for having high ping. I get kicked from Asia servers for having high ping. That’s life. It’s not like either of us playing casually at high ping and having a good time together is going to make anyone else’s experience all that much worse.

If I’m just soloing and try harding on high ping servers when I could play low ping servers instead and running through everyone warping around with claymore or archer or MaA or whatever it’s way different. That would be hypocrisy.

• The generally accepted limit is 200, since that’s when you start getting things like strikes that are invisible/immune to interrupt. Sometimes people kick for pings above 150 during the 5-11pm range, but it’s much rarer outside of that.

• @SOC:

It isn’t hypocrisy when it isn’t for selfish intentions.

So him not having any servers around and having to play on a server with high ping is selfish, meanwhile you playing with a high ping together with your girlfriend, or vice versa, is not selfish?
    Seriously, you could join a duel server and just challenge eachother, or you could rent a server to play on/start a listen server, no need to ruin other players experiences for your own selfish reasons.

• @IP:

The generally accepted limit is 200, since that’s when you start getting things like strikes that are invisible/immune to interrupt. Sometimes people kick for pings above 150 during the 5-11pm range, but it’s much rarer outside of that.

What? UM no…. Chiv is very ping dependent and simply not playable with any ping above 80 really. Most kick players with 100+ and be done with it unless the entire server is lagtastic. Chiv is not like other games when it comes to ping. Sorry that is just the reality.

• HPBs are usually the whiniest people, too. They never accept responsibility for the chaos they cause on a server and try to guilt people into letting them play. “There’s no servers near me, boo hoo”
    Nobody owes you the chance to play. The game has an offline mode. Or play co-op mode - nobody cares about your ping there.