How to get better at chivalry

• I’m rank 36 currently and still get my ass handed to me but even lower ranked players (some even just like 25). I respect this game’s combat system completely including feints/drags. But sometimes I just go on the dueling servers and just get my ass handed by even newer players with probably less hours than me (i have out 340 hours). It’s kind of frustrating that I’m playing and not really getting better even though I try my best to fight better skilled opponents. But even newbs killing me (legitimate kills no luck). I know it’s game, but I hate knowing I have put in more hours just to suck and be beat constantly; it’s hard to have fun at a game like that when you aren’t improving and even able to learn to get better.

I’ve had some ppl help me like learning to block insta-overheads which I’m still not able to do. One thing I can’t get over are feints, especially with high skilled opponents who can make these stabs and overheads land almost instantly, even knights. How do you even do that? How do you even train specifically these things; i just feel that my hours being spent are just fruitless. Help is greatly appreciated. I even bought two copies of this game, at near full price.

• 340 is not much, we all went there having shitty scores on duel servers, just don’t give up and it will come with time. Old duels are the fastest way to get better now (map is duelyard usually).

• There is no such thing as not learning man, you gotta be patient and thing will come naturally as you play. There are a lot of patterns on how people fight and react to things, try to notice this. For example, people tend to fall easier for feints after they made a mistake; there are thousand of situations like this that you will get with experience. Worse players show more repetitive, and thus predictable patterns, try to notice their pattern, and try to notice YOUR patterns, thing you are addicted to do and gets you killed (mine is kick for example, I kick too much sometimes).

Just be cold and try to analyze the situation when you lose, think on what you could have done to win and why haven’t you made it. Also relax and stop with panic parry. Seriously, try not to panic parry NEVER, even with that twat MAA that stare into your soul with those puny little toothpicks, DONT PANIC

If you want to be safe from bullshit attacks like fast as fuck overheads and stab feints, footwork is what you are looking for. Gotta know when to keep the distance and when to facehug, kick is REALLY good in avoiding SOME facehugg situations, but it tends not to work. If it did work 100% of the time, it would be fucking good. You should test with kick, there are some safe opportunities to use it and it can save your life more often then not. Don’t be like me and gamble with the kick though, thats so dumb its not even funny

Another thing, try to gamble less as possible if you are trying to git gud. Get vanguard with a huge weapon, learn how to use range as a advantage, learn to avoid trades and how to run like a bitch from other people attack, it might help. Then switch to knight, smaller range, lower speed, but its even better to practice if you think about it! Just don’t go easy mode messer/maul hittrading, because although its effective, its not very didactic you see, players that crutch on this usually has a simple pattern and looks like you are trying to improve right.

In my experience, your opponent will tend to see a very fucking fast overhead acceleration if you crouch+lookdown ONLY when you get to release phase. So you are staring him, you windup your overhead (maybe even looking a bit up you know, so you have a chance to confuse him making him think you are going to delay that shit) and when you get to release you crouch and look down. Its good with weapons like zweihander, seems like people don’t expect this kind of bullshit from it lol

Also what Dusty said, you have a lot of hours, but thats actually not much if you understand me ehehe, game is hard man, really. But notice people patterns, pay close attention to how they play (even noobs, so you don’t make the same mistake they do) and experience will reward you mate.

• This post is deleted!

• Wow Vanguard, that was a great, very detailed post. I guess I just need to play for a lot longer (lol i know people with like 4400 hours). It definitely makes me feel a little better about how bad I am. I do have patterns as well, but they aren’t the biggest problem as my defense. I see the attack, but get hit probably cuz they changed angles on me or just the fact that I don’t understand the angle. But really, man, thank you for the post I really appreciate it.

• @rice-boy:

I see the attack, but get hit probably cuz they changed angles on me or just the fact that I don’t understand the angle.

What’s your fps? Does this happen to you on official servers?

• Add Dusty if you want to be trained

• @Jetstream:

Add Dusty if you want to be trained

I can vouch for this, dusty is the best trainer EU.

• @rice-boy:

Wow Vanguard, that was a great, very detailed post. I guess I just need to play for a lot longer (lol i know people with like 4400 hours). It definitely makes me feel a little better about how bad I am. I do have patterns as well, but they aren’t the biggest problem as my defense. I see the attack, but get hit probably cuz they changed angles on me or just the fact that I don’t understand the angle. But really, man, thank you for the post I really appreciate it.

You are most welcome my friend!

About your parry, if overheads are your problem, try to crouch and look up to parry them. It might make things easier because you create a bit of distance between you and your opponent, thus making accelerated attacks or weird angled overheads easier to parry as you can see them coming easier. Have in mind that although crouching might help with this, veterans knows that once crouched your mobility is lower and they might take advantage of it, and stab on your sides.

At your experience level, the best thing you do in my opinion is experiment, or take the fastest way and ask Dusty to train you! Its always nice when a veteran offers help mate!

• Petergriffin mentioned FPS; this was a major part of my problem when I was getting rekt. Having your FPS drop when trying to defend yourself makes it very difficult; you die against lower ranks or basic attacks and you’re not even sure why. Fixing this can really help your gameplay, so I wrote a guide to improving your FPS to help others (and to have a quick reference when game updates reset my graphics settings).

• Yeah low FPS or high ping makes it almost impossible to do well.

• Focus on parries more than attacking your opponent.