The fall of the elite - Conan is getting old

• I find it a little sad that players are getting older. Take H E X E N aka Conan the Barbarian for example. 2 years ago he was at the peak of his game, so many videos did I watch where he taught us the strength and weaknesses of each weapon.

I saw him in battle recently and it is obvious those muscles have turned a little flabby, no longer able to dominate the other warriors, I killed him a couple of times and felt saddened that one of my heroes is no longer the man he used to be.

It seems to be a general trend, no longer does “Rank 50+” hold the young men in awe, rather it is a testing ground to prove their vitality.

Sure they can do well, but lets face it, they are getting old.

(Still a sum of ranks would be handy on the tab screen).

• In my opinion, Chivalry as a gaming environment is much different than it used to be in terms of player skill. The overall remaining player base is much more aggressive and talented in 2015 than it was in 2013. Free weekends remind me of 2013.

Here are the estimated benchmarks.

2015 | 2013
    Rank 35 = Rank 50
    400 Hours = 1,200 Hours

• iirc, in a video made few months back, Hexen admitted to having health problems. So shame on you. :0

• You don’t need to be on your full game all the time. Sometimes you jump on for the first time in weeks and you play pretty well but not perfectly. How does a random pubbing experience determine skill level?

• @gregcau:

It seems to be a general trend, no longer does “Rank 50+” hold the young men in awe, rather it is a testing ground to prove their vitality.

Couldnt agree more in this. You see level 50s every single match, and a ton of them at that. But time moves on and thats part of the game. But everything is relative; The level 60’s do what the level 50’s did then, and they are still extremely rare.
    However, there is still a minor difference compared to seeing level 60’s these days, and seeing the lvl 50’s in the olden days. For example, back then people quite literally gathered around that golden piece of armour to praise the veteran lord, while these days hardly anyone stops by to even look at the level 60 helmet (which a lot of the rank holders dont even wear for some odd reason).

Something that also changed is the fact that you have quite a few level 30’s and even 20’s who’s fighting skill is on par with that of the level 40’s, if not better. This kind of subtracts from the prestige that once came with holding veteran ranks (40+). It simply doesnt mean as much anymore.

• @SgtHannes:

For example, back then people quite literally gathered around that golden piece of armour to praise the veteran lord, while these days hardly anyone stops by to even look at the level 60 helmet (which a lot of the rank holders dont even wear for some odd reason).

When that golden helmet came along, I wanted it so bad! Now people barely seem to notice.

• @Caliko:

2015 | 2013
    Rank 35 = Rank 50
    400 Hours = 1,200 Hours

Me and my pals have noticed quite the opposite, the new “generation” of players is much worse then the people who played comp in 2014

• @CRUSHED:

Me and my pals have noticed quite the opposite, the new “generation” of players is much worse then the people who played comp in 2014

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I took a massive break from this game for the majority of 2014. I was sure as hell shit when I came back but now I’m hard carry every scrim, and my playtime now compared to 2013-14 is drastically reduced. I sure as hell still don’t care about duels; anyway, only Dusty and Sora can rival my sick stab cc|:^))

• @Jetstream:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I took a massive break from this game for the majority of 2014. I was sure as hell shit when I came back but now I’m hard carry every scrim, and my playtime now compared to 2013-14 is drastically reduced. I sure as hell still don’t care about duels; anyway, only Dusty and Sora can rival my sick stab cc|:^))

You dont even get greetings anymore. You join a server and say Hi, and no one else says hi. You have a perfectly good round without any incidents and then you say bye, no one else says bye.

This used to be different not so long ago.

• I want to say it’s sad but it’s also an exciting thing to see new people rise up. What’s not cool to see is the sheer amount of douche bags those players are they really spoil the game for me thinking their to good to duel ll you. One thing I haven’t seen in the new generation that alot of high lvl 40+ do is take the time to teach players what they know. I ask a level 50 if they could teach me the move they destroyed me with and I haven’t been turned down yet opposed to the level 30 that kill u repeatedly in a duel server and call it training just my thoughts on the matter

• Mod

If you followed Hexens videos you’d realise he’s been flat out with work and has hardly any spare time to play Chivalry and the only times he usually does is to make a new video. He’d be rusty from hardly playing… Most veterans also no longer care for acting like the best thing ever in pub servers, you’ve proven yourself, you’ve moved to the top, now you can crack some beers and chill out. The game in it’s current stage isn’t worth playing competitively, things like inconsistent flinch, broken kicks and unbalanced archers keep the game as a play for fun and not a play to be elite.

In a way you’re right, most the old players have either moved on, or no longer give a damn. It’s still my favourite game, and I still love playing it though.

• Well, for one, the game is far more newbie friendly now. For the first 12+ months after release, parrying an attack — something we take for granted now — took almost as much skill as actually landing a hit. A lot of new players took ages to learn how to parry. Now you can just right-click without adjusting your aim at all and pretty much always parry an attack, even from a rank 50 or 60.

In the past it was particularly difficult to parry skilled players and even certain weapons like the dane axe and falchion due to the different camera, closer contact (“no bubble”), and smaller parry box. :watermelon: Makes it much more difficult for a high level player to “wreck” the lower ranks. It’s also much more difficult to 1vn now as well, so two or three low ranks can easily take down a high level player, which wasn’t always the case in the past. On the plus side, Tibbs gave us PiP!

• @HaHawk:

Well, for one, the game is far more newbie friendly now. For the first 12+ months after release, parrying an attack — something we take for granted now — took almost as much skill as actually landing a hit. A lot of new players took ages to learn how to parry. Now you can just right-click without adjusting your aim at all and pretty much always parry an attack, even from a rank 50 or 60.

I dont remember a change affecting parry - or is this just a side effect of the bubble? Certainly I hated the dane axe without the bubble - it meant you really had to hack your FOV or go 3rd person.

• They increased the size of the parry box a while ago. Which made backwards parries possible.

• @lemonater47:

They increased the size of the parry box a while ago. Which made backwards parries possible.

This, before you actually had to turn 90+ degreece to parry, now people can parry shit by crouching and looking up, it’s ridicolous.

• I am probably one of those LVL 50+ players that has peaked a few times, and hit skill walls. Sometimes it is physical as I have a bit of the carpel tunnel or I am really tired, working too much, not sleeping enough. This is due to us players that are 21+ years old and in my case much older where we have lives, jobs responsibilities. Most of the new guys in my clan are in their late teens with no life yet, out of school for the summer or waiting to go to college with nothing but time to play on their hands.

Other issues have been the ability to adapt to the, sometimes horrific dev changes, or having to relearn the game in MERCS or after a patch. Most LVL 50 players have 2000+ hours and are simply burnt out and don’t care as much. Sometimes I get that way where I get so frustrated at the game, lag, or what ever I just have to walk away. But I don’t so I get more burnt out.

If you quit playing for a week and run a clan like I do, then everyone falls apart wondering what happened, why isnt he on, the clan if falling apart…. and on and on. I sadly have 3420 hours in the game mostly with the same 4 or so classes. Then the skill level changes and new metas evolve and I just don’t feel like keeping up with the Jones doing the super streatchy ROH combo drag cftp into a riposte accelerated spin OH combo drag.

Sometimes I just wanna lob off a head or two, drink a few beers, play some custom maps (the same old maps are boring as shit) then rub one out and pass out.

• Remember what I said years ago? Most of us spent thousands of hours discovering what new players can learn to do in a few minutes.

• @SOC:

Remember what I said years ago? Most of us spent thousands of hours discovering what new players can learn to do in a few minutes.

True that, specially after videos and teaching so many over the years

• Mod

It’s all true. I remember the days where “aiming your parry towards the tip of the enemies weapon” actually meant something. Now it’s all about aiming up at the sky and crouching as much as possible to make parrying easier. A lot can change in over two years in peoples lives as well. Most the regulars are working, partying, eating chicken wings, moving their girlfriends endless supply of boxes and furniture into her new house for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaays etc etc. I think we all should take a week off our busy lives and just pull out dubaxes on chivarly and have a good time tbh.

• I disagree with this, Greg. I played for the first time in months on Friday and still ****d the server. The general quality was extremely low, hardly anybody even tried to block. I’m told that the best remaining old school players congregate on a single server late at night and good games can still be found, but I can’t be arsed tbh. I forgot how laggy and choppy this game is, I must have gotten used to it before, but it was really hard to readjust to again.