Windows 10 methods

• I would suggest a nice usb 3 flash stick/ drive
    download the media creation tool here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Run this program and set up for usb stick etc.
    The good news is having set this w10 up on 4 computers that
    On one Computer I decided to try a delete everything ie don’t keep any of my files
    or personal settings> After running the windows 10 setup from my created usb drive.
    Note on a computer already running windows 7, The operating system was valid
    plus activated. For those of you that don’t know this in windows 8.1 , the shocker was
    it actually asked for a key? as did other incarnations of the windows 8’s.

At least in Windows 10 your old key is used, bear in mind the method explained here
    works as does simply waiting for the head nod from the windows update to say your
    w10 is ready . Have now done every installing method but recommend the create usb
    system of installing .
    Plus you can install on any other computer or help a colleague out.

The only failure is if some rogue sent you a key or your using a key already
    in use. In that situation I’d guess its a matter of what owner upgrades
    to windows 10 first.
    Lastly it runs Chivalry with no problems at all .

• Thats quite literally what I’m doing right this moment, downloading W10 Pro (Non N) to my USB drive. I started that yesterday but aborted it because it took 30 minutes to get to 5%. Now it downloads at about 4x the speed.

There is an alternative method which I do not reccomend. You can go to Windows –-> SoftwareDistribution —> Downloads and delete everything in there (creates 0 problems). Then you can open cmd prompt using Windows Key + R and typing cmd. Then type “wuauclt.exe /updatenow”. This starts the download, but it put me in an endless “Preparing files for installation” queue, which is why I stopped it.

As far as the Installation from the USB drive is concerned, I have all the files I want to keep on 2 seperate partitions. The only thing I will whipe is my current C drive, where my 8.1 OS is on. Then Ill install Windows 10 over it. And that will hopefully leave my other 2 partitions untouched.

• R.A

• That method of SoftwareDistribution can be dodge though, I think the download was looking for certain files in that folder
    so When it did not find them you ended up in a 3 hour loop, “we’re working on it” You know even after restoring
    the prior files back the whole upgrade system was messy. If you fancy a real guru day out use diskpart on a disk
    then simply imagex thingy bobby. put that disk in a machine. This system uses the w7 tool .

• For some reason I’m stuck with a key I cant activate now. Even tried this in cmd……

C:\Windows\system32>slmgr /ipk YOUR WINDOWS KEY

C:\Windows\system32>slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in

C:\Windows\system32>slmgr /ato

Says the key is blocked, F**** clean install…

• This situation I had a few days ago on one of my workstations. Firstly you can go to settings and restore back to
    previous windows, I put reason as faulty hard drive in feedback. Here is the strange part. I tried again a few days
    later, plugged in my pre made usb stick, > setup> did not allow download updates> I did click delete all my files>
    After it setup windows 10 > I noted all my files were still present plus it win10 was activated in control panel.
    I would guess its got no choice but to preserver your old w7 key if you go for don’t save files and settings first?
    IN only the situation you’ve mentioned above.

• @loin:

This situation I had a few days ago on one of my workstations. Firstly you can go to settings and restore back to
    previous windows, I put reason as faulty hard drive in feedback. Here is the strange part. I tried again a few days
    later, plugged in my pre made usb stick, > setup> did not allow download updates> I did click delete all my files>
    After it setup windows 10 > I noted all my files were still present plus it win10 was activated in control panel.
    I would guess its got no choice but to preserver your old w7 key if you go for don’t save files and settings first?
    IN only the situation you’ve mentioned above.

The problem is that I swiped my whole Windows 8.1 Partition (replaced by W10). So I dont know if I can simply “revert” since all of it is gone.

• I’d tried the two methods here and had no luck. was able to upgrade thru Windows Update without issues by adding/changing a value in regedit and checking for updates.

"Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

2.It should exist, but if not, create it.

3.Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = “AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001”

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-general-discussion/370166-windows-update-error-80240020-a.html#post3176063

• He might no longer have a registry tbh. I suggest buying the os key on they baye. I have purchased
    keys from xp to w8.1. Do you have a collection of os setup discs for all operating systems? To add
    If you find that key is a rogue, the bay refunds you.
    the price of keys can be as low as £15 upto £25 usually.

• This post is deleted!

• just posting it for anyone else who wants to update and jump the queue. not as a fix for his problem.

• Well the Edge browser is the main thorn. You can’t seem to get add blockers for it plus it makes using other browsers
    a task. On the system were I left Chrome intact and kept files all is good. One the systems were they were fresh installs
    deleting all files and settings from previous os, I read installing Chrome is ok but It plays movies slower or jerky, not
    to mention amazon and blinkbox don’t support Chrome for its movies now. They have gone ms mad tbh. Windows 10
    on blinkbox is ok, you can download movies and watch offline, but ms seems to have with drawn the drm licence for
    all things but its latest toy windows 10 hehe. The sneakiest of sneakiest moves, In a backdoor way they are side
    stepping the old argument that Windows as trying to corner the browser market In windows. Give it six months
    tbh I suspect the others will catch on and some kind of media complaints will appear in the Techy sites. etc

• After today’s updating of 2 more computers to windows 10, I can confirm when selecting the options to delete all personal
    files it installed faster and was activated. On one of the workstations and a non workstation, even so after the installation
    process they actually retained the old files. They might have kept some computers files and settings as it was easier for
    drivers. ie a high spec workstation hp has many drivers.

• Mod

So is it worth updating from windows 7 to windows 10 is the real question? Is there any performance gain? How’s boot times? I’m being offered the free upgrade on my Alienware laptop which I hardly use so I’m tempted to do it.

• The only W10 key I had was the default key which is the same for everyone
    Im now finally on an activated windows 10. Reminder to all; use the upgrade function BEFORE doing a clean install or you wont be able to activate your W10 (currently atleast) :/

• Its not a bad os but you need to turn off a lot of intrusive spying by our man Microsoft tbh. It seems to run chivalry ok
    however as yet I have not done a clean install of steam but transported the Steam folder on my ext drive about.
    That browser is a tad horrid atm, no addblockers exist yer, plugins or right click text you highlighted and no search
    right context option. In chrome or IE , W8 you at least get search for with google or bing.

selling of 3 computers so thought it would attract more buyers with a clean w10 pc tbh. ( considers a high end vid card)

• @loin:

Its not a bad os but you need to turn off a lot of intrusive spying by our man Microsoft tbh. It seems to run chivalry ok
    however as yet I have not done a clean install of steam but transported the Steam folder on my ext drive about.
    That browser is a tad horrid atm, no addblockers exist yer, plugins or right click text you highlighted and no search
    right context option. In chrome or IE , W8 you at least get search for with google or bing.

selling of 3 computers so thought it would attract more buyers with a clean w10 pc tbh. ( considers a high end vid card)

Ive had some issues with my Soundblaster Sigma headset drivers where I only got stereo and no 5.1 sound. Otherwise W10 is fast and snappy.

However, I upgraded and im still thinking about another (this time proper) clean install of W10. When you use the media creation tool and select “keep nothing” upon upgrading, does that only refer to the OS partition (C drive)?. Because I would select that option if I knew for sure that it would leave me 2 other partitions in tact.

• They don’t seem to give you the option to customize the location, I have a board , cpu and hard drive spare in a box
    with another w7. I will dig it out tomorrow and dig about to see if you can customize were to install w10.

• @Tyoson:

So is it worth updating from windows 7 to windows 10 is the real question? Is there any performance gain? How’s boot times? I’m being offered the free upgrade on my Alienware laptop which I hardly use so I’m tempted to do it.

I’m getting frame drops on most maps 120 down to 70 or less (Irilla down to ~30) at times and bad stuttering. was really smooth in windows 8.1. performance also seems to have dropped on other games I’ve been playing like GTA V/Online.

you can rollback within the first month if you don’t like it. I’m considering doing that.

• Microsoft charging to play DVDs in Windows 10. btw

• Mod

@LongSun:

I’m getting frame drops on most maps 120 down to 70 or less (Irilla down to ~30) at times and bad stuttering. was really smooth in windows 8.1. performance also seems to have dropped on other games I’ve been playing like GTA V/Online.

you can rollback within the first month if you don’t like it. I’m considering doing that.

Bugger. I think I’ll hold off the upgrade then :) Cheers :D