How "fine" are feints now?

• I was always like “OK, whatever”, when people said feints are fine in this ping-based, 2-frame attack, buggy game where sometimes attacks go through parries or deal damage from far away just because.

When people said you can read feints.

Even though by “reading” they mean reading some feints of some weapons, preferably in a controlled environment of a duel.

And when people say “no feint duels are boring, bacause they’ll always end up with two mauls draining stamina” - as if feint duels don’t always end up with two SOWs stab-feinting.

And as if this game should be balanced around duels.

And when feinting throws away most of the other mechanics because why should I go for a footdrag with like 1 out of 10 chance of dealing damage when I can feint which will be successful more times than not.

Oh, unlocking your fps to 120 and buying 120hz monitor should help a little too.

And you could go with 140-150 fov as many of the high ranks do, so you can read an extra stab feint or two. Doesn’t mean mechanic isn’t 100% fine when comp players are willing to make their game look like through the bottom of a glass bottle to deal with it.

Anyway, I was always like “OK, whatever”. You feint me with a SOW stab, I can do the same to you.

But now, when reverse overhead feints are the new craze?

How fine are reverse overhead feints?

Are they totally fine?

• p fine
    some weapons are bullshit with them but that’s a weapon balance issue not a mechanic issue.

due to ping issues feints need a slight rebalance. mercs did that well along with first hit flinch but I’m not happy with some of their other changes like stamina boost on kill.

• Mod

Reverse overhead feints? The very odd Australian player feints, and usually gets abused like crazy for it. Reverse overhead feints though, they’d be locked up for that haha. It’s a game where anything goes, but if you want to play cheap, you’ll cop a lot of hate for it. So yes they’re fine, but expect hate for doing it.

• Fast weapons will always have the edge with feints, since they are mostly performed in face-hug range and as the defending party are a lot harder to discern from actual attacks.
    So it is a mechanical issue, since it is how the feint mechanic works that makes balancing so wonky.

This is something we may see fixed and working well in Chivalry 2 and otherwise Slasher.

• @smokingbobs:

Fast weapons will always have the edge with feints, since they are mostly performed in face-hug range and as the defending party are a lot harder to discern from actual attacks.
    So it is a mechanical issue, since it is how the feint mechanic works that makes balancing so wonky.

This is something we may see fixed and working well in Chivalry 2 and otherwise Slasher.

feints are almost required if you want to end a long fight with someone equally skilled though

which is why I still think it’s a step in the right direction even though weapon balance becomes wonky

sure you can always find ways to beat someone without feints but that’ll take too long in 1v1 situations in team objectives

though personally I don’t see the need to feint in pub servers, but that’s for a whole different reason entirely

edit: also chiv 2 probably won’t happen
    regarding slasher, slasher when?

• @MrGrumps:

feints are almost required if you want to end a long fight with someone equally skilled though

Are you telling us that feints are the easy way to win a fight?

As a pubber I only offensive-feint feinters which rarely happens and I’m only annoyed by 80+ping 1-frame-animation feinters. No one can tell me those are readable.
    It’s also amusing to see that most feinters aren’t even able to read feints themselves.
    Things might be different in chivalry’s “competetive” scene tho.

• As an 80-pinger I can’t read lots of feints. But I also can’t read messer desyncs or whatever so WGAF. I stopped caring about dying a long time ago.

• @Tyoson:

Reverse overhead feints?

I never saw a single one up until recently, and then met about 5 people using them in the last 2 or 3 weeks. They will be a part of the meta in no time.

• @INerevar:

Are you telling us that feints are the easy way to win a fight?

As a pubber I only offensive-feint feinters which rarely happens and I’m only annoyed by 80+ping 1-frame-animation feinters. No one can tell me those are readable.
    It’s also amusing to see that most feinters aren’t even able to read feints themselves.
    Things might be different in chivalry’s “competetive” scene tho.

I’m saying every second counts in team objectives, and feints speed up combat.

I never said feints are easy to perform / read, I’m saying it’s a key component to finishing someone faster if done right, which can save you from getting ganked

• Mod

@King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBFj7uGP_Dw

It appears that pink crown wasn’t earnt in 1 on 1 sword of war dehydration battles.

• I have started to see an advance (if you want to call it that ) in play styles totally dependent upon the feint with fast weapons. Upper level players are starting out with a fient and if you read it, they will double feint the next attack. If you read that one they will triple feint. Depending on weapon, there are very hard to read body feints that look identical to a feint but are not an actual feint. Brandi is the best example of where a player will tap sprint and do a minor zigzag that will mimic the Brandi feint but it isnt a feint so they can attack as soon as they see you parry using a up/down drag.

But it is really the triple feints or a double with a body feint that is really getting me along with a few of the faster weapons single feint can catch me on occasion or in the heat of a battle. Switching to MERCs has also added in some complications as now I am getting flinched more often which gives a free hit as well from the faster weapons.

• Obviously not fine lol do it with halberd, its really not fine at all. Gamble based game tbh

• I prefer feints to third person backswings, or any backswings late windup/early release.

• @Xylvion:

I prefer feints to third person backswings, or any backswings late windup/early release.

Always when I delay my parry to read a feint, I get fucked by a supersonic backswing. I cry everytime

• Worse are those backswings which should technically hit your face at the start, so you parry, but then they just phase through, turn around and mash your face in at the end of release.

• @INerevar:

Worse are those backswings which should technically hit your face at the start, so you parry, but then they just phase through, turn around and mash your face in at the end of release.

Which is why they’re not reliable at all, sometimes they miss you at facehug, sometimes they hit you when you’re 2 meters away from the person and their weapon isn’t even close.

• @Xylvion:

Which is why they’re not reliable at all, sometimes they miss you at facehug, sometimes they hit you when you’re 2 meters away from the person and their weapon isn’t even close.

AHAHA true, when I’m going to backswing sometimes I’m not even sure if I will hit with the back part or dragging it back. No gambles here 100% skill

• @smokingbobs:

Fast weapons will always have the edge with feints, since they are mostly performed in face-hug range and as the defending party are a lot harder to discern from actual attacks.

Not necessarily. Slower weapons like Brandistock and Zwei have great feints because of the long windup times.

@smokingbobs:

In Slasher, feints are perfectly balanced. Feints are countered by chambers and they’re also easier to read because of the better animations.

• @Flippy:

In Slasher, feints are perfectly balanced.

Nothing is perfectly balanced.