Why remove FHF 3 years into the game?

• why? i literally cant play vanilla anymore, it just kills the game for me

why torn banner

• Well for starters FHF wasn’t actually in the game to begin with. They added it in at one point. Then took it out.

• this upsets me even more ;(

• They never really added it tho. Just the flinch when sprinting / 80+ damage thing.

• @dudeface:

They never really added it tho. Just the flinch when sprinting / 80+ damage thing.

True it was never in any patch notes and initially worked in those strange ways.

A bug (sort of) that turned into a feature. Like how CFTP was an exploit that turned into a feature.

• Why is this game still unbalanced?

• FHF is bad in current live balance, and should not be in the game as such.

• The balance in both live and mercs is dreadful, combining the best of both wouldn’t even make the game perfect. If people can’t play both they must suck c|:^)

• Mercs has every weapon balanced around FHF so that it works better, vanilla is very hard to play without getting angry at its horrible balance.

• oops wrong thread /10chars

• Why am I 1150 hours into the game and never heard of FHF?

• Yes agreed , what is that some fad thing.?

• @SgtHannes:

Why am I 1150 hours into the game and never heard of FHF?

@loin:

Yes agreed , what is that some fad thing.?

“First hit flinch” which is pretty ambiguous because that’s how flinches work anyway.

Previously it was kindof sortof in the game because if you got hit while sprinting and attacking, you would flinch even if you were in release, whereas normally you only flinch in windup.

• i liked how it was because you could tell when people were going to try to trade you if they werent sprinting

• ^‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏

• I am confused what you are talking about - did something change recently? flinch during windup, trade during release - nothing has changed?

• @lemonater47:

A bug (sort of) that turned into a feature. Like how CFTP was an exploit that turned into a feature.

It honestly wasn’t a bug given how specifically (i.e. with obvious intent) it was programmed. It was treated as a bug by us players because they never mentioned it and never answered questions about “flinch in release” (remember how much bitching about that there was?) for like, an entire year.

• @dudeface:

It honestly wasn’t a bug given how specifically (i.e. with obvious intent) it was programmed. It was treated as a bug by us players because they never mentioned it and never answered questions about “flinch in release” (remember how much bitching about that there was?) for like, an entire year.

Technically not a bug, but as far as I’m aware nobody on the team even knew it (still) worked like that. It was really just an archaic mechanic from early development that was never changed when the way flinch works was changed; originally I believe you would only flinch while sprinting. In the original source mod, there was no flinching whatsoever, and the main method of avoiding hittrading was to simply sprint into range, hit someone, and then do a 180 in the middle of your swing and sprint away. Of course flinch or no flinch that was eventually solved in Chivalry with the turn limits during an attack. There was a hell of a lot of big mechanics changes throughout Chivalry’s alpha phase and my memory’s pretty hazy on it now, but I believe the entire point of flinch at first was to stop the instant 180 attacks from being so effective, and it was later determined to just be better for the combat overall to have windups always be flinchable; and then the specific sprint-flinch rule was just never removed.

• @zombojoe:

i liked how it was because you could tell when people were going to try to trade you if they werent sprinting

As soon as I was informed about the mechanics I stopped sprinting in every attack even if I wasn’t going to hittrade (except if I was out of reach and needed that little extra speed), just in case someone else or an archer would hit/shoot me from behind.

• @Kim:

Mercs has every weapon balanced around FHF so that it works better, vanilla is very hard to play without getting angry at its horrible balance.

^^^ i ragequit every time