Windows 10 problems with Fonts/Text

• So I am experiencing a particularly nasty bug of which I can find no solution to when I try to play Chivalry. It should be noted however that I do seem to be experiencing similar problems with other games, but I am just grasping at straws at this point trying to figure out how to fix it.

When I try to play a game of Chivalry I notice that some text seems to be missing randomly from where it should be, like a letter that doesn’t show up anywhere in the team selection screen but then does in the scoreboard - only different letters are missing. The game runs fine other than this for a minute or two - 60fps without any hiccups. And then all of the sudden my screen will just freeze up. The game is still responsive as I can hear myself swing my weapon and move around, but graphically I just see a frozen image indefinitely. I have to alt+f4 every time this happens to exit. I’ve tried running the 64 bit application that I use in compatibility mode for Windows 7 as that has solved what seems like a related problem in another game, but to no avail here.

I’m running two Nvidia cards in SLI and have updated to the latest beta drivers available to me as of today. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I cannot even play CMW anymore.

• I got that text bug when I had bAllowD3D9MSAA set to true to try and get better antialiasing. it also screwed up the health and stamina bars.

• Developer

That or starting it with -d3d11 or -dx11?

Was this issue happening before you updated to the beta drivers?

• Ah! That sounds like me. I’ll see if that can fix it then

• @LongSun:

I got that text bug when I had bAllowD3D9MSAA set to true to try and get better antialiasing. it also screwed up the health and stamina bars.

Ah! That sounds like me. I’ll see if that can fix it then

• No I’m not starting it in Dx11 and I’m not sure about before the drivers because this was the first I ran of the game since wiping and upgrading my system to Win10. But LongSun’s suggestion was spot on - that seemed to be causing the problem. The only issue now is how can I get AA to work? In-game AA doesn’t look good at all, I can’t force it through Nvidia Control Panel for some reason, and the one way that made it look good now apparently fucks up my game :(

• Developer

Yeah, that option is known to mess up Scaleform, hence our not exposing it in the GUI. MSAA also causes other graphical artifacts in the game, including weirdness with transparency and shadows. It’s just a general UE3 limitation. Only post-processing AA really works properly, so best supported AA method you’re going to get is MLAA. Sorry! (If your setup is ridiculously beefy, DSR is also an option)

• Ugh that sucks. Well thanks for the info anyway.