Are we ever gonna discuss network stability?

• Or, long story short, this game is not bloody stable at all.
    Why do you keep playing it? I don’t understand.

http://puu.sh/jNhot/91228c118e.webm
    http://puu.sh/jMzRi/dd0e835ccf.webm
    http://puu.sh/jRo4r/e50123124c.webm
    http://puu.sh/jRoxU/3b9acd1e04.webm

This has become the norm.
    Everyone is just like “Yeah, that happens to me too” and then keep playing it.
    Why do you accept that as is? It didn’t use to be like this before January patch. Not to this extent.

It’s even getting worse with every custom content being released.
    From personal experience, I had 80-96 ping before January patch yet most of my problems were with parrying ripostes. Parrying non-riposted attacks almost never desynced. Fast forward to january patch, attacks desynced like in the webms shown above fairly frequently. Once every two-three duels. It got worse and worse.

I switched to fiber network, and got 60-68 ping in most servers. Hooray! Played for a few weeks, could parry a lot more, started reading a lot of feints. Then April patch came, and even though my pings stayed the same on TCP layer (pings on cmd show 60), pings simply raised by as much as 20-30 in-game. So I’m back to 80-90 ping. They never fixed that. Desyncs got even more frequent. As much as once every duel. So yeah, I got pissed. But at least parrying was still possible.

The past two-three weeks, and this week especially, have been horrid. Pings cmd-wise didn’t change at all. I tested packet loss, I just don’t have packet loss, period. And yet, the desyncs have reached a frequency of once every second attack. Once, every, second, attack, what I showed in the webms happens. I basically have no reason to keep playing this game since it completely stopped working for me.

I’m pretty sure the game got progressively worse for most of you aswell, but since your base state was slightly stable, your current state is probably happening once per duel or so.

There’s no reason for the game to keep playing like this, especially since it wasn’t like this before January. Something about these patches are breaking the netcode, and it needs to be stopped.

Edit:
    This is visible in other forms such as footwork activating way too late (I literally can’t do fast ripostes at all anymore, it just doesn’t work. My character does not move after parrying), Teleports. OH BOY the teleports. Parrying, getting kicked, your opponent parrying as you backstep. All these are moments susceptible to teleports which completely ruin your fight and pretty much kills you. This happens a lot more frequently aswell.
    It’s just not stable.

• the game has been like this for long now

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/17558-Chivalry-Medieval-Warfare-CU2-Patch-2
    @Lucas:

• Networking optimizations to improve performance

not saying BS didn’t exist before this, but that’s likely the cause of most of it tbh.

• Same shit happens to me but not every fight. Probably like 1/10 attacks or maybe less.

• Welcome to Chivalry.

• @INerevar:

Welcome to Chivalry.

Nere, mate, I made this thread precisely because answers like that should not be acceptable.

• It’s becoming more and more frequent, seriously, fix this shit already.

• Well that crappy FOV is doing you no favors that is for sure and is a pain to watch as it makes my eyes bleed. That said, I am not sure that much can be done about it because of the nature of the design of the real time swing mechanic is radically different than a standard FPShooter with drawing and detecting a single bullet trace line in 3D space opposed to having to draw a dynamic 3D plotted graph in 3D space per swing with lots of grid points.

This is where I have always called out for high ping kickers, kicking players @ 110 ping and a warning at 90. Ping is such a factor as it tends to favor the high pinger as far as hit registration in how the lag prediction system works. I notice huge misses when I am playing with 12 ping VS someone with 70 ping. They are lagging to be big time it gets progressively worse the higher the ping so a 110+ ping is almost unhitable as they are morphing around me. Yes I have Google fiber and low ping doesnt do me any favors specially having 1 GB up/down speeds in this game as I am always waiting from the lagger for a server update.

• @Retsnom:

Well that crappy FOV is doing you no favors that is for sure and is a pain to watch as it makes my eyes bleed. That said, I am not sure that much can be done about it because of the nature of the design of the real time swing mechanic is radically different than a standard FPShooter with drawing and detecting a single bullet trace line in 3D space opposed to having to draw a dynamic 3D plotted graph in 3D space per swing with lots of grid points.

This is where I have always called out for high ping kickers, kicking players @ 110 ping and a warning at 90. Ping is such a factor as it tends to favor the high pinger as far as hit registration in how the lag prediction system works. I notice huge misses when I am playing with 12 ping VS someone with 70 ping. They are lagging to be big time it gets progressively worse the higher the ping so a 110+ ping is almost unhitable as they are morphing around me. Yes I have Google fiber and low ping doesnt do me any favors specially having 1 GB up/down speeds in this game as I am always waiting from the lagger for a server update.

No such thing as not sure that much can be done. It was fine once, it can be fine again (only reason it can’t is tornbanner gave up on it)

• Mod

The best fix is matrix and dance more, and parry less. People rely too heavily on parries. Why would you rely on parries when the netcode is so unstable. I agree it needs a proper fix, but I just learnt to adapt and stopped treating this game like it’s anything more than fun.

• @Tyoson:

The best fix is matrix and dance more, and parry less. People rely too heavily on parries. Why would you rely on parries when the netcode is so unstable. I agree it needs a proper fix, but I just learnt to adapt and stopped treating this game like it’s anything more than fun.

It’s true, footwork is more reliable than parry in this game. I only use parry as my last stand.
    I guess though that Grumps is pretty aware of this.

This game has a skill based combat system which is broken by bugs & gamble.
    I laugh at the “comp scene” where players gamble (even for money?) and call it skill.

• I am very well aware of this, and am usually at the top of the scoreboard with pretty good stats in TO regardless of how many rank 50s, “comp” players, etc are in the opposing team.

But I’ve long since stopped enjoying the process completely. And I don’t care that I’m still doing well, I want to have fun which right now is impossible with this bullshit.

Right now playing is filled with moments of COOME ON which completely ruin my mood, is completely because of my slightly less than perfect ping, and there’s no way around it.
    I could finish a round with 28-1 in FFA (never in TO because teamkills) and still hate every single moment.

• You know, this kind of thing makes me mad in duels, but in duels I’m in another state of spirit because there are no fucking archers so I think “WHAT THE FUCK WAS THIS SHIT. Well, at least there are no fucking archers here” and everything is pure happiness again.

But seriously, game is FUBAR. I would be happy if TB fixed things but I doubt they want to. You see, they are milking money out of this game in Valve levels of capitalism… Best we can do is hope for their next game to be good and this was all worthy in the end tbh.

• Guys melee is borked. Play archer instead. It’s how I stay happy ^___^

• @dudeface:

Guys melee is borked. Play archer instead. It’s how I stay happy ^___^

WHAT!?1/!?
    GTFO HERE ARCHER SCUM, ID RATHER DEAL WITH LAG AND GHOSTSWINGS THEN PEWPEPRPEPEPEWWHY DOES IT EVEN EXIST LET ME PARRY ARROWS AT LEAST TORNBANNER DO SOMETHIGN CANT STAND FUCKING MEDIEVAL SNIPERS EVERYWHER GODDAMNINT

Eh, sorry m8 :(

• pew pew tbh <3

edit: we used to have a rad archer emoticon where’d it go :(

• @dudeface:

pew pew tbh <3

edit: we used to have a rad archer emoticon where’d it go :(

Went to where all archers should go, FUCKING HELL AHHAHA YIS

• Oh yeah, games code has been shit since day one. Adding more has made it worse. I’ve swung right through people with no damage, and had the same happen to me. It happens regularly on most servers I play on at some point during a game session.

As for how much more intense the collision detection is - yes its more complex then a bullet trace, but not much beyond it really. They just did it poorly and never optimized it to begin with.

• Mod

@dudeface:

Guys melee is borked. Play archer instead. It’s how I stay happy ^___^

This is actually something I do tbh. I pull out the sling and bop people when server sync is weird.

• in all honesty I don’t get this all that much… it only gets bad with the messer and zweihander imho, or practically every well done overhead acceleration but those have always pretty much been big mind games so it’s not game breaking at all.

I agree it should be fixed, and there is no excuse but I wouldn’t say it would be something to cause you to stop playing at all.

• @Hemdall:

Oh yeah, games code has been shit since day one. Adding more has made it worse. I’ve swung right through people with no damage, and had the same happen to me. It happens regularly on most servers I play on at some point during a game session.

As for how much more intense the collision detection is - yes its more complex then a bullet trace, but not much beyond it really. They just did it poorly and never optimized it to begin with.

Actually it is much more complex. The swing trace is ridiculously complex when you consider that in real time having to draw complex graphs while moving in 3D space where a bullet trace is a single line from point A to point B with in the same given time period. There is also the issue of the 40% bubble that is still in existence that no one is talking about. It is still there fellas and the effects are still there as well. Even with the reduction you will still get bounce offs and ghost swings. It is a combination of the bubble and ping differential. There is nothing wrong with the hit boxes in most cases if you stand still you can hit anything and it will be detected but add in ping, footwork and the bubble and you still have some of these effects. Lets not even mention how broken kick is. Still not sure how they borked it a few patches ago.