90% of rank 50+ play as archer in pubs

• @Lilboots:

Maybe its different over seas servers. As for rank 1-15 archers. Yes they hit you. But are far from being any good. In fact can mostly say any archer i verse doesnt get in the top 10 on the score board. If you let archers do what they want the will dominate.

the entire problem with archers is that a player with 0 hours played can kill a player with 2000 hours played, and there is nothing that the better player can do about it

@Lilboots:

Counter archer is easy. Zwei is easy. Shields are effective but still vulnerable to skilled archers. I love to counter arch with those 3.

zwei only counters archers if the archer is blindfolded and afk at the same time

@Lilboots:

Most will complain about archers. But most higher tier players will say they are annoying but would rather play with them. Rather then not

most higher tier players prefer to play with as few archers as possible

• Mod

If you ever ask a low rank archer why they’re playing the class. The usual response is “Because I’ll just die if I try to fight up close, you are all high ranks” Or something similar. I find archer a very easy and relaxing class. I’ll usually just pull out sling and pop heads when I don’t feel like concentrating too much. Going any of the bows, especially crossbows is just ridiculously easy for any player who has good battle sense. Archers are great fun to slaughter though, so I don’t mind them :)

• @Stael:

the entire problem with archers is that a player with 0 hours played can kill a player with 2000 hours played, and there is nothing that the better player can do about it

zwei only counters archers if the archer is blindfolded and afk at the same time

most higher tier players prefer to play with as few archers as possible

Give this Dane a cookie.

• Global Moderator

Its relaxing if you dont have any other archers to fight. Go against a few top archers aka sadistic or OP and see how your rocks go.

Yarnu the dog is a zwei lover. When he played going after archers he would average 50-70 kills with less then 10 deaths.

I suppose he was just better then the majority that complain though…

I have no issues playing agaisnt archers. Even when i play melee. Its fun regardless

• Global Moderator

@Lilboots:

Its relaxing if you dont have any other archers to fight. Go against a few top archers aka sadistic or OP and see how your rocks go.

Yarnu the dog is a zwei lover. When he played going after archers he would average 50-70 kills with less then 10 deaths.

I have no issues playing agaisnt archers. Even when i play melee. Its fun regardless

Less than 10 deaths only when rabbit was around.

• Mod

@Lilboots:

Why would I throw rocks at archers who have the advantage? I’ll always position myself to be out of their view and have eyes on melee opponents only. I’ll only throw rocks at archers when I’m in a better position. Most archers don’t even fire at me anymore because they’ve all stopped using broadheads. It’s still relaxing.

Yarnu did spend 90% of the game healing after getting shot once by an archer. He also rarely went for the objective. KDR isn’t what this game is about. It’s about getting objectives done :) Although the ranking system very weirdly says otherwise…

• I actually notice more MaAs than archers, but it’s probably because they’re self conscious about their rank and feel pressured to do well. Archers and MaAs (especially on defense) take much less effort to do well and have no risk playstyles. This means you can get acceptable KDs easily even against good players as long as the good players are vanguard/knight.

Sometimes I’m tired and just don’t feel like trying but want to stomp with little effort so I play MaA/archer for it. It’s far easier to go 35-0 or 35-1 with archer/MaA than 55-5 knight/vg.

• @SOC:

I actually notice more MaAs than archers, but it’s probably because they’re self conscious about their rank and feel pressured to do well. Archers and MaAs (especially on defense) take much less effort to do well and have no risk playstyles. This means you can get acceptable KDs easily even against good players as long as the good players are vanguard/knight.

Sometimes I’m tired and just don’t feel like trying but want to stomp with little effort so I play MaA/archer for it. It’s far easier to go 35-0 or 35-1 with archer/MaA than 55-5 knight/vg.

MAA is trash tier in vanilla tbh, nerfed to doom. Just trade them with zwei or messer and 1kt easy.

Archers are NEVER easy to deal with, unless they don’t know the map. Even so, if he spots you, chances are you are going to get rekt if he knows how to aim (witch some rank 2 archers know quite well)

Zwei does not counter archer. Archer counter archer, thats autistic beyond belief. Let me parry arrows then maybe zwei can do something to archers.

• I will admit I have seen an increase of archers and MAAs both in vanilla. I have seen teams with only one Van and one knight, the rest? Archers and MAA. That is so annoying, I usually dont play on that server very long. It is no fun getting one shot at range or spammed to deal via archer dagger or MAA spam.

• Archer is simply the easiest way to carry a team. They can just kill the other team’s best melee players for free while they’re fighting someone else. All of your issues with 1vN are dealt with by sniping people to death from across the map. And once you’re no longer engaged in melee and can go for the medieval sniper, a good archer doesn’t care if you serpentine or constantly hop and airstrafe with a shield; you’ll still get hit because of the easily exploitable projectile hitboxes and the fact that headshots are unnecessary with the ludicrous stopping power of the warbow. One hit to the toe and the target has to sit under cover for a ridiculous amount of time to regenerate; plenty of time for the other team to respawn and chase you off.

If you decide to limp after the archer with an arrow in your foot anyway, they have the advantage in melee now too - good footspeed and a fast weapon against a near dead opponent. MaA is the only class that can best them in footwork, but a light breeze will finish a MaA off after they take a warbow arrow. You thought knights were the kings of hittrades? Nah, archers hold that title. After all, you have to run into enemy territory to melee an archer. He has all the time in the world to wait for you to swing and then get in a lightning fast stab before your attack connects; if you hesitate eventually his team will show up and he can just back up and shoot you again.

The risk vs. reward ratio for archers is incredibly skewed. You don’t get to rank 50 by playing to lose.

• Slygoat for main developer again tbh, if he gives me back my old claymore that is.

• Global Moderator

Well all this archer talk has made me wanna focus another 2000 hours as an archer. Knight plus norse buckler. Vg charge. Maa dodge. Every class has a trait where people will disagree on. If you cant deal with the game as a whole. Maybe solitaire is a game you should try.

Hue hue

• @Lilboots:

Well all this archer talk has made me wanna focus another 2000 hours as an archer. Knight plus norse buckler. Vg charge. Maa dodge. Every class has a trait where people will disagree on. If you cant deal with the game as a whole. Maybe solitaire is a game you should try.

Hue hue

Hue Hue all the other special powers are relatively easy to deal with when you compare to something like maul damage free hit across the map.

Maybe you should try to play other classes then pansie archer so you can see how broken and OP this shit actually is.

• The only thing worse than.an Archer is an Archer apologist.

• All this tears. there is no easier class to play than vanguard.

• @lemonater47:

Ask any of those low ranks who plays ercher and they all say it’s hard.

That’s because they’re new and thus bad at everything else to begin with, though.
    Ask yourself why do these lowranks switch to archers and then stick to that for quite some time?

It’s because it’s far easier for them to kill highranks as archer than it is to kill them with melee.
    As such most lowranks go for the crossbows as it deals more damage and takes less skill to use.

If you ask them what’s so hard about archer, they’ll tell you it’s hard to aim at the target. But that’s just because they’re not used to leading. Leading takes less than 10 hours to really get the hang of it, whereas melee takes at least 100 hours to grasp the basics enough to survive under chaos.

• I just started playing thi awesome game, and I must say I prefer melee over archer. I ussually avoid classes like that, archer/sniper etc.
    But I don’t mind them, as long they are on normal number and not 20 out of 24 are archer. I tried it once and well, it’s just not for me.

• Global Moderator

@MrGrumps:

That’s because they’re new and thus bad at everything else to begin with, though.
    Ask yourself why do these lowranks switch to archers and then stick to that for quite some time?

It’s because it’s far easier for them to kill highranks as archer than it is to kill them with melee.
    As such most lowranks go for the crossbows as it deals more damage and takes less skill to use.

If you ask them what’s so hard about archer, they’ll tell you it’s hard to aim at the target. But that’s just because they’re not used to leading. Leading takes less than 10 hours to really get the hang of it, whereas melee takes at least 100 hours to grasp the basics enough to survive under chaos.

They don’t stick as archer.

They tend to go knight most of them. Below rank 20.

• I love playing as archer! But it’s mostly because I like the way the archer looks with the kettle helmet and the shortsword. I try running around and stabbing bloodied foes who are unaware or noobs who can’t time parries.

And of course when the situation calls for it, I shoot people with my crossbow. Mostly other archers, enemies who are on catapults/ballistas, or who are doing the objectives. But of course high-level vanguard players, since they can slaughter whole teams.

I can feel you all hating me :’(

• @Vanguard:

MAA is trash tier in vanilla tbh, nerfed to doom. Just trade them with zwei or messer and 1kt easy.

Except trades don’t happen in pubs when you play MaA, they always flinch you even if you’re in claymore windup and then they press stab. Messer and zwei never hit any MaAs that aren’t terribad, any real player knows you must switch to Norse on knight and hope you trade with that instead. As an MaA, I love it when people try using zwei and messer against me as if it’s actually a thing. Remember, a not bad MaA will never get hit by anything except archers.