90% of rank 50+ play as archer in pubs

• @Retsnom:

No, most people don’t enjoy chasing down archers because of the OP factor. Most people do not enjoy not being able to dodge and weave only to get 1 shot on the way to an archer, or hit 2-3 times by the time you get within striking distance, only to be spammed to death byt the short sword or dagger while the archer goes into melee with full health and stamina. There is no joy in it what so ever.

Even worse is sneaking up behind an archer and not getting a 1 hit or they survive, instant weapon switch and parry only to spam you do death. Sorry there is nothing about archers that are enjoyable about this unbalanced class. This isnt even scratching the surface on 1 shot Jav players.

Well, there will always be the ones who kill you, either by luck or skill, but don’t tell me most people don’t enjoy decapitating an archer. ;)

When I play MAA I always harass archers as much as possible, and try to infiltrate archer nests from behind and it usually goes quite well. But sometimes you have to become the villain in order to ward off a greater threat, to protect the players who will sadly not all understand your intentions. In my case, I have chosen to walk the dark path of the archer, to fight the dancers, ground-lookers and back-swingers. And unfortunately for them, I am quite accurate.

• @gregcau:

Why is that? Just to annoy the crap out of regular players that archers are so fucked up unbalanced?

TBS do something (though I know they will do nothing).

You guys talk about lvl 50’s on PC like they’re a common commodity. That’s frightening there are less than 10 in existence on Xbox XD

• WE ARE LEGION!

archerlife fTw

• The way I see it they play archer cause they got so many kills with melee got boring :I

• An skilled Archer on each team does add some strategy to the game, but when half of the players are Archers I usually just leave. Kinda pointless. Shot by the enemy team, and shot again by teammates trying to kill the opponent that I have been in honorable combat against.
    Personally, I’ll run right by 3 easy kills and ignore the objective just for a chance to get an Archer. Best is when you get him enough that he changes class and comes at me with a vengeance!
    Nothing personal…just can’t play while being hit from 50 yards out.

• @Gnarlydude:

An skilled Archer on each team does add some strategy to the game, but when half of the players are Archers I usually just leave. Kinda pointless. Shot by the enemy team, and shot again by teammates trying to kill the opponent that I have been in honorable combat against.
    Personally, I’ll run right by 3 easy kills and ignore the objective just for a chance to get an Archer. Best is when you get him enough that he changes class and comes at me with a vengeance!
    Nothing personal…just can’t play while being hit from 50 yards out.

Maybe get good with shield and Javelin?

• @giantyak:

Being good with javelin takes around 5 minutes of gameplay.

• I think the op mean’t 50% percent of weak ranked players. Most of these ranked Archer types just don’t cut it in combat tbh.
    They lack rudimentary skills close up. Most likely the 100’s of hours sniping/camping and shooting players already in
    combat. Lets simplify this thread to 2 simple facts. Number 1 Archers of this game are a clear sign of the weakest
    gamers ever encountered in fps gaming in the last 3 years. The Words Archer and Skill are not connect or related in
    Chivalry. Any person of my local street could sit at this pc and within 10 mins score 8 out of 10 kills with a bow in
    this game. Infact I have actually witnessed that here on one occasion last year as a non pc person was visiting.

My Advise to a ranked player or even unranked is remember the wise words to be spoken. As you hand reaches
    for some generic substandard brand of food or teabags, simply say to yourself or a friend
    "what are you an archer now.? " Often used in jest by myself and colleagues as a jibe.
    In the group of colleagues often if one does something silly the rest of us do the archer eye roll hehe
    tut tut.

• @giantyak:

To be honest, I’ve never lasted a whole round as an Archer. I can’t help running INTO battle rather than away. The clanging of parries, the thud of my mace hitting a helmet…that’s what I like. If an Archer keeps killing me with his +50% backstabbing I’ll switch to MaA for speed, but I have the most fun as a Vanguard or Knight.

• @VizualDeciple:

You guys talk about lvl 50’s on PC like they’re a common commodity. That’s frightening there are less than 10 in existence on Xbox XD

Well the game has been out a hell of a lot longer on PC.

• I’m so close! I’m on the homestretch to lvl 49. But back on topic….

You gotta admire the ability those guys have to hit a moving target, or landing a headshot from half way across the map (memories of hillside pyre: me on the hill and a lone maa running around the landing, he was only a tiny blue dot from my view) too bad I was using a mere light crossbow otherwise I would have lost my sh*t, It was only luck unfortunately… I could tell it was a headshot because when he was finally in identifiable range, he was bloody as hell. Finest moment I’ve ever had…(other than my first duck)

Rambling over.

• One more thing, I think the devs wanted the archers to be annoying so I see no reason to “nerf” them really. look at the personal/tactical messages:

“The archers over there!!!”
    “Find the archers!!!”
    “Kill those annoying archers!”
    “The archers! Kill them!”
    “KILL those archers!”
    “Aim for the sharpshooters!”
    “Look out for the bowmen!”
    “Archers! Take them out!”

You don’t see messages about the Vanguards or Knights ore even annoying MAA’s for that matter.

• The reason you don’t see messages about those other poor slobs is they were all killed by Arrows look at all those bodies.

• @INerevar:

Where is the consistency?

HA! Good one mate. Consistency mostly does not exist at all in Chiv.

To answer OP`s question from my standpoint:

Rank 52 now (1150h) and I mostly played Melee all the time. Knight to be specific.
    Knight (LS and GM)>>>>>> Vanguard > Maa >>>>> Archer

Lately I have become being annoyed by so many small bullshit things in the game on public TO servers though. Lag, Messer trade gamble meta, people N vs 1 you and all of them still feint spam the shit out of e.g. brandi, inconsistent ground or obstacle collision on weapons, kick, heavy crossbow and jav bullshit etc etc. The list goes on forever and I guess you all know what feeling I mean.

So I can either ragequit and be super annoyed or just switch to archer. Longbow bodkin, slingshot lead ball to be specific. And suddenly I don`t have to deal with any melee related bullshit anymore. Additionally every single hit, let it be a kill or not, feels so good. The hit feedback in this game is incredible. Also you can almost singlehandedly turn around the tides of the battle.

I have to clarifiy some things though. I am in Asia and can access 5 servers with a ping <100 if they are not too full. One of them is less than 50. And if there is no duelyard, LTS server or whatnot with “decent” people on it, I am out of luck and stuck with a 16 vs 16 lagfest of people cheesing the shit out of each other. Archer makes me still enjoy that fuckfest. The time I can actually play at all is very limited, too. Most of the days all the servers are completely empty

I do agree on pretty much everything that I read so far. It took me about 1000h to get to my current melee skill level and I can still not counter any “cheesy” tactic on duelyard consistently. 100h of archer gameplay turned me into a devastating monster though. Laid back gameplay with a high reward. Fuck crossbow and FUCK JAVELIN though. Pls just remove that.

Edit: As you know some people can be massive cunts in this game and ruin the fun for many people by being toxic, elitist about their own “skill” while they just cheese the shit out of their weapon. For example a rank 56 third person high fov claymore player feint spamming a rank 8 maa and insult him heavily. And I just love to be that archer to target him and ruin his game. Kind of an asshole move aswell tbh, but fuck it. They deserve it, don`t they? :P

• Global Moderator

You can become good as an archer easier then any other class thats for sure. Easiest kills again is easy for sure. But a monster archer at 100 hours is blatant ignorance.

This game in all aspects should be fun to you. As it is to me when i play any class. Getting shot by archers (in Australia there arent really any of the best archers left) still doesnt get me to that green hulk rage fest half of you guys are sitting at. It seems you are at that stage where the game isnt fun for you anymore which is a pitty for sure.

• @Lilboots:

You can become good as an archer easier then any other class thats for sure. Easiest kills again is easy for sure. But a monster archer at 100 hours is blatant ignorance.

Ever heard of exaggeration as a mean to emphasize a point? That`s what I did.

Regarding the rest you wrote, assuming you still refer to me, I get pissed off by the melee bullshit that sometimes goes on too much. Then I switch to archer. Game`s still 90% of the time fun as always. And that is, thanks to archer to a certain degree. A different playstyle after so much melee combat is refreshing.

• That Samurai Cat is staring into my soul, like he just identified his mortal enemy XD

• @Ser:

And if there is no duelyard, LTS server or whatnot with “decent” people on it, I am out of luck and stuck with a 16 vs 16 lagfest of people cheesing the shit out of each other.

Hey at least we have a duelyard server now :P

• @dudeface:

Hey at least we have a duelyard server now :P

Yes, sometimes :P
    I am playing right now but only 2

• lmao, i’m looking at like the first page of this post and how many fucking moderators? It’s like being a moderator is like being rank 50 in game (dime per dozen).

Anyway, archers are stupid.