Help! How to translate FFA skills into TO please

• Played level 1- ~25 in FFA, then duel mode released, played 25-42 in duel mode (8k duels), with multiple breaks in play, once over a year.

Closing in on 46 now really only playing FFA

Nearly every time I play TO, I under perform. When I play FFA I win about 1/3 to 1/2 of my games, and coming in near the top if I don’t win. Unless there are multiple rank 50+ in the game then I usually come in under them.

Anyway, TO bugs the hell out of me due to long down times between fighting and frequent death when reaching the objective. I’ve cared at all about KDA, that wasn’t a term when I started playing FPS, never been able to make myself care about it. Is that the key to TO success, low deaths?

I mostly play VG, sometimes MAA if the objective is far away and I feel like I can backdoor it somehow. Knight if fighting over a heavily contested moveable object like pushing a cart when you’re almost there.

What do successful TO players actually do? Like I always run straight to the objective and fight anyone nearby - that’s right, right?

• watch the flow of the battle and learn where/when to strike. you can help the objective indirectly. try to control territory so your teammates have a good basis for a push or defence. take up and spot and guard it. flank the enemy etc.

don’t worry too much about scoreboard placement.

stick with some teammates who know what they’re doing. rushing in alone will probably get you killed pretty fast.

and read The Art of War ;P

• Support.

Turn a 1v1 into a 2v1, cover flanks, make sure your team moves as a group to the objective, spam zz1, zz2, zz3 and z4 when you need to, tarpit for as long as possible when you’ve engaged 2+ enemies, combo break and parry for your team, learn to feint out your swings to avoid team damage, position yourself to avoid tagging friendlies, pressure with presence, zone and isolate players for your team, cover your archers so they can move up, zone the objective, tank an arrow for the guy on the ram, create space, the list is endless.

First and foremost though, learn to control yourself. Biggest thing with FFA/duel players is they have no idea how to fight with a team. It’s not just about controlling your swings, it’s about being patient and understanding that if you’re team is fighting and winning 2/3v1/2, they don’t need you pitching in with a zwei overhead that’s going to hit 3 people on its way through.

If you learn to fight well with people, people will want to fight with you. From there you can dismantle a pub TO with a group of 3-4 like minded players.

• Some sage advice above appears to cover it. Not sure what you mean by doing well. You can get high on the scoreboard doing objectives or fighting near an objective. You could get a high K/D ratio by being very picky on when you engage the enemy - but that is not going to use your full potential towards the team.

One good tactic is to identify the top players on the opposing team and look for opportunities to kill them while they are distracted by the canon fodder. Learn to tell them apart by their colors and weapon since only the few brave ones wear their gold or pink helms.

At the end of the day its about the team winning the map. If you do some modest flanking rather than engaging the next enemy you can do a lot more for the team by circling back, striking from behind - then you have a number of people to pick off the next opponent.

FFA is of course a completely different style, generally taking heavy van weapons and hitting two opponents fighting each other is all that is needed to top the scoreboard, it is very different from facing two opponents who are working together against you. A lot more strategic positioning and awareness of your surroundings is needed to avoid getting attacked at the same time.

• Xbox 360 player’s advice…if it matters:

I’ve found overtime that you get more points and leaderboard recognition being the spearhead or team player of the TO, whether guiding a cart or defending the king, than killing everything that moves like in FFA. Leave that for the blood thirsty looking for something to do, only kill what gets in your way. If there is too much in your way of the objective, retreat and wait for others to help or go tryhard as a knight or vanguard and wipe them all out (or take a couple with you before death so your team can mop up). Being an archer or a MAA with a fire pot can go a long way also, softening up opposition from range so your team can push them aside and complete and or defend the objective. That also gets you to the top cause the pressure is off of you and you can sit back and get kills or backstab if that’s your kind of party. Also like the others said watch your swings around others, do the opposite of what you would do in FFA.

Essentially TO is more about getting things done than killing. Seen people getting only a few kills but because they were instrumental in completing goals they were higher than someone with 30+ kills. But kills still do have a significant effect.

• Pretty good advice all around but I wanted to add quite a bit more. One of the main problems you will face is playing TO in a public servers, where it is not really well organized, much stupidity and TKs happen beyond your control. This is where having friends and or clan mates can really help out. The more you play with the same people the better you will get at playing as a team with them. Random pubs, this is much harder to do. But fortunately the community is small enough that if you play on a regular basis, you will run into the same players over time. Friend them up or join a clan. The organized play if very intense opposed to pub play.

Many things depend on the class you play and the intended roles for each class. Knowing these roles will help you tremendously if you employ them. Knights are the tanks and defenders, Vanguards are more the objective doers and support class for the knights. MAA are great hit and run objective flanks who firepot choke points and take potshots outside of the action of a melee furball. Archers (in vanilla are OP as hell) are total support class who should be anti archer, wounding the enemy at range and in the rear with the gear. Granted these roles change slightly during actual play.

Much of FFA can easily transfer into TO specially when you are out numbered defending an OBJ or if you get over extended. The main thing about fighting out numbered and they are teaming against you is selective target switching while stringing combos and great foot work, ducking and weaving trying to get the enemy to TK themselves. I usually go for the bloodiest player first or blow past the first one to hit the unexpecting enemy behind the first, ripping of a parry riposte from the first guy to attack the one behind him, only to do a 180 combo back into the first guy.

It is true that KDR is really irrelevant in TO if you win. Many times it is necessary to sacrifice to get an objective done like jumping down into a crowd of the enemy to break the door on “C” in dark forest. Most pub players will not sacrifice to get an objective done. I cannot tell you how many times I have single handed carried a team because I was the only one doing the objective. But if you are successfully doing the objective you will get kills and many time I am on top because of it.

Other things to note is to get to know the maps. Know where archer blinds are and ways to flank around the enemy unseen. Use the terrain to your advantage. Also learn to follow and fight off and around your teammates as this is crucial for support classes.

• @LongSun:

watch the flow of the battle and learn where/when to strike. you can help the objective indirectly. try to control territory so your teammates have a good basis for a push or defence. take up and spot and guard it. flank the enemy etc.

don’t worry too much about scoreboard placement.

stick with some teammates who know what they’re doing. rushing in alone will probably get you killed pretty fast.

and read The Art of War ;P

The Art of War, by Sun Tzu. Arguably the best book ever written. The lessons taught can be applied to every aspect of life. Should be required reading.

• Something no one has mentioned is use your microphone. It’s a lot easier than if teammates have to guess what you’re about to do. You can also call out Archer locations and superior opponents.

• @Gnarlydude:

Something no one has mentioned is use your microphone. It’s a lot easier than if teammates have to guess what you’re about to do. You can also call out Archer locations and superior opponents.

in PC Chiv no one can hear you scream.

• That’s the one area where the Xbox version is actually better.

IMO anyway. Oddly a lot of players don’t want voicechat in Chivalry for reasons that escape me.

• well, I don’t want to hear randoms. I go on TS for people that I know.

• @dudeface:

That’s the one area where the Xbox version is actually better.

IMO anyway. Oddly a lot of players don’t want voicechat in Chivalry for reasons that escape me.

Original release VOIP was enabled. It was horribly implemented and it barely worked at all. IF it was enabled properly with user names that popped up while talking, proper server/client admin to mute players or team only voip and it actually worked well without breaking up then yeah I would be all for it. It is a default feature in the UDK engine but you have to have a competent voip DEV team and TBS just isnt a big enough team to successfully pull it off.

• Maaaaan voice chat would be terrible in pubs. I’m not even that toxic, but the sheer amount of salt per second I could dish out with voip would be absurd.

• @LTTLWLF:

Maaaaan voice chat would be terrible in pubs. I’m not even that toxic, but the sheer amount of salt per second I could dish out with voip would be absurd.

Dude remember the team speak back in the day?

• @lemonater47:

Dude remember the team speak back in the day?

all I remember is some drunken irish guy. have disabled it ever since. :P