Favourite class…

• I ask because I care…

• wtf is a vanguard

PD: Knight of course 8-)

• Developer

Vanguard

Overview: This class offers a balance of power and speed. His weapons are primarily 2-handed and this offers him the benefit of range over most opponents in melee. He is an outside fighter that can hold his own against any other class in melee combat. Great for beginners the Vanguard isn’t truly vulnerable nor does it truly excel over any other class.

• @Tibberius:

Vanguard

Overview: This class offers a balance of power and speed. His weapons are primarily 2-handed and this offers him the benefit of range over most opponents in melee. He is an outside fighter that can hold his own against any other class in melee combat. Great for beginners the Vanguard isn’t truly vulnerable nor does it truly excel over any other class.

Heavy armor and a flail, its way manlier

• Yeah the vanguard is great, seems like a bit of a beefed up MAA, infact i’m not sure who would have the advantage in a straight fight.

• Developer

The vanguard is most similar to a crusader + Guardsman class.

• I’m looking forward to a much better Archer this time around.

• Developer

“Much Better” please feel free to help us figure out how to achieve that. And by archer do you mean longbowman, or all of the classes?

• I guess he means all of them.

What annoyed me the most with archers in aoch was the shotgunning, that was just wrong :P.

• @Blaine:

I’m looking forward to a much better Archer this time around.

Lead Quality Assurance

It is your job to make sure that long old post of yours about archers comes true!

• I was always annoyed by the archer’s firing animation. It can look like the player is only halfway through nocking the arrow when it comes flying at you.

• @Faranox:

It can look like the player is only halfway through nocking the arrow when it comes flying at you.

I learned that the hard way. You adjust pretty fast when there’s an arrow sticking out of your face.

As for me, I’m MANLY at Arms! Dancing around somebody untill they’re confused enough to let you kill them is the most chivalrous thing a man can do!

• @dragonfury:

I’m MANLY at Arms! Dancing around somebody untill they’re confused enough to let you kill them is the most chivalrous thing a man can do!

who needs plate armour and a warhammer to smash people heads? Not us. That’s who. :D

• who said i need that armor? i’d just run around with only a warhammer if i could

• @Vox:

who said i need that armor? i’d just run around with only a warhammer if i could

I just imagined a maa with warhammer/double axe damage.

Thanks for the epic mindfuck.

• Go archers!

• @Wingy:

@Blaine:

I’m looking forward to a much better Archer this time around.

Lead Quality Assurance

It is your job to make sure that long old post of yours about archers comes true!

@Tibberius:

“Much Better” please feel free to help us figure out how to achieve that. And by archer do you mean longbowman, or all of the classes?

Squire

:-?

Anyway I voted Vanguard before I knew what Vanguard meant, just because Vanguard is a cool as hell class name. You should change the other class names to be cool like Vanguard. (except the Archer because that’s so self explanatory it hurts)

• I had to leave for the time being as personal issues were getting in the way and it was not fair to remain on the team. I can no longer update ranks.

Well more specifically the Bowmen and projectiles, but as it’s all in one class now.

When I say much better, what I mean is more depth to the use of the weaponry rather than just a point, click, release and watch the arrow land in the exact same spot every time, which makes for static play and became ‘noob’ friendly in Age of Chivalry and more of an annoyance for the veteran players - I mean, there’s not many veteran players that would claim Archer as their favourite class is there?

There are several things that can bring more dynamism to the ranged combat to compete with the ever growing dynamism of the melee combat. One thing I had already mentioned in the dev area regarding aiming, but there are various other things that can be considered too to keep the player on their toes, such as changing wind factor which could have a small effect on projectile flight in outside areas which makes the player think and maybe even go as far as upgrading the draw weights of the bows as the player gains ranks which adds a bit of fun the levelling up process, so instead of starting out with a bow that has the same range 100 hours of gameplay later, you start out with one of less range. (I also think the Longbow had WAY too much range in AoC, you could practically put the point on a small head far away and you would hit the body - so most, if not all the time, horizontal aiming was usually always the same).

Similar complexities between ranged and melee is what I’m looking forward too is what I should say :D

• @Blaine:

I had to leave for the time being as personal issues were getting in the way and it was not fair to remain on the team. I can no longer update ranks.

Well more specifically the Bowmen and projectiles, but as it’s all in one class now.

When I say much better, what I mean is more depth to the use of the weaponry rather than just a point, click, release and watch the arrow land in the exact same spot every time, which makes for static play and became ‘noob’ friendly in Age of Chivalry and more of an annoyance for the veteran players - I mean, there’s not many veteran players that would claim Archer as their favourite class is there?

There are several things that can bring more dynamism to the ranged combat to compete with the ever growing dynamism of the melee combat. One thing I had already mentioned in the dev area regarding aiming, but there are various other things that can be considered too to keep the player on their toes, such as changing wind factor which could have a small effect on projectile flight in outside areas which makes the player think and maybe even go as far as upgrading the draw weights of the bows as the player gains ranks which adds a bit of fun the levelling up process, so instead of starting out with a bow that has the same range 100 hours of gameplay later, you start out with one of less range. (I also think the Longbow had WAY too much range in AoC, you could practically put the point on a small head far away and you would hit the body - so most, if not all the time, horizontal aiming was usually always the same).

Similar complexities between ranged and melee is what I’m looking forward too is what I should say :D

Lol I didn’t even realise that ranks and levels were being implemented and I’m an Alpha Tester! Wow.

• Ugh, I would hate inconsistency in aiming. Stronger arch on long range shots would be absolutely fine, but wind factors and all that… I just see it becoming way too unapproachable for a new player. Hell, when I first started playing AoC I thought projectile classes were useless because I could never hit shit due to the need to lead my shots. I didn’t touch an archer class seriously for months.

If you really want it to be more rewarding for veterans, improve the hitboxes. Make it so that dead center chest shots do good damage, head shots do heavy damage, and neck shots do extreme damage, while keeping major body shots average and limb shots low. So a new archer can still rack up damage as long as he’s hitting consistently, but a pro will be outright killing or seriously crippling players by hitting the most vital spots.