Flailing around

• Seeing as I rarely see anyone using the flails I decided to spend some time using one.
    It doesn’t have much range, and it seems like the windup takes forever, but it’s worth it. The overhead smash is devastating and the left swing has more reach than you’d think, if your footwork is good.
    The heater shield is just like the others when you have a sword equipped, but change to flail and you have a unexpected left hand “punch”.
    I know I’m causing some havoc with it when I see another player respawn with a flail in hand…
    Anyone else ever given it some time?

• Global Moderator

They are deceptive for sure. Reverse overheads and even reverse lmb are brutally quick for its size. They are fun as well.

Cutter used one for a game or two and did very well (as he always does) and its quite easily dragged as well. Especially the heavy lmb

• The tracers are broken and can bug out, causing your flail to simply ghost through your enemy. Far too unreliable to be used seriously, which is sad because they are fun.

• I read somewhere in these forums that the flail tracers are actually shaped like the letter “M”, which would account for that. Definitely a handicap, but by using left or right hand swings as needed instead of spamming R,R,R one can hold his own. Not a button mashing frenzy weapon.

• I believe that the heavy flail still got 0.35 second windup on the shieldpunch, it’s also really good at desyncing, it does it more than claymore.

• I think that all weapons desync at times. I’m sure some more than others, but I’ve been whacked by just about everything out there by it. Opponent gets halfway through windup then he’s finished his swing through my shield in a split micro-second.
    Anyway, today’s self-taught flail lesson was trying to start 3 hit combo just out of opponents range and wade in with momentum. Costs a lot of stamina but pulled it off a couple times. Definitely an attention getter.

• Flail’s inconsistent tracers is directly related to your FPS, too. Also, it struggles against fast weapons because of its poor wind ups and ranges. It can struggle against longer weapons, too. And it struggles with stamina.

But it’s mad fun and satisfying.

• @SOC:

Flail’s inconsistent tracers is directly related to your FPS, too. Also, it struggles against fast weapons because of its poor wind ups and ranges. It can struggle against longer weapons, too. And it struggles with stamina.

How is the 0.35 second windup slow? it’s faster than any other weapons except javelins which is the same speed.

• Global Moderator

@Xylvion:

How is the 0.35 second windup slow? it’s faster than any other weapons except javelins which is the same speed.

Says 0.45 on the spreadsheet.

• @lemonater47:

Says 0.45 on the spreadsheet.

Says 0.35 in the files.

• In any case, that’s only for the shield punch.

• @SOC:

Flail’s inconsistent tracers is directly related to your FPS, too. Also, it struggles against fast weapons because of its poor wind ups and ranges. It can struggle against longer weapons, too. And it struggles with stamina.

Yeah, mad fun and satisfying! I put in about half of my game session time in the last week using the Heavy Flail…and I’m ready to admit that it’s inferior to other weapons. Too bad, because it IS so satisfying. But I won’t just put it away forever…

• @Xylvion:

Only the stab is .45 and it’s short range makes it impossible for you to use against Norse, claymore, ect., and it’ll never reach an MaA/archer.

• @SOC:

Only the stab is .45 and it’s short range makes it impossible for you to use against Norse, claymore, ect., and it’ll never reach an MaA/archer.

In the open. If you can manage to crowd your opponent up against a wall or into a stairwell, a couple shield punches can initiate panic parry…I’ve been on both sides of THAT one!
    Seems like I’m seeing more flail use lately. Cool.

• Been working on juggling the Flail and Morning Star in the midst of combat. The difference in shield attacks and weapon speed seems to confuse opponents sometimes. With luck, it can be done subtly, and after a few Flail swings no one expects a quick poke in the eye.