Jump + Attack

• It would be cool if Jumping was more useful in combat. Just like in reality, I remember that jumping was often used by knight in an attempt to deliver a final blow : it was a high risk/reward attack.
    PLus it’s definitively epic to end a combat by jumping + overhead.
    Jump could also help you to get faster to a new position : just like in reality, jump could be faster executed.

Right now if you jump + attack you only get the risk : you are just easier to hit while in the air. It should also reward you : an attack bonus if overhead or maybe a speed bonus to the overhead strike, or maybe you could jump higher overall. Or anything else : whatever makes jump more useful in combat, I’ll take it. Post your suggestions.

Jump is something that was often used in duels, but in chivalry its only useful to get over obstacles. It would be epic to see it useful in specific situations in combat.

But it should be a high risk/reward maneuver only useful in specific situation (and it should also drain a lot of stamina) so that we don’t see a jump+attack spam-fest.

• I jump a lot in combat already.

• jumping down onto an opponent from a different level with an overhead attack feels soo badass 8-)

• I’ve jumped over attacks before, plus jump attacks can mix it up when trying to get around parries. I don’t think jumping needs to add any bonuses. I can see quick 1handed man-at-arms benefiting more from this kind of mechanic anyway.

• Just like in reality? :? Which reality would that be

• @Kwal:

Just like in reality? :?

Kwal, don’t just assume that jump = hollywood. I know sometimes the temptation to dismiss things as hollywoodish (to feel like an expert) is high, but don’t fall in that :) .

Yes, I’ve heard of A LOT of combat that ended with a jump+ attack

Ever heard of Miyamoto Musachi Vs Sasaki Kojiro? Their duel is considered the most epic that ever happened in japan, as they were both considered the greatest swordsman of their time. It’s what you could call a ‘‘dream’’ duel.
    And guess what? Musachi won by making a jump + attack.
    And no, it wasn’t exaggerated by folklore, it actually happened that way.

• @skippermonkey:

jumping down onto an opponent from a different level with an overhead attack feels soo badass 8-)

• @akarnir:

Ever heard of Miyamoto Musachi Vs Sasaki Kojiro? Their duel is considered the most epic that ever happened in japan.

I think you’ll find that accolade belongs to Godzilla vs Mothman

• Jumping overhead is very effective at breaking parry. They have to aim high to block it.

• @Andrew:

Jumping overhead is very effective at breaking parry. They have to aim high to block it.

Ah so that’s already a useful move. Ok so I’m settled. Thanks.

• You can also jump over low incoming blows. :)

@skippermonkey:

jumping down onto an opponent from a different level with an overhead attack feels soo badass 8-)

I killed a guy named “freefall” like that. It really made my day haha.

• I usually jump and overhead strike players charging at me, if you time it properly it is extremely destructive.

• Biggest bonus for me is that when you play against a defensive player, they can get confused when you jump and don’t see your attack, so don’t know when to parry either.

As for Akarnir, there are several things wrong with that example (and with your assumptions). But it’s really no use to discuss it in this thread and I was wrong to bring it up, if you want though we can discuss it elsewhere.

• I’m not opposed to this idea, but I don’t think it’s absolutely critical. A jumping overhand swing is very hard to block if your opponent is not expecting it.

• @akarnir:

@Kwal:

Ever heard of Miyamoto Musachi Vs Sasaki Kojiro? Their duel is considered the most epic that ever happened in japan, as they were both considered the greatest swordsman of their time. It’s what you could call a ‘‘dream’’ duel.
    And guess what? Musachi won by making a jump + attack.
    And no, it wasn’t exaggerated by folklore, it actually happened that way.

No, it was exaggerated by folklore. Samurai tales should ALL be taken with a grain of salt. Musashi was a good swordsman, yes. But he was also a tactician, and a politician essentially. He trumped himself up with rumors.

as for the tpic. I see a lot of MaA jumping. I have not done it yet, as I can never seem to get around shields, when attacks go straight through mine.

• This jumping business needs to disappear, it’s just plain silly. I have one of my members going around jump stabbing everyone, lol. I was trying to catch this stuff during Alpha, but it looks like we only got jumping whilst in an attack animation blocked, not actually starting the animation in mid-air.

• @Martin:

This jumping business needs to disappear, it’s just plain silly. I have one of my members going around jump stabbing everyone, lol. I was trying to catch this stuff during Alpha, but it looks like we only got jumping whilst in an attack animation blocked, not actually starting the animation in mid-air.

Party pooper :p.
    This should stay! Makes combat more exciting than the one in Age of Chivalry.

• Don’t make me start abusing it too Apple, I will do it just for you :P

• You can also jump and parry at the same time and it will bump you, which is quite useful.

• Martin, if you get jump attacks removed I will hate you forever. If anything just increase the stamina cost to jump.