Unlock system

• I just find the kill based unlocks are a detriment to teamplay as it rewards people for hanging back and waiting to kill steal. I would recommend it be done by damage inflicted with the weapon so that archers softening up the enemy and setting up enemies for your allies to kill are rewarded as well.

• I think it’d be much better if the system counted kills and assists, but it’s not likely to change now.

• I would prefer if they removed it completely, it’s just making me feel like I’m grinding instead of enjoying the gameplay. The “grindy feel” effects my enjoyment so much I’m on the urge of just quitting.

• Too hard to focus on the objective or help teammates while focused on unlocking something. Assists should count that way archers arent completely screwed.

• Not a fan of it at all. In fact, I hate these type of unlocks all together, as it punishes newer players to use the worse weapons, while everyone else is using the better ones. They really are not that balanced. Once you get the Halberd as the Vanguard, you need nothing else.

• The unlocks aren’t all that great anyway. I unlocked everything and I almost never use the unlocked weapons just because 80% of them suck. What I’m not too fond of is how the archer is the only class with weapons we can’t access yet. This to me is a tall tale sign that this game shouldn’t have been released due to it’s lack of completion.

• I don’t really like the unlock system either… Though if it was changed to make the weapons more balanced, I would love it. Right now, new players are fucked.

• @Oscar:

I would prefer if they removed it completely, it’s just making me feel like I’m grinding instead of enjoying the gameplay. The “grindy feel” effects my enjoyment so much I’m on the urge of just quitting.

+1. It doesn’t add anything to the game at all.

• It really just is one more thing that pulls people away from objective play on the maps that require it.

• It’s not necessary at all and the game would be better without it, though I disagree that new players are at a major disadvantage at the moment.

• @InsaneOne:

I just find the kill based unlocks are a detriment to teamplay as it rewards people for hanging back and waiting to kill steal. I would recommend it be done by damage inflicted with the weapon so that archers softening up the enemy and setting up enemies for your allies to kill are rewarded as well.

It’s never to late to change things. I love this idea.

• Rather have everything unlocked.

• I’ve never been a fan of unlocks either, hours of grind, it makes you feel like you’re wasting time if you’re not unlocking something.

• Instead of completely removing the unlock system… Why not have it go on a progression system per match? Where everyone starts off with the beginner weapons, but gains access to the higher weapons as they progress through the match (Either by kills, assists, or completing objectives!)
    That way, the Unlock System is still there, but, everyone basically starts at square 1 in the beginning of the match. The amount of kills/points would obviously have to be lowered if switched to a system like this.

• @dasdragon08:

Instead of completely removing the unlock system… Why not have it go on a progression system per match? Where everyone starts off with the beginner weapons, but gains access to the higher weapons as they progress through the match (Either by kills, assists, or completing objectives!)
    That way, the Unlock System is still there, but, everyone basically starts at square 1 in the beginning of the match. The amount of kills/points would obviously have to be lowered if switched to a system like this.

For a long time MB2 (a JKA mod) used a similar approach.
    However people eventually got tired of it - I don’t think it’d be any different in Chiv.

Also I don’t envy having to deal with the clunky load-out configuration screen frequently to see if I’ve gained access to the next weapons tier.

• @Oscar:

I would prefer if they removed it completely, it’s just making me feel like I’m grinding instead of enjoying the gameplay. The “grindy feel” effects my enjoyment so much I’m on the urge of just quitting.

I think its great that they did this, cause if you wanted so badly to get a messer sword for example, that would mean that you would have to play with the other weapons before unlocking it, thus you can learn how to fight with other weapons aswell.

Its also much easier for a newcommers to start out with a game if they only start with a few weapon of choice, so that they don’t get the entire weaponary thrown at their face and their are like O_O “I dunno which one to master.” Also its a great contribution to the developers, because some weapons are still broken, and with us grinding through them, we can notify them about it.

• I don’t know how this is such a big deal. I don’t really like how it’s so simple you just kill to get new weapons. But it’s fine how it is, it does not take long to unlock the weapons.

• i think that the unlock system needs to be removed, the unlock system in it current state encourages people to focus on kills rather than doing the objective

• @swe1psycho:

i think that the unlock system needs to be removed, the unlock system in it current state encourages people to focus on kills rather than doing the objective

No offense, but there is other game modes that only require killing so how would you unlock stuff there?

• @wildwulfy:

Also its a great contribution to the developers, because some weapons are still broken, and with us grinding through them, we can notify them about it.

The counter point to that is that the higher tier weapons have had far less testing because fewer people have access to them.

I for one have no idea how the 2nd or 3rd tier javelins perform because I’ll be damned if I’m going to grind through melee kills using a ranged weapon.
    Same goes for the useless daggers; the poorly balanced top tier dagger for archers might not have been so poorly balanced if it’d been thoroughly tested.
    As-is I bet <1% of the player base is going to bother grinding through such a ridiculous number of melee kills as an archer in order to unlock it.

Unlock systems were invented in the console market as a cheap way of extending the life span of games that might otherwise be panned for being too short.
    They’re completely out of place on a PC game such as Chiv.
    I resent the fact that unlock systems require me to earn the right to play with content that I have already paid to access.

Do us a favour and get rid of it.