FOV and 3rd Person Tryhards.

• My biggest and ‘baddest’ grievance with this game and it’s players is this…

Many high-level players, especially on third person servers, use increased FOV with console commands with values of up to 150 or perhaps more. This inherently causes a massive imbalance in the game.

Players with this increased FOV are easy to spot in their ‘dancing’ and kiting. While knowing weapon lengths and kiting the enemy is a valid tactic, it gets ridiculous with increased FOV.
    To me this is meta-gaming, I don’t believe this is what TB studios intended. These players can become almost unstoppable, usually vanguard.

On first person servers it isn’t so much of an issue, but it still provides a clear advantage in situational awareness over those with FOV settings of 100-120.

To balance this it’s simple… Can’t we have a hard-cap of 120 FOV? Or to disable the console command?
    I am certainly not alone in this, and I’d be willing to even start a petition to get this resolved.

• I’d just like to add that without balance, I feel like the EU community is stagnating.
    Sure, given the free-weekends and cross-game content there are many of new players joining the community, which I’m very happy about… However I know many players, old and new, who refuse to play Chivalry any longer because of this issue.

• Another gamer who fully agree’s with me about fovs hehe. I stated in a recent post here or on steam that at high fov
    this game is so easy , why I can read war and peace with time to easily kill a foe. Every move is so readable its tragic.
    90 fov in first since day of game release that’s me tbh. A near 50 rank knight class only ever.

• @loin:

Another gamer who fully agree’s with me about fovs hehe.

Glad to hear it, it totally changes the game mechanics. It’s one of the reasons I prefer first person servers. The combat in first person servers is generally a lot more satisfying.

• At this moment, I’m sitting alone, twiddling my thumbs in one of few EU first person servers, hoping to populate it!

• Well I play on any servers , usually I just lazily toy about with the toony players or somedays kill a few hehe.
    the rank 50 plus walt disney movies types often stalk me after a good editing session with my sword of war tbh.
    Cut that scene hehe. Just hop in to Quality street if you want to join a primary chivalry group or sword even
    well knight veterans usually

• 3rd-person is the worst.

• 18player TO 1stP only UK servers when?

• @dudeface:

3rd-person is the worst.

Ah…… PC chiv players. Your guy’s 3rd person settings are broken. 3rd person on console is the way to go. Dragging is better, matrixing is better, rainbows are better, even feignting is better, not to mention it’s easier to read feint (because we can’t change FOV) only disadvantage is not being precise with stabs and overheads and if someone is face hugging u can’t always see their sword (switch to first person temporarily).

• I appreciate everyone taking time to reply, however… This topic has nothing to do with consoles.
    I truly want to talk to a TB representative about this.

I believe it to be a HUGE flaw in the game when abused, as it so often seems to be.

• you could send them an email from this site tbh

• Let’s be honest, they’re not going to change the FOV or remove 3rd person at this point.

• I think there should be a Chivalry 2 wish list thread. The game has been out for 3 years and the kiddies have had their toys too long and if you were to take these toys away,the crying you would hear would be over bearing.

That being said however I agree with the OP, mechanics like a massive fov that allows a knight to block attacks he technically should not be able to see is patently ridiculous and unrealistic. I mean they wear thin slit visors in metal armor and it’s impossible to get the drop on them is over the top. The same rainbow attacks, I mean if knights at Agincourt suffocated because they went face first in the mud and couldn’t get up,that how could a fully armored knight contort his body in that way with out falling backwards ? 3rd person as well should go. Dragging itself defies the laws if physics, you need the weight of the weapon combined with the momentum to do real damage. Feinting I can see as a legit tactic in game, not in it’s current form however, I can see feinting as a way to lightly hurt and stun you opponent. Think of a full powered overhead on an opponent versus, a swing where you half way stop then hit them after the feint. The momentum from that overhead will hurt much more then a half swung hit that lacks the momentum.

I understand you can’t go for full realism, some things need to be as they are for the sake of balance, like a dagger wielding archer winning a fight versus a fully armored ,maul wielding knight. That goes out of the sphere of realism, but game mechanics that are unrealistic and not for the sake of balance , should have no place in future games hopefully.

• I concur with your post Oilystool. I’m afraid if TB don’t sort these things out by their next instalment, another more realistic game will take it’s place, perhaps even take the melee-brawl crown.

Thanks for the input.

• @Oilystool:

I mean if knights at Agincourt suffocated because they went face first in the mud and couldn’t get up

Is this actually historically proven or just a halftruth or story? I ask that because there is a world-wide spread myth of the immobile, slow, turtle-like Knight who can barely use his equipment because of it`s sheer weight. Which is completely wrong. They were in fact very agile for what they were carrying. Just look at it with common sense. Armours were made to survive on a battlefield. So they naturally provided the best mix between agility, protection, vision etc. In which ratio depended on the situation and preferences (fighting style etc). Additionally, Knights have been trained in Mortal Combat (pun intended) gradually lead to using full plate armour and steel weapons since they have been kids.
    I recommend this channel for everyone interested in such stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIjGKyrdT4Gja0VLO40RlOw

As for the feint mechanic. Great idea mate! Would destroy the current fast weapon stab feint meta such as SoW, Clay, Pole imo. Would also render feinting into a more risk-reward thing, with the reward not being so extremely high with damn high chance of a possible positive outcome for the feinting party.

On topic of the FOV capping and 3rd person removement, I agree as well. Too many times I have had to fight off Messer Mongrels crouching all the time to abuse the block hitbox with a FOV of at least 145 to get a good round view (even in 1st person) attack gambling basically only behind their own back. Same goes for high-fov (3rd person) polearm vanguards. The reach and knockback of e.g. a halberd or sometimes even bardiche combined with 3rd person and reverse attack gambles is only fightable with a lot of patience, a high frustration limit or you using the same cheap ass tactics.
    But don`t cap it to 90, rather 120.

• @Ser:

Is this actually historically proven or just a halftruth or story? I ask that because there is a world-wide spread myth of the immobile, slow, turtle-like Knight who can barely use his equipment because of it`s sheer weight. Which is completely wrong. They were in fact very agile for what they were carrying. Just look at it with common sense. Armours were made to survive on a battlefield. So they naturally provided the best mix between agility, protection, vision etc. In which ratio depended on the situation and preferences (fighting style etc). Additionally, Knights have been trained in Mortal Combat (pun intended) gradually lead to using full plate armour and steel weapons since they have been kids.
    I recommend this channel for everyone interested in such stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIjGKyrdT4Gja0VLO40RlOw

its based on some articles and this documentary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LVuVtP_xepU

They wanted to see if the longbow was the deciding factor in the victory ,which it wasn’t. It boiled downed to 3 things. First the battle field was basically a funnel towards the English line which created a massive cluster fuck to move through, the second was the mud, it rained the night before and the mud in Agincourt was of a type that when it made contact with armor, it stuck to it so much they if you fell into it, the suction effect it created made it impossible to pull a leg or a whole body out of the mud. Lastly it was unarmored horses hit by arrow which sent many knights into the mud.

Granted I agree that knights in armor were much more mobile then we imagine, but I still say no way anyone could pull off a move like a rainbow attack. I dont think it’s realistic and I hope if there is a Chiv 2 it’s taken out.

• Global Moderator

Reverse overhead.

I’ll tell you what, you stand behind me, I’ll get a big stick and then swing it as an overhead. You tell me if it hurts or not. If it does hurt a reverse overhead is possible.

Also at agincourt archer melee killed everyone. At crecy the French all tripped over their horses and murdered their own archers. And at verneuil the cavalry bowled the English over, all left and then the English stood up again, charged forward archers and all murdering everyone. Then the French used guns and won the whole war.

• Global Moderator

Well im fairly high ranked and play on a 85 FOV, i have also tried all the way upto FOV 140. TBH; concerning reverse over heads and weapon distance, i had no trouble versing or using high FOV settings. if you stick with one you will eventually get used to it, the only upside is the slightly larger peripheral vision. not meta-gaming in my opinion

• @lemonater47:

Reverse overhead.

I’ll tell you what, you stand behind me, I’ll get a big stick and then swing it as an overhead. You tell me if it hurts or not. If it does hurt a reverse overhead is possible.

Also at agincourt archer melee killed everyone. At crecy the French all tripped over their horses and murdered their own archers. And at verneuil the cavalry bowled the English over, all left and then the English stood up again, charged forward archers and all murdering everyone. Then the French used guns and won the whole war.

Who said anything about it hurting or not, it may be possible but come on how plausible is it? I mean its possible that knights would do commando rolls followed by stabs but is it really plausible as a military tactic at the time? I mean come on,its ridiculous and not really defend-able to say,“well Knights could have done it”. Knights could have done many things,but because they could, doesnt mean that they did.

• Very good Mr Lilboots fov 85 tbh. I recall last month playing at fov 80 by acident after being stuck in the editor for
    so many hours I forgot to put my fov back to 90. Infact even at fov 80 I managed to win one match of ffa in a pub
    server.

• Global Moderator

@Oilystool:

Who said anything about it hurting or not, it may be possible but come on how plausible is it? I mean its possible that knights would do commando rolls followed by stabs but is it really plausible as a military tactic at the time? I mean come on,its ridiculous and not really defend-able to say,“well Knights could have done it”. Knights could have done many things,but because they could, doesnt mean that they did.

Well blocking Attacks from behind was a thing. Don’t know about reverse overheads. There were backwards stabs though.