My view on the Messer.

• I was getting horribly spawn killed in Cistern (TD) and was trying different loadouts to break free, and decided to do the same as everyone else- wildly swing the Messer.
    Surprise, at the end of the Battle I had a pretty good score. (For me…)
    I used it a bit when I first unlocked it, but at the time I was intent on unlocking all Knight weapons so I went on to other things.
    I think that the power and almost guaranteed hit trades make this sword one of the more OP weapons in the game, but to me it’s lack of style leaves me unsatisfied. Great tool to raise your score, but I just don’t get the joy out of it like other weapons.
    I am often remembered by my Flail, admittedly an inferior weapon. I don’t get the number of kills, and I die a lot, but I get more of a sense of accomplishment out of my fewer kills with it then the higher score by Messer.
    I put the Messer in the same category as the heavy crossbow. Inglorious.

• From what I’ve seen so far, people just wildly swing with every weapon. Messer does it well, but isn’t guaranteed hit trades. People will eventually learn to FTP I hope. I’m unsure of how the console vets play, but I’ve not encountered anyone that effectively uses overheads or stabs. Until they do, messer and most of the vanguard weapons will be king.

• Feint to parry? People do it all the time…… if u know how u can force trade hits with the Messer pretty easily

• There are a few that stab and overhead very smoothly in their combos, and they are pretty vicious in their damage…I’m working on keeping back out of the way once they get going.
    I personally think that the slower weapons take a bit more skill than the faster ones because you can’t just spam r swing and hope for the best. I haven’t used the 2hand axe or Maul much, but in the right hands they are wonderfully destructive. Hard to master, I usually miss my swing and the opposition just steps in and slices me up.
    Nothing stops a leaping Vanguard like a sidestep stab…except once in awhile I can overhead Flail him out of the air.

• @Firecracker999:

Feint to parry? People do it all the time…… if u know how u can force trade hits with the Messer pretty easily

I honestly haven’t seen anyone besides myself use it. Or cftp. And it helps prevent trades because you can stop your attack and parry theirs instead of trading. You can force trades with every weapon at the moment because literally 90% of players have no concept of footwork, spacing or anything besides slash spamming.

• @Naleaus:

I honestly haven’t seen anyone besides myself use it. Or cftp. And it helps prevent trades because you can stop your attack and parry theirs instead of trading. You can force trades with every weapon at the moment because literally 90% of players have no concept of footwork, spacing or anything besides slash spamming.

Im pretty sure the entire competitive community can ftp and cftp

• @FG:

I haven’t seen anyone with clan tags yet. Either US East isn’t popular with them or not enough. Either way, I need some challenge soon

• @FG:

Exactly. I was surprised by that remark…… lots of people do but most people don’t if that makes any sense. Some people that use Messer don’t care if they hit trade. Their whole fighting style is dependent on strategic trades

• Messer is a powerful weapon, even on pc.

Messer is more accustomed to xbox due to the high amount of hitrades you will experience naturally you will want the higher damage to be dealt to the other person. Which is why the messer is favored. I prefer the SoW and the long sword due to personal reference but the messer will be brought out if necessary. :D

• I prefer the long sword…… I prefer adaptability over being great at only certain tactics. Messer can drag way better then the long sword and hit trade but I’ve always had more success with the long sword. Also the SOW is a much better weapon in next gen than it was in 360. U can get people off balance pretty easily with it

• +Messer is the last bastard sword you unlock. Making alot of people think its the best “end game” kind of weapon tbh.

• Banned

@Gnarlydude:

There are a few that stab and overhead very smoothly in their combos, and they are pretty vicious in their damage…I’m working on keeping back out of the way once they get going.
    I personally think that the slower weapons take a bit more skill than the faster ones because you can’t just spam r swing and hope for the best. I haven’t used the 2hand axe or Maul much, but in the right hands they are wonderfully destructive. Hard to master, I usually miss my swing and the opposition just steps in and slices me up.
    Nothing stops a leaping Vanguard like a sidestep stab…except once in awhile I can overhead Flail him out of the air.

If you think small fast weapons take less skill I pitty you x.x

• I don’t think that lol.

• @Zian:

U have to be able to keep attacking with them. If you miss once and they swing in its near impossible to come back from

• One parry means you have no stamina then you die with a dagger. xD

• Banned

Its all about running circles around them, and if you get hit once you die. To win you have to hit them in the head 50 times in a row.

• @Zian:

Perhaps I didn’t phrase that quite right…small weapons definitely have drawbacks, mostly range and damage. However, I think missing a strike with the Norse Sword- for instance- doesn’t leave me as open to getting hit as bad as missing with the Maul.
    Again, I’m speaking of my personal fighting style .

• Anyways Zian. Would you prefer to use a messer or a Zweihander?

• Banned

Probably messer on the fact that zwei feints are easier to read. Other wise I would use zwei if I was fighting unskilled hordes.

• Banned

@Gnarlydude:

Perhaps I didn’t phrase that quite right…small weapons definitely have drawbacks, mostly range and damage. However, I think missing a strike with the Norse Sword- for instance- doesn’t leave me as open to getting hit as bad as missing with the Maul.
    Again, I’m speaking of my personal fighting style .

Everything is based around your playstyle/playstyles. If someone plays as a vanguard with a greatsword and always uses a spin around attack to kill their enemies, when they swap to a man at arms and they spin around for that attack they will just instantly die. You have to adjust your tactics accordingly to become a good player. Everything has its drawbacks and advantages and while some weapons are overall better it doesn’t change the fact that the only way to effectively use different weapons is to change the way you fight every weapon. From maul to hunting knife.