Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Patch 45

• Archers are OP and frustrating to go against because it’s not your fault if you get shot. Think about it, in melee combat it is ALWAYS your fault if you died. You COULD have done something to stay alive.

If you get shot by an archer? That’s luck. You can do the best dodge pattern possible and the archer can still get lucky or just be good enough to shoot you, and there’s nothing you could do about it. That isn’t fun. Archers need a damage nerf.

• To be fair, Archer’s excel at being archers (Role wise) in TO and in LTS. I completely agree with them being the scourge of the Earth in FFA or TDM.

But Archers have a role to play, and they do it well, just as each other class does.

The Problem with nerfing Archer damage, is it becomes an unplayable class if you make it take 3-4 shots, 2-3 from the heavier weapons. Hits are rare as is.

Archers are OP? I don’t believe this claim, I’ve never seen an Archer go like 64/10 or like 32/0. Not even one time. Its always a meh amount of kills, usually the same amount of deaths, and then assists based on accuracy.

• I’ve seen archers with similar scores. Though usually that’s because the teams are stacked.

• @lemonater47:

I’ve seen archers with similar scores. Though usually that’s because the teams are stacked.

Exactly, Archers also help alleviate the talent. Having that bit of high unblock-able (Shield Excluded) damage helps growing talent, as well as new players stand a chance in hell with some of these juggernauts.

• lol arguments from archers that archers aren’t OP. Tune into me streaming TO pubs one day. No, I do not claim to be the best player in the world, nowhere near it. Maybe not even good, period. Every single time I play archer, I sicken myself. I will get #1-#3 every time damn near, at least near the top. Maul knights, zweis be damned I will top the board with a longbow and a shortsword. Can fucking talk to everyone and maybe eat a sandwhich while shooting people and laughing at their attempts to kill me.

Melee sucks for archers? are you lit? I can probably top the scoreboard of a pub with archer shortsword alone, no use of bow.

Archers are balanced? Tell me how that is when they are the only class that there was a server limit placed upon them because this was the solution rather than nerfing them? Tell me you were around before this existed and see people picking as many archers as they want per team. What you get is a team full of 50-100 percent archers, and no that is not an exaggeration. That is what happens.

2-3 + shots landed is too much to ask of the ez mode archer class? Please. They have a role and it should be supportive, not dominating and virtually unkillable by melee classes.

situational awareness? shields, smoke. Please. After 4000+ hours in this game, i’ve learned one thing. NONE of that shit matters when you’re talking about archers. Every new player comes to this forum defending archers and their shit is completely stupid and it’s simply defending a class that is loved by many either with or without the understanding of how powerful the class actually is. What I believe is that you are so used to playing on the defending team, and in this case - attacking archers are typically just not as much of a threat. If you’re always defending (which archer mains typically always play), it’s not a fair comparison to make in your mind. Defense allows you to set up, see things coming. Attacking you’re just running into a firing squad.

Furthermore, it doesn’t really matter if you equip shield, smokepots, dodge duck dip dive dodge - doesn’t matter. As archer, all you really have to do is target people fighting, simple as that. There is literally nothing they can do about you shooting at them… NOTHING. They parry, their character stops briefly, free hit. Your teammate parries their attack, free hit. Charge attack from vanguard gets parried, free hit. Oh you have a shield? You have to swing sometime right? Opens your shield wide up. Wearing it passively? Hit the front. Smoke fades, dodges are predicable, and teammates exist for the archer to hide behind.

What else? Do they not do enough damage? The majority of bows for typical attacks landed (chest,head) are doing anywhere from 50%-100% damage to 4/4 classes, including the knight. Knight being the most armored - what weapons do this damage to knight? Gmace, zwei, dubaxe, maul, polehammer, poleaxe. All heavy hitting melee weapons is what it takes to do the damage archers do from an unhittable range (unless of course you are an archer). Archers are only really counterable by other archers. Every other class can counter each other, but archers only can truly say they can counter archers.

realistic? maybe. Is this a game? yes. Should games be balanced? Probably. Are archers balanced? no. Should something be done? yes. How long has this tyranny been going on? 3+ years. When does it need to stop? now.

So what else is there to argue about?

• @Krosis:

Exactly, Archers also help alleviate the talent. Having that bit of high unblock-able (Shield Excluded) damage helps growing talent, as well as new players stand a chance in hell with some of these juggernauts.

shitty argument “I am new, so i need something to allow me to kill experienced players”.

nerfing archers would not be an end all be all for the class, at least it shouldn’t if done right. There are ways to indirectly nerf archers without crippling their damage entirely. Reducing the damage by some to reduce htk would be good. Increasing health regeneration so that melee can at least recover and get back into the fight more quickly is another. Archers used to have a backstab bonus, removing that was absolutely necessary. Increasing reload time of crossbows, the light crossbow should not reload that fast for what it does, absolutely psychotic decision on torn banner’s part.

And many other things could be done while still maintaining a playable, functional class.

don’t stand a chance against “juggernauts”. Then stay away from them, or use a claymore. Do what I do, I know the higher level players, and if I don’t i can see by the way they move if they know what they’re doing or not. Attack them when they’re vulnerable or just stay away. Use your teammates as fodder to kill them. Keep to those you can fight, or go to low rank servers. Above that, experienced players SHOULD be killing you. That’s how games work. That’s how life works. You don’t beat a grandmaster at chess without learning the game and practice, and you shouldn’t expect to

• Lol well when the teams get inevitably stacked in TO, ‘just stay away from them’ loses you the game.

I can see nerfing the faster bows/xbows damage/speed wise. As it is kind of absurd. However, leave the Heavy Xbow and the War bow relatively alone. I personally use the War Bow.

Even light javelins do copious amounts of damage, but also have significantly less ammo. I could see them taking a LIGHT damage nerf.

But yeah, I can certainly see why nerfing the short bow, normal bow, and light cross bow is necessary, too much speed. Similar to the damn Claymore, just the claymore is melee, and blockable. I’m not saying archer doesn’t have SOME OP weapons. But not all archers abuse the shit out of them.

• The slower projectile speeds at launch made the class a bit harder to play if you ask me. I thought that helped cut down on the “easy” part of the class. Good players could still overcome this (and they did), but random people picking up the shortbow or heavy javs would generally get demolished by the difficulties in using it. Instead, currently almost anyone can use the light xbow and demolish teams with it. On defense OR offense, it’s just brutal.

I also really want the class cap to get lifted, and the class needs to be reasonable enough for that to happen. People shouldn’t get turned away from what they want to play in pubs. The cap is just such a lame compromise, I have no other way to describe it.

also welcome to tornbanner.com, me!!! you’d think I’d register before I’d already been playing for three years!!!

• Kill those archers? Personally I’ve always looked at it like this: poor class with no shield I might actually play you if I didn’t want to be dodging arrows all day and being a pincushion. That is why you play knight and backshield for days.

Class needs to have a shield so I can get those archers.

• @Irish:

Kill those archers? Personally I’ve always looked at it like this: poor class with no shield I might actually play you if I didn’t want to be dodging arrows all day and being a pincushion. That is why you play knight and backshield for days.

Class needs to have a shield so I can get those archers.

there are some really dense people out there.

Yes, after all the deliberation, we have decided collectively as a community that shields are the answer! please give the vanguard a shield, then the 3 non-archer classes have shield, and all will be right with Chivalry. As stated by everyone that’s played this game before, shields are the #1 best way to defend yourself against archers and are a foolproof tactic in blocking arrows.

Thank you Irish for bringing that enlightenment to the table. Torn banner, please, no further discussion necessary. What we need is a shield for the vanguard, not actual archer balance please and thank you.

• Sounds good.

• @Krosis:

I’m not saying archer doesn’t have SOME OP weapons. But not all archers abuse the shit out of them.

Abuse archer weapons? You mean firing at people across the map?

• Revert projectile speeds, add slight aim sway or “locking in” similar to Sling on crossbows and javelins so you can’t just quickscope people. Reduce archer backwards and sideways move speed slightly so they don’t run circles around even Vanguards. They’re basically MaA when it comes to footwork, and daggers/shortsword are legit as fuck weapons. Make these changes and archer is suddenly much more skill based, and they can have projectile flinch and old Warbow back.

• Or let me throw a zweihander at hitscan speed in their face, 1htk, maybe that would be balanced. Or make the smoke pot kill archers, lets say they all get cancer and die, its realistic.

• @Vanguard:

smoke pot kill archers, lets say they all get cancer and die, its realistic.

Smoke pot, kill archers?
    Or are you saying archers who smoke pot get cancer and die, it’s realistic?

Too ambiguous tbh

• Smoking pot cures cancer. Smoke pots cause cancer. Very inconvenient to confuse.

• smoke pot, kill archers.

• @50ShadesofClay:

there are some really dense people out there.

Yes, after all the deliberation, we have decided collectively as a community that shields are the answer! please give the vanguard a shield, then the 3 non-archer classes have shield, and all will be right with Chivalry. As stated by everyone that’s played this game before, shields are the #1 best way to defend yourself against archers and are a foolproof tactic in blocking arrows.

Thank you Irish for bringing that enlightenment to the table. Torn banner, please, no further discussion necessary. What we need is a shield for the vanguard, not actual archer balance please and thank you.

I want you to tell me, where in Irish’s post, did he say that all classes should have a shield of some kind?

He didn’t. He said Knights can use shields quite easily without having to hinder themselves, and can use the shield to prevent being shot in the back, as well as advance on and kill the Archers.

MAA can use their shield to easily gap close too, sure, there is always the risk of getting intercepted, or getting shot in the feet or the head.

• @Krosis:

or getting shot in the feet or the head.

Now you understand it, there is nothing you can do to avoid getting destroyed by a arrow in this game.

• @Krosis:

I want you to tell me, where in Irish’s post, did he say that all classes should have a shield of some kind?

I think Clay was being sarcastic. If he was he was more or less saying: Shield’s are great and all (sarcasm) but that’s not excuse not to balance OP archer (serious)

I like the part where he calls me enlightened though even if it is sarcastically.