Footmen Equivalent Weapons

• Well, jut thought I’d bring up the subject of footmen’s weapons. So the sword, mace e.t.c What do people think tie the current ones? Hoping the halberd’s going to behave more like an actual halberd, which would be faster stabbing attacks at range, rather than the very slow hugely powerful attack we have currently. Hopefully it’ll also have a better parry as if used properly the halberd is an exceptionaly efficient defensive weapon. As I’m a member of a re-enactment society I have myself been taught how to use a halberd using period techniques, and having held of a couple of swordsmen at a time I have seen first hand what a defensive weapon it can be.

Axe and shield anyone? Support this if you think it’s a good idea. There was too few axes by far in AoC, lets see this rectified.
    Spear and sheild, not too disimilar to the current jav, but without the throwing weapons and with a heavier spear.
    Double Axes? I can see no other possible outcome, nuff said.

• Yea, these are definitely cool. I hope each class lets you chose weapons and mix em however you want if thats possible. That would be way more awesome than predefined classes with specific weapons.

Of course each class will have different weapons available for the players to pick.

• Developer

@-Slash-:

Yea, these are definitely cool. I hope each class lets you chose weapons and mix em however you want if thats possible. That would be way more awesome than predefined classes with specific weapons.

Of course each class will have different weapons available for the players to pick.

:mrgreen:

• @Tibberius:

O hai there.

• Tibb’s trollin’! :roll:

• I think he laughed at me for having high expectations……

• That bastard… :O

Anyways, I want to see a scythe!

• I always wanted to see a proper spearman class as spears were some of the most common medieval weapons.

Heavier than the javelineer and without the ranged ability. Though perhaps allow the spear to be thrown at which point you fight with sword and shield.

:lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzjn39V9 … re=related

• spears weren’t designed to be throwns, but javelins were. i think footmen will have to chose his weapons wisely.

• @Sir:

I always wanted to see a proper spearman class as spears were some of the most common medieval weapons.

Hell yeah cuz i love being javelineer and running at the melee with my crappy armour 15 and piece of spikey wood and getting loads of ‘wtf is this noob duin?’ looks from the enemy knights before I stab em twice and then they’re dead :D .

But if we’re still unsure can you plz make shield optional?

Also I can see a banner bearer on the chivalry portal page-can we have them in the game and would they do anything?

• I always enjoy using polearms to support my allies in Warband, perhaps that will become viable in Chivalry as well.

• @Sir:

I always wanted to see a proper spearman class as spears were some of the most common medieval weapons.

The attack speed of the “spartan” class would need to be really slow to balance for its range/damage. Might need a delay in blocking due to retracting the spear too.

Or just a really long 2 handed spear with insane range and slowest attack in the game.

• “Revived Thread is Revived”

Yeah, would be very cool to see a heavier version fo the AoC javalin class. The attack should be of moderate speed and damage, with the increased range and a fairly fast defence speed; but not after an attack as it would leave you open after a full thrust as it would leave your flank exposed.

He should also have a small sword or hatchet, as did most medieval spearmen, so when the enemy is close he can switch out to that for less damage but more flexability.

• Hells yeah to me javelineer was screwed once one sprinting guy ran at him and guardsmen was just too slow to be used without focusing on 1 type of attack (and it won’t be slashing so constantly stabbing anyone within a lagg distance of a mile would be it)

• I think this would be really interesting were it implemented. I mean, its going to take a lot of practise to be able to consistently strike if you’re using a 10 foot pole with say a 2 inch (width) spike. Yet the rewards for someone able to do this would be endless.

The problem is would people moan about it being too hard and blame this on a balance issue, when it was really just a ‘in reality this would probably take a lot of skill’ so we made it this way. I imagine this class would be instantly balanced against say a man at arms, because the M-A-A has speed whereas the polearms bearer would have a distant strike advantage and it would be down to the players themselves to decide who wins the fight. Yet I feel that it would take a lot of tweaking to make this class balanced against say a knight. Where speed and strike range would go to the polearms I imagine.

• You are forgetting however, that there were also quite a number of polearms used by knights them selves, so range may not be an issue. The range on the spear may or may not be that long as well; if it was a shorter, heavier stabbing spear, as opposed to a longer pike, then the ranger would be shorter and a lot easier to aim. A longer pike on the other hand, is very deadly and easily aimed in the qudrant imediately in front of you, however aiming anywhere else is very hard. In a tightl long corridor you’d be unbeatable, but on the open field on your own you’ll die very quickly.

• Alex is right pikes are only really effective if used in a massive wall on an open plain (greek hoplites or english civil war) whilst any drafted man-at-arms could twirl a pointed stick with enough training.
    btw can we open this topic up too other classes? because for an archer would a long knife for ramming through downed knight visors be good (bernard cornwall’s azincourt). oh and with a suitibly messy animation too match :evil:

• @Dussan:

@Sir:

The attack speed of the “spartan” class would need to be really slow to balance for its range/damage. Might need a delay in blocking due to retracting the spear too.

Or just a really long 2 handed spear with insane range and slowest attack in the game.

Whatever you do, don’t call it a “Spartan” class. Spartans weren’t the only people who used spears, pretty much everyone did. It really was a poor man’s weapon, affordable by every peasant and still very effective when used in groups, though it was shit when you were on your own (note that I’m talking about a long spear here, as used in formation warfare; shorter, wieldier spears can actually be very good individual combat weapons)

Anyway, AoC has a focus on the sort of individual combat where fighting with a spear doesn’t really shine. There’s teamplay, but no formation warfare. This is why a javelin class makes sense, while a spearman class doesn’t, in the way being described here. Short, wieldy spears are good for individual combat, but you just can’t really fight all that well with an eight foot pole if you don’t have people protecting you all the time. It could only be balanced by giving the spear unrealistic and unlogical properties, such as being able to stab from point blank range without a damage penalty. Alternatively, you could indeed make the spear a shit weapon to use in individual combat, and really make it a focused support weapon (such as the pike in Warband), giving it a different use altogether from most other weapons. The spearman would need a smaller hand weapon, though, such as a hatchet or short sword. Spearmen would shine when supporting other players by weaving in and out of combat and stabbing engaged opponents.

I believe this video has some good footage with commentary on early medieval spear warfare:Ixm6sXe1TYE
    My point being at 2:15-ish. That’s how shitty a spear is when you’re alone versus a swordsman.

In conclusion, I’d say that a focused spearman class would be a good addition if the spear has the following properties: Very long reach, medium damage, under-average speed, incapable of doing full damage when your opponent gets past the spear point. When used in two hands, both damage and speed get a boost. The ONLY thing in which a spear would be better than other weapons would be range, but that should in itself be enough, if the spearman gets a decent selection of backup weapons.

• @TheNarrator:

Whatever you do, don’t call it a “Spartan” class. Spartans weren’t the only people who used spears, pretty much everyone did. It really was a poor man’s weapon, affordable by every peasant and still very effective when used in groups, though it was shit when you were on your own (note that I’m talking about a long spear here, as used in formation warfare; shorter, wieldier spears can actually be very good individual combat weapons)

By calling it spartan class i meant spear & Shield……

• I thought it was a spartan class bcuz someone wanted to be like leonidas and throw the spear into smbdy then pull out a short sword and go mental…
    anways I think we mean a spearman class as in javelineer-without javelins but added armour and optional shield. Is that what we all mean?