Why wasn't walking and sprinting speed not based….

• Why wasn’t walking and sprinting speed not based in weapons and armor load out instead of class? What I mean buy this is that if you are carrying more weapons armor and shield you would move slower and why not give the options for not carrying secondary weapons? Thus if you only choose to carry one weapon you would move faster depending on weight of the weapon.

I understand that is the basis for classes but it seems to me that if you had a base speed for all players, gave them all the ability to sprint, dodge and rush, the speeds would vary upon the weight of the weapons and armor that they choose and give players the opportunity to choose 1 weapon or up to 3, degree of armor + - shields and have the speeds vary accordingly. Was this thought about, even possible to program or even possible to modify?

It seems that this would be a more accurate speed balancing mechanism.

Sorry, just thinking out loud and curious.

• I don’t understand why sprinting doesn’t take up Stamina like it did with AoC. I can just run away from combat indefinitely and with the fast health regen I just run away whenever my health is low.

• @Dr.Nick:

I don’t understand why sprinting doesn’t take up Stamina like it did with AoC. I can just run away from combat indefinitely and with the fast health regen I just run away whenever my health is low.

Unless the enemy actually chases you with the new “Chase Code” system that is in place. They will catch up with you eventually unless you have some friends nearby.

• The thing with sprinting away from fights to recover is that you have to stop sprinting and move slowly or not at all to regen health, which in my opinion, regens very slowly, there’s nothing to keep someone from chasing you.

• regardless I think in the end, stamina drain will be used to fix certain issues with the game like spaming, bunny hopping, jumping, sprinting in and out. U was just wondering about class speed issues and about why some classes had extra powers.

• Originally all of the classes moved at the same speed. This, along with no stamina drain on sprinting, was a conscientious decision to encourage teamwork for objective completion rather than the situation we saw all too often in AoC of the majority of players ignoring the objectives while on Man-at-Arms rushed them all alone.

Speeds were eventually modified slightly - the knight moves 10% slower and the vanguard 5% slower than the archer and MaA - just to give the lighter classes a more agile feel. Additionally, vanguards have slightly slower, and knights significantly slower strafe/backpeddal speed.

Speed based on weapons is unlikely to ever be added I think.

• Would you agree that a weapons and armor load out effecting speed and movement be more interesting and better balancing system if all the movement abilities were available to each class instead of class based special moves?

• I don’t know, sounds like a balancing nightmare to me. I currently use the Norse sword only on Knights, rarely even using the throwing axes. If I ditched my primary altogether (which given the possibility, I probably would) and ditched Axes too, I think I’d turn into an armoured MAA.

• Yeah but the armor load out would slow you down so that you couldn’t be a MAA. It would be a matter of adding a speed nerf relative to they type of armor. The heavier the plate/gauge the slower. So a MAA would still be faster due to the lightness of the armor. Armor levels would be the most significant quantifier of speed as it would in real life, weapons next and they would only be slight differences depending on length and materials, then the number of weapons or addition of shields.

So what you sacrifice for speed truly makes you more vulnerable thus making the classes, speed wise more balanced. Of course that would have to be some serious testing till the balances were achieved. Maybe this would be a great reason for a realism mod.

• sounds reasonable
    i agree with OP

• @Dr.Nick:

I don’t understand why sprinting doesn’t take up Stamina like it did with AoC. I can just run away from combat indefinitely and with the fast health regen I just run away whenever my health is low.

Enemies run faster than you when chasing. I can easily catch anyone even as a knight given enough time.

If sprinting took stamina, it would be even harder for a single skilled player to take on multiple enemies. This should be something encouraged if you’re skilled enough, not the other way around.

• Want this just so I can drop my bow and turn my archer into a thief class with the dagger.

• @UnknownXV:

@Dr.Nick:

Enemies run faster than you when chasing. I can easily catch anyone even as a knight given enough time.

If sprinting took stamina, it would be even harder for a single skilled player to take on multiple enemies. This should be something encouraged if you’re skilled enough, not the other way around.

I am confused. How does this work? Vanguards are the masters of running away (well MaA is really) then instantly turning 180 degrees and doing their special attack.