Constant 120fps?

• What settings are you running at to get constant 120fps? I’m running everything on the lowest and it still dips down to 90 on some maps. I can run the game on everything maxed out 120fps constant any map If I play solo (offline)
    But joining a server it gets down to around 60
    i got a i7 870 3.5ghz
    R9 290X tri-x

is is there something I could do to keep my fps pretty high without potatoconfig? Is the game more CPU bound when playing against others?

And please, don’t discuss if 60fps is enough or not.

ive got a 144hz monitor with freesync btw

• Also it’s weird. I can play battlefront on max settings and it’s real fluent. Same goes for csgo, bf4, gta5 but this game just feels like shit when it drops to below 100fps for some reason?

• Global Moderator

I don’t think anybody gets a solid 120 FPS. I mean it’s on unreal 3 so it’s not expected anyway. Games still playable.

• Well it’s mostly the fluctuations in fps that’s pretty harch. Playing on 120fps solo on max settings while getting half as soon as entering a multiplayer game is very noticeable. Maybe I just should lock the fps to 60 because game never drops below that anyway. I’ll just have to get used to it.

Thing is, as I posted before: this game doesn’t run well on 60fps. I can run bf4,battlefront,gta5 etc on max settings around those fps and the game runs very fluid. This game doesn’t

• Global Moderator

Some games definitely look smoother than other games at the same framerate. Dice games are silky smooth at 60 so I suspect there’s something more than just Framerate at play there.

But yeah I cappeed mine at 75. Partially because that’s also my monitors refresh rate. Large fluctuations above 60. But then the engine was never built to handle more than that. Hell a lot of UE3 games even more recent ones are capped at 30.

• Thanks for the answer, guess I’ll just cap the game lower instead and get used to it.

• Yes man, me too i always start at bottom low settings and i enjoy the game. Graphics are very secondary for me.

• @lemonater47:

Some games definitely look smoother than other games at the same framerate. Dice games are silky smooth at 60 so I suspect there’s something more than just Framerate at play there.

Yeah they call it motion blur

• I get 70-120fps using a 7 year old ATI 4870, a solid 120fps with a R9 270x on lowest settings and 90-120 on near MAX(I turn off things like bloom and some distance blur) and 5 ragdoll, 10 bloodsplatter. And with a 390 a solid 120fps on near MAX(same stupid things turned off) on most maps, some dipping to 110.

CPU is 4690k, so the CPU is doing a decent amount of the work.

This game needs a either a good CPU or GPU to run at constant 120fps and a half-decent counter-part.

Using the ATI 4870, frames were 30-60 on 720p with a E8600(core2 duo), 40-60+ with a Athlon x2 760k, and 70-120+ with a i5 4690k. So the CPU matters.

I’d recommend putting bloodplatter low and ragdoll low and turning off stupid effects you don’t need like ‘depth of field’ ‘bloom’ ‘turn bluriness’ and then switch off MXAA if that if what it’s set to, to an AA that uses less resources. Reduce shadows next, then foliage, then details until you get the fps you want.

If you have a good CPU you can get 120 with a mid-range and lowish mid-range GPU. And if you have a low-end CPU then you can make up for it with a good GPU.

Due to the age of the game it doesn’t require much to get 100+ fps and I personally feel anything above about 95~ fps is almost as good as 120.

edit: As many people already know, the amount of players in the game effect this, but these numbers are accurate for me around 24-30 player games, and at 32 players it can dip a bit. If your frames are really bad, play on the 24 player servers. There is one server I know of that goes up to 42 players where I get a constant 120fps, but they usually run small maps.

And I suppose it’s worth mentioning, if you are using a 60hz monitor then getting a constant 60 fps is what you should aim for, also not to hard to so. Or if your penny pinching then 50-60 can be done on the cheap and is almost as good, playable I’d say. And if you have a REAL crap computer, try running at lowering screen resolution, framerate is more important that FOV imo, at least in most cases. I played my first year of this game at 720p and it was still really fun.

• That’s some good info with some specs to back it up.

“I personally feel anything above about 95~ fps is almost as good as 120.”

You’ve hit the limit of human perception at 90-100 FPS. Above that, you really can’t tell the difference for video applications and mostly just need the overhead if you’re planning to run anything in 3D (which drops your max FPS to half per eye: 120FPS in 2D = 60 per eye FPS in 3D).

• Upgrade the i7 870, I did it a year ago, constant 120 now… (went to 4790k) I had the 860 and it could only smoothly play above 120fps with 16-24 players, if you moved to 32, you’d experience drops. :( the processor made a world of difference. Didn’t even need to upgrade my video card. GTX 670

• I am almost always at 120 fps.
    rag dolls to 4, decals to 4, max sight
    everything maxed but
    no dynamic light or light shafts
    no motion blur
    no dynamic shadows
    vignette off atm but I think I usually have it on
    bloom on
    Animation lod bias High medium

nvidia 970 no oc
    i5 4690k 3.8 ghz turbo no oc, in bios I turned off all the power savings, in power management as well
    evo cool master liquid cooling (cost 50$) cheapest one I could find
    8 gig ddr3 ram, cost under 100$
    SSD, but it shouldnt matter, it only helps load times

There is a program\tutorial you can download so you know what your bottleneck is for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGEN7JriJ2M

what are your temps like? you might have a layer of lint dust under your cpu fan

I play 32 man team objective. Some maps like the one where you push the cart up the hill drop below 120 but 90% dont.

Even though it says I am getting 120 fps it is not super smooth, I think id do better if I turned a few things down. 144hz monitor.

i got a i7 870 3.5ghz <– I think this is your bottleneck, most games rely on single threaded cpu performance, your stock speed is 2.9 right? that has to be it

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

• @RavnosCC:

Upgrade the i7 870, I did it a year ago, constant 120 now… (went to 4790k) I had the 860 and it could only smoothly play above 120fps with 16-24 players, if you moved to 32, you’d experience drops. :( the processor made a world of difference. Didn’t even need to upgrade my video card. GTX 670

Your video card is pretty good, you say not even needed to “upgrade” but it is rated higher than my relatively new GTX 870M on my laptop. Perhaps CPU makes a difference at some point, but a solid GPU is more important I would say.

• CPU speed makes a huge difference when running Chivalry, which doesn’t use multi-core processing much; an i9 at 2.3GHz won’t run as smooth as an i5 at 3.8GHz. This is why you hear reports that CSGO or Battlefield will run well on someone’s new hardware while Chivalry seems choppy; those games share over multi-cores more efficiently while Chivalry processes run 90% of the load on only one core, so processor speed is more important to Chivalry.

Note: I completely made up processor speeds to stage this example.

• @Reithur:

You’ve hit the limit of human perception at 90-100 FPS. Above that, you really can’t tell the difference for video applications and mostly just need the overhead if you’re planning to run anything in 3D (which drops your max FPS to half per eye: 120FPS in 2D = 60 per eye FPS in 3D).

This statement really bothers me. I see it everywhere. It is completely incorrect, and more people need to know that. The human eye does not perceive in frames per second. It’s far more advanced than that, and claiming it “can’t see over 30/60/90/100 fps” is hogwash. A simple google will back me up.

• Global Moderator

@Lann094:

This statement really bothers me. I see it everywhere. It is completely incorrect, and more people need to know that. The human eye does not perceive in frames per second. It’s far more advanced than that, and claiming it “can’t see over 30/60/90/100 fps” is hogwash. A simple google will back me up.

He means you won’t be able to see individual frames past that. Which is a true fact. No flicker. You get two TVs one at 90 FPS the other at 120 FPS and people will notice that there is a difference. But they cannot reliably day which one is which. It will be 50 50. 60-90 hoe EE is a different story most people will be able to get that right.

another strange thing. You take your hand in front of your face and shake it all around. It blurs in front of your eyes. You record that same hand shacking at 400 FPS and play it back real time on a 400hz screen and you won’t see it blur at all. Or at least not nearly as much depending on how fast you are moving your hand. That’s a really strange thing to see. Smoother than reality. But smoother Han reality starts at around 45 FPS for a person. However that actually varies a lot with things like tiredness and adrenalin swinging that value between 30 and 60.

• @Lann094:

You are correct; it’s not as simple as all of that. If you’re talking about pure chemical reactions to changes in amplitude of visible light in a retina’s rod cells, it’s a much higher response rate. But we’re talking about seeing and processing (understanding/comprehending) complex visual information that fills a majority of your eye. Human limits for actually processing what we see in a useful manner (i.e. decision making or reactions) is roughly equivalent to 100 FPS.

• @lemonater47:

He means you won’t be able to see individual frames past that. Which is a true fact. No flicker. You get two TVs one at 90 FPS the other at 120 FPS and people will notice that there is a difference. But they cannot reliably day which one is which. It will be 50 50. 60-90 hoe EE is a different story most people will be able to get that right.

another strange thing. You take your hand in front of your face and shake it all around. It blurs in front of your eyes. You record that same hand shacking at 400 FPS and play it back real time on a 400hz screen and you won’t see it blur at all. Or at least not nearly as much depending on how fast you are moving your hand. That’s a really strange thing to see. Smoother than reality. But smoother Han reality starts at around 45 FPS for a person. However that actually varies a lot with things like tiredness and adrenalin swinging that value between 30 and 60.

Do you really believe what you are saying? 100fps feels laggy to me compared to 120 or even 144fps. I don’t think you need eagle-eyes or be smart to feel the difference.

• Global Moderator

@filthypeasant:

Do you really believe what you are saying? 100fps feels laggy to me compared to 120 or even 144fps. I don’t think you need eagle-eyes or be smart to feel the difference.

Everyone else felt the same way as you until they were actually tested. Everyone feels the difference. But good luck telling me which is which lol.

• Sorry for bumping an old topic but: I dunno if it is my overclock (4ghz) or torn banner released magic patch but the game never drops a frame below 120fps anymore. Running 1080p on lowest settings. Haven’t tried a anything higher tho. Cheerio