What The Duel Community Wants

• I approve of this message.

• I think even the moderators can fix the map rotations.

• I’ll fix the map rotation.
    (this just involves me giving a finalized list to someone at TB; I can’t edit the configs)

I don’t play duel mode though, so which maps are good for it? Or rather, which ones totally suck and should be left out?

• @pWnDankosity:

I would like to see Official Duelyard Servers, hosted through TB.

Unfortunately these servers require like 5000% more moderating than regular ones. It’s just constant FFA noobs / trolls. There is one in my region (@singapore) and it’s a bit of a mess.

Constant Aussie trolls. Or just idiots who play FFA and don’t read the chat at all, even when I aoc_slomo 0.01 and shout at them in caps. I think all their brain power is being used to press the left mouse button.

• @dudeface:

I’ll fix the map rotation.
    (this just involves me giving a finalized list to someone at TB; I can’t edit the configs)

I don’t play duel mode though, so which maps are good for it? Or rather, which ones totally suck and should be left out?

I feel that the following maps should be left out

AOCDuel-Colosseum-CM_p - too large of a map for duels, specifically promotes archers
    AOCDuel-CastleAssault-CM_p - the spawns are glitched so a player can just stay in spawn and not be attacked, allowing for archers to camp.

I have no issues with any of the other maps.

• I agree with Cyrus. Castleassault is especially egregious because there are unreachable spawn zones, which are disastrously troll-y for archers.

AOCDUEL-Shaft_p is also universally hated, mostly because the elevator is too glitchy (and it’s a good archer troll map), but it’s whatever. People can always vote to change the map.

• @Sheepdude:

I agree with Cyrus. Castleassault is especially egregious because there are unreachable spawn zones, which are disastrously troll-y for archers.

AOCDUEL-Shaft_p is also universally hated, mostly because the elevator is too glitchy (and it’s a good archer troll map), but it’s whatever. People can always vote to change the map.

Oh yeah, shaft as well, forgot that even existed.

• @Lord:

Oh yeah, shaft as well, forgot that even existed.

lol shaft, archers shaft you in shaft.

• I agree to everything stated in this thread!

• How long does the approval process take? And are you merely submitting a change to the map rotation, or will we be able to vote for the maps on top of that? Right now the rotation is {moor (several times), castleassault, colosseum}, but the only mapvote option allowed is for moor.

• Somebody give me a consolidated list for maps and I’ll escalate it.

• AOCDUEL-Arena_Flat_p
    AOCDUEL-Arena_p
    AOCDUEL-Bridge_p
    AOCDUEL-Cistern_p
    AOCDUEL-Courtyard_p
    AOCDUEL-Dininghall_p
    AOCDUEL-FrostPeak_p
    AOCDUEL-Mines_p
    AOCDUEL-Moor_p
    AOCDUEL-Shipyard_p
    AOCDUEL-ThroneRoom_p
    AOCDUEL-Tower_p

• Thanks. I passed it on to the TB server guy.

• Sorry, was busy and forgot to do it myself -___-

• No worries.

Duel server rotations should be updated after servers restart tonight.

• This has killed the Official Duel servers for me. Moor is reasonably flat, reasonably close spawns and has good FPS. That’s the parts that promote dueling. That’s why Moor was the only map in rotation for a long time. The other maps are shit to duel on tbh if it’s the dueling you want to focus on. If you want the map to be part of the outcome, play these shit maps. Saying this I have over 18k duels logged on Official Duels so I probably have more duels than the guys who’s commented and ruined the mode alltogether.

At least make two of the EU server Moor only and keep one for the experimental maplist and see which ones keep being filled up.

@Sheepdude:

AOCDUEL-Arena_Flat_p
    AOCDUEL-Arena_p
    AOCDUEL-Bridge_p
    AOCDUEL-Cistern_p
    AOCDUEL-Courtyard_p
    AOCDUEL-Dininghall_p
    AOCDUEL-FrostPeak_p
    AOCDUEL-Mines_p
    AOCDUEL-Moor_p
    AOCDUEL-Shipyard_p
    AOCDUEL-ThroneRoom_p
    AOCDUEL-Tower_p

• Thank you so much Dudeface and Reithur. Even if the other concerns I posted aren’t addressed, the fact that you moderators were able to let us vote for maps other than moor again is really a welcome quality-of-life change for us duelists. I appreciate it and I’m sure many others will in the coming days.

• @uniVerse:

This has killed the Official Duel servers for me. Moor is reasonably flat, reasonably close spawns and has good FPS. That’s the parts that promote dueling. That’s why Moor was the only map in rotation for a long time. The other maps are shit to duel on tbh if it’s the dueling you want to focus on. If you want the map to be part of the outcome, play these shit maps. Saying this I have over 18k duels logged on Official Duels so I probably have more duels than the guys who’s commented and ruined the mode alltogether.

At least make two of the EU server Moor only and keep one for the experimental maplist and see which ones keep being filled up.

I’ll ask about flipping one of the servers back to Moor.

@Sheepdude:

Thank you so much Dudeface and Reithur. Even if the other concerns I posted aren’t addressed, the fact that you moderators were able to let us vote for maps other than moor again is really a welcome quality-of-life change for us duelists. I appreciate it and I’m sure many others will in the coming days.

We’ll have to wait and see if anything can be done about the rest of the list; their focus truly is on the new development for now.

• Looks like server modes are run by profiles; no unique profiles for these if if’s an Official mode. Map voting will still be allowed, though.

• I agree. There should be as much class flexibility as possible, so that only the armor, speed and range levels would actually define a class, and allow most weapons to be used by all classes, while giving each class a unique ability(charge attack for Vanguards, Monkey Grip/2handers with 1hand for Knights, bigger ranged weapons and/or zoom for Archers, and maybe a new mechanic for MAA, such as weapon deflection with attacks, or faster use of 1h weapons than the other classes).

A pikeman isn’t like those Vanguards, it’s a MAA with a long spear, so why not allow it? A centurion or a hoplite was at about that Vanguard’s armor and mobility level, so why not allow them to have shields? Knights way back, before field battles with a bunch of peasants, used bows for actual battles, instead of swords, which were used for tournaments, so why do Knights have to be walkin… scratch that! crawling targets for ranged weapons? And why do archers not have any reliable method of dueling besides sniping, instead of having good ways of fighting closely, or to protect themselves while wielding a bow or crossbow?

If you’re gonna go with realism, at least follow realism to the end, if not, let people enjoy their stylishness, right?