Contractions And The English Language

• Hello and welcome!

In this easy to follow guide, I will attempt to walk you through the proper use of contractions, as well as explain the different forms of punctuation. Please sit back, relax, and prepare to be blown away! First, let’s start with a definition!

• A contraction is a shortened version of the written and spoken forms of a word.

You may have noticed I used a contraction right before defining it, in the form of let’s (or let us.) This is the idea, to shorten a sentence by combining words. “He will” becomes he’ll, “they will” is they’ll, and “I cannot” is I can’t. By simply dropping some letters and adding an apostrophe, you’re well on your way to mastering this useful technique!

But wait, there’s (there is) more!
    There seems to be confusion revolving around proper application of these contractions. Let’s explore this issue. Your and you’re can be distinguished by the aforementioned apostrophe. You can see this in action in the following sentence; “You’re late for work, but I saved your coffee in case you came in.” The sentence started with the shortened form of “you are”, as in You are late for work. The second use of the word is not the same, as this use of the word “your” is possessive because “you own the coffee”, not “you are the coffee.”

This rule also applies to other words, such as Their, There, and They’re. Their is possessive, meaning they own. There is directional, as in over there. Finally, They’re is a contraction of They Are, just like You’re is You Are.

Now that you’ve (you have) acquired the necessary skills to distinguish between these forms of grammar, you’re ready to go out into the brave new world of basic language skills and give it a go! Just be careful; you don’t (do not) want to have too much fun! See if you can choose the correct answers below, then check your score;

1. "____ dog was barking all night long."
    A) Your
    B) You’re
    C) Yore
    D) None of the Above

2. "I love ____ hamburgers, ____ always good."
    A) There and Their
    B) Their and They’re
    C) They’re and There
    D) None of the Above

3. "I bought ___ packs of gum, gave one ___ Tommy and realized I bought ___ few."
    A) To, Two and Too
    B) Too, Two and To
    C) Two, Too and To
    D) None of the Above

If you answered all 3 of these questions correctly, congratulations, you’ve become a master of grammar! The answers are below.

1. A
    2. B
    3. D

• I’d like to buy an argument.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkjDuSVXiE

• Technically, 2 is D because the second “They’re” is capitalized.

• Why isn’t this in the console forum?

• I don’t exactly watch my grammar on the forums. This isn’t an essay question that has a grammar rubric. Idc what it looks like, as long as it gets my message across.

• @Firecracker999:

I don’t exactly watch my grammar on the forums. This isn’t an essay question that has a grammar rubric.

Congratulations, you paid attention and learned something. Now to see if you can use the proper form of “your” from now on, then this thread will have been worth it. Tell all your console friends that Knowledge is Power!

• @Oy:

Congratulations, you paid attention and learned something. Now to see if you can use the proper form of “your” from now on, then this thread will have been worth it. Tell all your console friends that Knowledge is Power!

Hope you’re happy

(10 chars)

• Success! I’ve done the impossible!!!

• @Oy:

I’ve done the impossible!!!

Oy= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yICai9wwRl4

• Whoa I just realized if u click on firefly personal pic it takes you to some hellsing unlimited youtube video

• @Firecracker999:

Whoa I just realized if u click on firefly personal pic it takes you to some hellsing unlimited youtube video

You found the easter egg ^^

• Firefly isn’t a person, he’s just a collection of youtube links. Also I made my first signature ever on these forums :)

• @Oy:

Firefly isn’t a person, he’s just a collection of youtube links.

When I’m sick, I puke youtube links.

• @Oy:

Firefly isn’t a person, he’s just a collection of youtube links. Also I made my first signature ever on these forums :)

I’m honoured to have my quote in your signature.