Team Player Names Above Heads

• Hi there,

I recently bought a 4-pack and gifted a couple of copies to my brother and a friend of mine. My suggestion is that there be an option to display your team’s player names above their heads when they’re nearby, so that you can find your friends quickly and group up with them. This small change would add so much to the gameplay for people that intend to play the game consistently with friends.

Perhaps also, though this would be slightly harder to implement, there should be a party option where you can join the same party as your friends outside of the game and have their names displayed in a different colour above their heads in-game from any distance at the push of a button.

Thanks for hearing me out. I really hope to see this implemented as playing with friends really isn’t as satisfying as I had hoped for the reason it’s too hard to fight with them side by side. Even if you don’t think this is a good idea, as someone who followed you from the Half-Life 2 mod a reply from a developer would be very much appreciated. Other than this I love the game. Thanks!

-Shikari

• @shikari:

Hi there,

I recently bought a 4-pack and gifted a couple of copies to my brother and a friend of mine. My suggestion is that there be an option to display your team’s player names above their heads when they’re nearby, so that you can find your friends quickly and group up with them. This small change would add so much to the gameplay for people that intend to play the game consistently with friends.

Perhaps also, though this would be slightly harder to implement, there should be a party option where you can join the same party as your friends outside of the game and have their names displayed in a different colour above their heads in-game from any distance at the push of a button.

Thanks for hearing me out. I really hope to see this implemented as playing with friends really isn’t as satisfying as I had hoped for the reason it’s too hard to fight with them side by side. Even if you don’t think this is a good idea, as someone who followed you from the Half-Life 2 a reply from a developer would be very much appreciated. Other than this I love the game. Thanks!

-Shikari

I support this suggestion. It’s completely necessary.

• You should skype. It’s really fun doing that. Makes communication and grouping easy and clear. But also you can BS around as you play lol

• Yes, we use mumble. Still, trying to communicate where you are verbally takes a lot longer than an instant visual indicator.

• I agree with all of this 100%. I’d like to see this implemented as well.

• It would be nice knowing who’s around you without having to hover over them to see their name. Maybe you could add friends and their name could be green, while others are white.

• Just wanted to let you know that we are working something to allow you to identify friends a bit easier.

• Make it like this.
    Red for enemies of course
    Blue for allies
    Green for frends
    Orange for clanmates

:-p

• Names above heads could be actually distracting and would break the immersion. Something more subtle, perhaps in the clothing/armor to mark your friends. And please think of us colorblind(red/green and whatnot) use contrast and colors that most of us see ;)

• @McM:

Names above heads could be actually distracting and would break the immersion. Something more subtle, perhaps in the clothing/armor to mark your friends. And please think of us colorblind(red/green and whatnot) use contrast and colors that most of us see ;)

I’d like to point out that there are several colorblind modes you can activate via console by typing colorblindsim - if you weren’t aware of this already. May improve your enjoyment of the game.

• As it is right now it is sometimes very hard to see the names of your allies. Like blue color on blue clothes and the placement is a bit bad.

Why not make the overhead names show for 4 sec when you hit capslock?

• Team Player names Above heads i say Nay 8-)

• I really enjoy the fact that there are no names over players heads.

• @b3h47pte:

Just wanted to let you know that we are working something to allow you to identify friends a bit easier.

Thanks very much for the reply. I’m glad to hear you’re working on this already :)

• Actually, there’s no problem for me to find my fellow clanmates on the battlefield, as I know which playstyle they prefere, so its not that hard for me to tell that its blaine, when I see a freaking archer with cudgel rushing me. Try to recognize their weapons / style.

• Just thought I’d clarify a couple of points brought up here. In regards to immersion, I can understand why you wouldn’t want player names above people’s heads. I have very much the same opinion and this is why I suggested it as an option in the settings. For me, however, that slight sacrifice is well worth it if I can find my friends quickly. The toggle or “push-to-see” button for visualising your team-mates position would be a perfect balance, I feel.

Also mentioned was “trying to recognise their play-style”. This to me is even worse than trying to explain where you are over VoIP. Considering there are 4 different classes and a few weapons to customise each, I find on most servers trying to differentiate between an a Man-at-Arms who’s your friend from any other simply by the way they play completely flawed. Maybe if your friend’s play style was to repeatedly dive off a cliff you’d be able to recognise him, but to most the aim of the game is to complete the objectives and to kill the guys that want to turn your brain into a thin sauce. Something that looks pretty much the same whoever is playing.

• @shikari:

The toggle or “push-to-see” button for visualising your team-mates position would be a perfect balance, I feel.

That would reduse the unnecessary clutter caused by the names, it should only work with your own team though, otherwise you could find hiding enemies easier. It just wouldn’t be fair to them.

• @Jake:

@shikari:

The toggle or “push-to-see” button for visualising your team-mates position would be a perfect balance, I feel.

That would reduse the unnecessary clutter caused by the names, it should only work with your own team though, otherwise you could find hiding enemies easier. It just wouldn’t be fair to them.

Hiding enemies in a game called Chivalry. Yes, god forbid we do anything to discourage their cowardly tactics :P

• @SlyGoat:

@Jake:

@shikari:

Hiding enemies in a game called Chivalry. Yes, god forbid we do anything to discourage their cowardly tactics :P

Here’s another way I can put it: what if you don’t like somebody on the other team? You could make a B-line straight to them, and kill them over and over. :P

• @Jake:

Here’s another way I can put it: what if you don’t like somebody on the other team? You could make a B-line straight to them, and kill them over and over. :P

This also sounds chivalrous to me. 8-)