How to get good at bows?

• My aim currently sucks with the bow. I want to unlock the war bow but its so damn hard because I cant hit anything. So I come here to ask you guys how can I improve my aim?

• Best to stick with the first bow (longbow) even though you might already have unlocked the shortbow. That way you can master the longbow’s speed and arrow-drop. Then you have to start recognizing walking patterns and dodges. Most people tend to zig-zag their way to you.
    Also, if you’re going for the kills: don’t shoot arrows across the map, but go with your teammates so you can easily shoot occupied enemies full of arrows from close range.

Pro tip: use bodkin arrows.

• I agree with pretty much all of what smoking has said, however I’d like to add a few points that might help.

Shortbow may actually be your best best (with bodkins), it allows you to get more shots off, which is useful in closer range (which ideally is where you want to be using a bow). Bows are for close/ medium range and honestly if you want to pull off distant shots reliably then your best choice is a crossbow, yes longbow and warbow can be effective at quite a distance, but the crossbows win out as they are practically sniper rifles.

Basically keep enough distance away from a fight that your well out of charging range, and as soon as an enemy vanguard approaches that range draw your melee weapon and be ready to retreat to a further distance if need be. Don’t be one of those people who keeps on firing until the enemy is right up in there face.

Buddy up, by this I mean follow around a decent melee player (keeping the distance I mentioned before) or follow around a group of your team, and always keep them inbetween you and the enemy.

Try to stay near cover whenever possible to retreat behind if you come under heavy fire, however always try to stay in an area where you are fully aware of your surroundings so no enemies sneak up on you.

Pick your targets, shoot enemies on low HP they are your priority as you likely can one hit kill them. If there aren’t any enemies on low HP go for enemies coming into or hovering around the fight, try not to, unless your confident, shoot at enemies close to teammates in melee.

Try to shoot enemies who aren’t aware of you as they tend to move in a more direct and predictable manner, for example they may run straight into a fight as opposed to zig zag.

Go for body shots most of the time, unless you think you have a clear shot.

When shooting lead your targets, so if they are going right shoot slightly ahead of them in that direction, if someone zig zags shoot into the middle of the area they are zig zagging (where the zig zag crosses).

When you have a specific target it mind don’t rush your shot too much, dont do any sudden movements of the mouse, do smooth movements and try and line it up right.

However when you don’t really have any target in mind, for example a large group of enemies is approaching from a distance keep a high rate of fire which will act as a sort of suppressive fire, and chances are your going to hit one by the time they have come within a more ideal range for precision shots.

And finally melee, ideally stay out of it but if your good at melee choose sabre, if your not then go for thrusting dagger or shortsword. The reason for this is both thrusting dagger and shortsword are incredibly fast weapons and even decent players tend to panic parry when you get within distance. With shortsword basically JUST use stabs and with the thrusting dagger mainly use overhead stabs. A good way to force a panic parry is to get close, look down suddenly, and back up then when they parry wait until it lowers and attack. Honestly one of the scariest things to face is a madman with a thrusting dagger ha.

• You need to get closer to the enemies and know when to draw out your secondary. If you use shortbow you can fire off arrows at a rapid rate and once you become decent with it enemies shouldn’t be able to get close to you in melee, I’d argue that shortbow outshines both sling and light crossbow in public TO. Also don’t lead your shots, let the enemy run into your aim and then shoot.

You can easily do stuff like this and rely on the aimpunch from getting shot, or things like this if you really have to. I would suggest not waiting until the last second, but it works at times, also if you weapon switch you can instantly bypass the delay by attacking or parrying instantly.

Archer is the easiest class in game, there’s high risk and low reward, I just love to do stupid shots and take risks by shooting a charging vanguard in the head or avoiding attacks with body movement and then take a shot or pull out my secondary. You don’t want to sit far back, you want to be somewhat close to the objective, you can use your team mates as meatshields and continue shooting people for ez damage. I’d suggest to try and keep a 3 meter radius free of enemies, if anyone gets inside that you pull out your secondary, if not, just shoot. The closer to the fight you are the lower your chances for hitting team mates are, and the higher the chances are for you to hit someone with your bow. Faster weapons are more forgiving and also more annoying.

For melee, always use shortsword, saber is only good against other archers, cudgel can be decent in FFA or when you have to parry multiple people; Thrusting dagger is alright, but shortsword is defo the best weapon in the archer melee arsenal.

• I would love to play shortbow more, but I get this bug where oftentimes I release my mouse button to fire the arrow and… it simply doesn’t fire.

• @Roro:

And finally melee, ideally stay out of it but if your good at melee choose sabre

What’s your reasoning behind this?

Though I personally believe the longbow is superior, I’ve been playing nothing but shortbow for the past couple months and everything Xylvion said is pretty much right on the money. If you’re gonna run around with shortbow, play the objective with your team and keep a buffer zone between them and the enemy. Learn to recognize when to shoot and when to pull out your secondary and jump into the fight.

• The sabre is more dashing and stylish.

• @dudeface:

I would love to play shortbow more, but I get this bug where oftentimes I release my mouse button to fire the arrow and… it simply doesn’t fire.

Wow, are u actually saying this no-fire arrows is a bug? Seriously, I thought it’s a problem on my end since my mouse tends to click-click sometimes (I need a new mouse). It happens way too often, but I always thought that’s because of my mouse.

@ practice makes perfect. Bows are really the only real fun with archers. I love blowing heads off. It never gets old!

• My reasoning behind using the sabre is honestly part preference (so sort of biased), and part to do with how it performs.

As Xylvion said its better against archers and lighter classes, you can sneak up on an archer and 2 hit kill them with overhead’s, which can be very useful at times.

Its also more versatile, as its slash and overhead are more decent that the shortsword and these are useful when dealing with maa’s footwork, for example if they try to side dodge behind you, to the left, you can alt slash.

It has more reach which again gives more options in combat.

Due to its versatility its a better training tool to get used to Chiv combat, the shortsword is easier to pick up and get good with, as its very stab centric, that’s why I suggested it as a weapon if he wasn’t good at melee.

Basically I think it encourages a better playstyle that can be adapted to other weapons in chiv more easily,whereas the shortsword is very specific in how its used.

Oh and as dudeface said it is certainly more dashing and stylish, especially with the new skins.

• Oh ok. Actually, I use nothing but the horsebow and the ottoman sabre. I look freakin’ cool while doing it.

I just never heard anyone advocate the sabre before so i wanted to hear the thoughts on it. :P

• @burza:

Wow, are u actually saying this no-fire arrows is a bug? Seriously, I thought it’s a problem on my end since my mouse tends to click-click sometimes (I need a new mouse). It happens way too often, but I always thought that’s because of my mouse.

@ practice makes perfect. Bows are really the only real fun with archers. I love blowing heads off. It never gets old!

I think it is a bug. I’ve never gotten much traction complaining about it as everyone just assumes it is a mouse problem. It’s done this forever tho, and I’ve gone through 2 mice.

• One thing I’d like to add: try not to get involved in ranged archer duels. Only approach enemy archers if there is no other target or if you can get a clean shot. Try to take cover instead and keep firing at the melees as they usually are the easier target. Pick them off one by one while the enemy archer is busy wasting his ammo trying to get you.

• I use nothing but the horsebow and the ottoman sabre. I look freakin’ cool while doing it.

Ha, you have good taste my friend.

One thing I’d like to add: try not to get involved in ranged archer duels.

Oh and this x10, especially from very long range. The amount of times I’ve had 3-4 archers on the other team trying to snipe me from halfway across the map as I easily avoid their arrows by simply moving or side strafing. If you want to be an anti archer sniper use the crossbow, either Heavy or normal should do just fine, as they have high projectile speed and can 1 hit kill an archer.

• Honestly I think Bows are pointless really, only thing they have going for them is a fast reload but even then you could use a sling. Plus you can run with the sling just have to be a bit more accurate