Kinect with Chivalry

• So basically I want to make an addon to get this game working with the kinect for xbox 360. I have done it before with Minecraft so it is not impossible. It would entail basic gesture recognition. ie. pulling back a bow,swinging a sword, and kicking to name a few. I would making the whole thing and update it every time i can as to add new features.

So you may be wondering why it looks like I’m asking for permission? Well I was planning on doing it anyway, but if other people want to I can make a good UI as to let others enjoy it. I would also like constructive criticism on how things should be done because often I get my best ideas off what others say. I like feedback as it helps me improve and make it better for my own uses.

Now to address a few common points I hear when I mention something like this:

Q: I played the kinect on xbox and it was unresponsive at times!
    A: That is a limitation due to xbox, it runs very smoothly on the computer as long as you have a decent computer.

Q: Why would I use this it makes me worse at the game?
    A: It is meant to be for fun, not to improve your sword skill in game.

Q: Why would I want to move around while playing my games?
    A: This would not be for you then, I enjoy doing it every so often because it gives me a neww way to play a game.

Q: Do you make any money off of this?
    A: Not a dime, under the terms and conditions for the kinect sdk I can not legally draw revenue from my work, I do it as a hobby.

Q: What would I need?
    A: Just an xbox 360 kinect, it does not need to be registered or anything. You could borrow someone else’s.

So now that I am comfortable with the game mechanics I am starting, First off lets start with what I have decided:
    movement + jumping will have a selection of 3 types:
    Standard walking (problem is you can only move forward)
    Holding up right leg to move (same problem as previous)
    Coordinate based walking (move based on your starting position)
    here is a diagram:

Jumping will be actual jumping

Fighting All movements with weapons will be similar to into battle, here is the list of different types of weapons:
    Bows
    crossbows
    javelins
    spears
    sword + shield
    everything else

Switching weapons:
    right hand by hip for #1
    left hand by hip for #2
    here is where i need a suggestion for a motion for #3 and #4

Classes:
    men at arms is the only unique on as to be specified

Kicking will be in as well

I plan to be able to be able to complete basic training eventually. There has been a lot of unexpected bugs which have been solved. I have a lot of work in the upcoming week along with Halo 4 coming out, but i will continue to work on it.

Here is the current look of the application: (more will be added as it is needed)
    AUgAIr1Xc-8

The video is not the greatest but it is what I got for now. It is very plain right now and if you want to make a graphic, the dimensions are 545 tall and 840 wide.

If you want to look at my previous work, here is a link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/576 … minecraft/
    I have improved a lot in my work since when i made that. The videos are not the best as they were laggy due to the recording software, but it runs smoothly normally.

So how many of you would want something like this? Please comment as I need input.

• I would absolutely LOVE to give this a go! If you are going to make it anyway then feel free to add me to some pm list or what have you. More power to you mr. genius man.

• See in my opinion, this could be fun, but then again it is not for everyone. Honestly if you are going to use it, why not make it? This is mainly taking from your time and you are not in it for a profit, so why not make it and then those who would like to use it will. Those who won’t, just wont :D

• well its actually possible lol… i already played gta4 with kinect on PC… you just need to get the programm"faast" and follow the install steps.
    After that you have to configure it for Kinect and it should work, here is an example what I did with faast:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxI5XXRDO0k

Im still at the beginning how to configure all but in their forums you can download several configs for other games

http://projects.ict.usc.edu/mxr/faast/

• @ProHunter:

well its actually possible lol… i already played gta4 with kinect on PC… you just need to get the programm"faast" and follow the install steps.
    After that you have to configure it for Kinect and it should work, here is an example what I did with faast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxI5XXRDO0k

Im still at the beginning how to configure all but in their forums you can download several configs for other games

I have used FAAST before, but I stopped for several reasons. It relies on two other software’s that would update and mess everything up, the toolkit its self is not very flexible and certain things are very difficult to do, and to give someone your file is like handing out your source code.

The SDK allows me to gestures, walking and various other things far better. It also takes up fewer computer resources. It works better for more complicated tasks such as these.

I understand that this is not for everyone and i do plan to make it. I just did not want to keep it all to myself if other people wanted it. It only is a small modification to let others use it. I also like the feedback aspect so when I’m stuck on which motion should do something, I can get some suggestions. Plus the idea of getting some form of kinect only tournament would be interesting.

• @Specinator:

@ProHunter:

well its actually possible lol… i already played gta4 with kinect on PC… you just need to get the programm"faast" and follow the install steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxI5XXRDO0k

I have used FAAST before, but I stopped for several reasons. It relies on two other software’s that would update and mess everything up, the toolkit its self is not very flexible and certain things are very difficult to do, and to give someone your file is like handing out your source code.

The SDK allows me to gestures, walking and various other things far better. It also takes up fewer computer resources. It works better for more complicated tasks such as these.

I understand that this is not for everyone and i do plan to make it. I just did not want to keep it all to myself if other people wanted it. It only is a small modification to let others use it. I also like the feedback aspect so when I’m stuck on which motion should do something, I can get some suggestions. Plus the idea of getting some form of kinect only tournament would be interesting.

I’m glad your going for it and yea a kinect only tournament would actually be very interesting. I would love to get an update on this from time to time to see how its going for you :D.

• Kinect with Chivalry- PURE WIN! Would love to see this happen. I don’t understand why people would vote No?

I’d like to see Kinect-only servers pop up as I know Kinect-users would get owned by the regular players.

Good exercize and fun. I’d be interested how you work out movement. I assume a handheld controller for WASD movement would still be necessary? All the rest could be taken care of with gestures (stab, slash and overhead attacks).

• @SoCalDistortion:

Kinect with Chivalry- PURE WIN! Would love to see this happen. I don’t understand why people would vote No?

I’d like to see Kinect-only servers pop up as I know Kinect-users would get owned by the regular players.

Good exercize and fun. I’d be interested how you work out movement. I assume a handheld controller for WASD movement would still be necessary? All the rest could be taken care of with gestures (stab, slash and overhead attacks).

I am surprised by the number of yes’s I got. I thought it would be less than 20%. The idea of a kinect only server would be great, but would require some form of mod to make sure people did not cheat. i think a clan of some sort would be nice, and we just arrange matches every once and awhile. Movement is still up in the air, but I don’t think you will need a controller if it all works out.

• I will worship thy feet if you make this happen. Best of luck!

• Great idea, If only you would make it for the Wii control :) (that’s what i have at home) If somebody could do it for the Wii it would be great!! And I would certainly try it.

• @Specinator:

@SoCalDistortion:

Kinect with Chivalry- PURE WIN! Would love to see this happen. I don’t understand why people would vote No?

I am surprised by the number of yes’s I got. I thought it would be less than 20%. The idea of a kinect only server would be great, but would require some form of mod to make sure people did not cheat. i think a clan of some sort would be nice, and we just arrange matches every once and awhile. Movement is still up in the air, but I don’t think you will need a controller if it all works out.

Hopefully there will be a way to make the movements as close to what would be used in real-life. Add Oculus VR to the mix and this could be awesome… as long as there is an easy way to add Oculus support to existing games.

• @SoCalDistortion:

Hopefully there will be a way to make the movements as close to what would be used in real-life. Add Oculus VR to the mix and this could be awesome… as long as there is an easy way to add Oculus support to existing games.

If I had $300 to throw down on the oculus VR I would, but I don’t have money to blow right now. It would also seem rather heavy to move around a lot with it on.

I have made a video of my current progress. It is slightly behind schedule due to some troublesome bugs. I again have a heavy week work wise ahead of me so I can’t promise a whole lot of progress. I did unlock all the weapons in game so I can properly test them.

• The wiimote works quite well too ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PZ8pcJbAO4
    Could be a fake though.

• I would definitely borrow my friend’s kinect and play it, but only if there are going to be kinect-only matches. As you said it’d be much easier if kinect users simply formed a clan and played in their own private servers, and if that’s what is going to be - well count me in!

If there aren’t going to be any of the sort however I can see myself growing frustrated very quickly and abandoning it once the “novelty” feeling wears off and I start looking at my deaths count.

• Just one question. the spears overhead is still a sort of thrusting motion just done lower. Will you adapt that to the kinect or will it be the same as other weapons?

• This is actually a fantastic idea, and I think you could really pull it off with more work and dedication!! It has great potential!

• Good!